Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

help i dont know whats wrong with me - abdominal pains

(91 Posts)
juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 19:26:46

i have bad abdominal pains a lot like period pains. about 4.30pm today i laid down as i felt really sick (was sick last night and had terrible nausea that i haven't had for a long long time)

anyway, since 4.30 ive had really bad 'period' pains getting stronger then easing off again then creeping back up to painful again. It is pretty much all over but particularly noticable in the right hand side. The cramping is making me feel sick when its bad i dont know what it is.

i was due on my period on Saturday but have not yet come on so i dont know if this is a whole big build up and thats why its painful? i dont know. please has anyone got any suggestions as to what it could be?

if it carries on im going docs tomorrow morning

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 19:30:01

they are now mostly gone for now, but i knwo they will be back very soon

Frrrrightattendant Wed 13-Oct-10 19:38:45

Okay, could you be pg? Have you tested? If you have a spare test in the cbd, do it now.

Rule that out. Other two things that spring to mind are appendicitis or ectopic pregnancy. I know very little about either but I would try to be seen tonight if the pain is very bad.

Have you got an out of hours near you? Is anyone with you?

Frrrrightattendant Wed 13-Oct-10 19:39:58

RH side is classic appendicitis. I'm trying to link in the absent period here though - it may or may not be related.

If you push on your right side where its hurting does it hurt more to push in or let go?
My appendacitus hurt a lot more to 'let go' thats how the dr's knew what it was.

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 19:44:55

ive just had a little prod around and it doesn't seem to be making anything hurt at the moment as the cramping has died down for now - its just a constant dull ache. Im hoping its not my appendix

amidaiwish Wed 13-Oct-10 19:49:20

seriously do a pg test. if it is ectopic you need to be seen fast. is 4/5 days late, late for you iykwim?

DanceOnTheDarkSide Wed 13-Oct-10 19:51:26

Do a test to rule out ectopic - however small the chance that you could be pg.

TitsalinaBumPumpkin Wed 13-Oct-10 19:55:52

I think you would know if it was your Appendix.

Is there any chance at all you could be pregnant? Test anyway, ectopics can be very serious.

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 20:01:33

i just did some googling and had eptopic screaming at me too which has scared the shit out of me.

yes there is a small chance i could be pregnant as i started last month's pack of pills late due to running out and having to wait a week for a docs apointment - so this month's might not have worked properly

the cramping is coming back again now, although not bad in my side just yet. its really horrible i hate it when it is just period pains let alone the risk of a dangerous pregnancy.

i dont want to be pregnant it would be my worst nightmare 9yes i know thats why i should have been more careful with my pill). ive also got an exam next tuesday which im struggling to revise for as it is now this

i feel poo. wanna go and get a test but my dp isn't round until gone 9pm

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 20:02:02

ectopic even

amidaiwish Wed 13-Oct-10 20:07:34

i don't want to frighten you but if i were you i would go to A&E fast.

LowLevelSlashing Wed 13-Oct-10 20:08:45

My first thought was appendicitis as your symptoms sound similar to mine - nausea, pain starting off lower abdominal ("period pains") and moving to the right side. You won't necessarily know if it's your appendix - mine was not detected early enough and 'burst' inside me...

Whether it's ectopic, appendicitis or something else, I really think you should get it checked out. At least phone the out of hours doc or NHS Direct. Please.

Hope you are OK.

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 20:10:08

been doing some googling if hypathetically i am pregnant does it sound like it could just be non-serious uterus cramping? or does it sound worse than that?

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:11:34

Please ring NHS direct and ask for advice - 0845 4647.

Hope you're OK

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:13:00

Do you have any other symptoms?

Are you able to get a pg test quite soon?

amidaiwish Wed 13-Oct-10 20:14:19

personally i think it sounds worse, but i am no doctor. no one on here can tell you what it is, if you can't go to A&E then please ring NHS direct. don't hang about.

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:15:12

can you stand up straight without pain? Does it make it worse when you do?

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 20:19:52

im starting to feel twinge cramps in the other side a bit now too

ive just rang NHS direct and they will call in the next 6 hours

robino Wed 13-Oct-10 20:20:33

I didn't know I had appendicitis - took them 4 days to confirm it was appendicitis because mine was hiding and not in the typical place. I definitely think it's worth getting yourself checked out.

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 20:22:30

standing up and walking around doesn't make the pain better or worse - its not too bad again now.

apart from when it was painful in my right side it is exactly the same as bad period pains which come over in waves

it feels like im about to come on except i haven't

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:23:31

Did you tell them you're having pain on the other side too now?

Sorry, but it's really starting to sound like appendicitis - pain can move across to the other side of your abdomen. How bad is the pain, do you need to keep pressure on it, can you move about without wincing etc?

If the pain goes suddenly goes, call an ambulance. They will prioritise the call according to symptoms anyway, so don't worry about wasting their time.

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 20:24:39

i will definately be going to the docs first thing in the morning and getting a pregnancy test on the way.

im sitting here dreading when the pain is going to come back! if the doc suspects my appendix will i be sent to hospital straight away, or will i have to wait for an appointment and all that crap?

thanks everyone for your support tonight

BatBrainsPumpkinHead Wed 13-Oct-10 20:26:32

i had a ruptured ovarian cyst. symptoms started off similar, but were so bad that i couldnt physically walk across the floor. I think you need attention before 6hrs, I was try to get yourself to A&E to get checked out asap. Sorry but it sound pretty serious.

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 20:27:43

its not pain as in sharp or unbearable pain, its like aching pain- managable but uncomfortable. although its not uncomfortable at the moment, just there as a dull ache.

didn't say about it in the other side as its not bad, it just feels like what has been in the middle has stretched along to the other side now and has died right down in the right side

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:29:17

If they suspect appendicitis you need to get to the hospital right away.

Sorry to panic you, it may well not be any of these things, but the reason people are urging you to call NHS direct and perhaps go to A&E is that there is a chance that it is an ectopic or appendicitis and both of these need immediate attention.

Did you see the spookycharlotte thread a few months back? (sorry to reference another thread, but I think it's relevant here)

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:30:22

right, just read your update - PLEASE call NHS direct and explain that the pain has moved across your abdomen, that's a classic sign of appendicitis and you need to be seen.

0845 4647.

Please let us know how you get on, don't wait until the morning..

amidaiwish Wed 13-Oct-10 20:30:28

it is quite easy to check for appendicitis, A&E/the GP should be able to diagnose it. the fact that you are "dreading" the pain is going to come back shows how serious this is, i am sure you have never had period pain as severe as this!

please phone NHS direct back if they don't call within the hour. or even better pop to A&E.

juicychops Wed 13-Oct-10 20:38:02

my ds will be here in 10 mins so im going to go now to get a pg test. i have written the NHS direct number down and will call it if it gets worse again

i will post back tomorrow after the docs and hopefully be able to tell you it is something as stupid as trapped wind!

thank you everyone for your advice it is very much acnowledged and appreciated smile

wish me luck!

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:40:54

PLEASE PLEASE ring NHS direct and tell them about the pain moving to the left. Please. Just to amuse me...

Really hope you're OK and it's something completely innocuous.

Come back and update us later. Hope you're OK x

good luck though

amidaiwish Wed 13-Oct-10 20:42:39

yes don't forget to update us, i will be worrying about you! (in between sobbing over the chilean miners. i am losing it today grin)

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:42:43

and not wanting to scare you, but have a look here

amidaiwish Wed 13-Oct-10 20:44:39

992 posts Jareth- what's the punchline?

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:45:33

punchline? She had an ectopic pregnancy. The thread starts off similar to this one.

I'm just worried about the OP.

amidaiwish Wed 13-Oct-10 20:49:41

sorry i didn't mean to be flippant. just wanted to know what happened.

robino Wed 13-Oct-10 20:53:27

If you go to A and E they will ( I believe) automatically do a preg test anyway. Please, just call NHS direct or go to A and E.

robino Wed 13-Oct-10 20:54:49

sorry, to clarify - they automatically did a preg test for me when I went in with abdominal pains.

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 20:55:45

No, it's OK, it's a long thread.

OP - please come back and let us know how you are?

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 22:40:10

juicy, are you still there, or have you signed off for the night? x

BatBrainsPumpkinHead Wed 13-Oct-10 23:45:33

you ok juicy?

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 23:46:42

Hopefully she's asleep and has no more pain. Really hoping she saw my last post though

BatBrainsPumpkinHead Wed 13-Oct-10 23:52:39

i know, its worrying. she really should have gone to a&e not wait for the within 6hr call back.

IMoveTheStars Wed 13-Oct-10 23:54:51

confused

should have linked the SC thread earlier.

BatBrainsPumpkinHead Thu 14-Oct-10 00:04:12

i dont know how much good it would have done op seemed keen to not want it to be anything. at least she had dp arriving so wouldnt be one here own. almost everyone was saying get to a&e or pester NHS direct (didnt that get stopped? or is it in the process of being stopped?)

BatBrainsPumpkinHead Thu 14-Oct-10 00:05:11

arrgh stray e's *on her own

Still hope she is ok though.

blinks Thu 14-Oct-10 00:21:52

i work for nhs24 which is similar to nhs direct but our maximum indication call back time is 3hrs.

i can't speak for them (NHS direct) but we ask safety questions to prioritise the call and with abdo pain, obviously the first question is 'is it possible you could be pregnant'... if caller answers yes, it prompts more questions with potential ectopic symptoms. if she's been told 6hr call back, it indicates that the outcome was that ectopic is unlikely.

BUT, I was on the spookycharlotte thread and her pretty typical symptoms weren't taken seriously enough and it quickly became a medical emergency.

i would say that if there's a chance of pregnancy and you have a persistent abdominal pain, A&E is the best place to be. it could be a number of things including ectopic- ovarian cyst, endometriosis, severe period pain, appendicitis etc.

and NHS Direct isn't being scrapped, just changed so there won't be as many clinicians. NHS 24 will remain the same nurse led service as always.

IMoveTheStars Thu 14-Oct-10 00:40:14

blinks, I hope the OP sees your post.

BatBrainsPumpkinHead Thu 14-Oct-10 09:46:01

Thanks blinks.

OP how are you today? <worried>

LowLevelSlashing Thu 14-Oct-10 10:11:23

Bump.

Hoping you're ok OP.

IMoveTheStars Thu 14-Oct-10 10:26:59

[bump]

RockBat Thu 14-Oct-10 10:42:36

Bump again...

amidaiwish Thu 14-Oct-10 10:46:14

popped back to check on juicy. hope you went to A&E. let us know how you are.

DanceOnTheDarkSide Thu 14-Oct-10 13:27:45

Has the OP been around anywhere else on MN today?

juicychops Thu 14-Oct-10 16:05:50

Hi everyone sorry this is my first update since last night, been at work all day and only just got home.

dp came round and i then went to a&e. felt really stupid and like i was wasting their time as the pains had almost gone, but went to be safe.

got seen by the first nurse when i first arrived and they did a pregnancy test which was negative, and took blood samples.

i then waited another hour - by now it was 10.40pm and an announcement came on saying due to staff shortages there is a 3-4 hour wait from checking in. so at 10.40 i still had another 2-3 hour wait which i just couldn't do. I was tired and not in pain anymore so i spoke to the nurse who said she thought it was unlikely to be my appendix as i wasn't in much pain although sometimes they grumble for a while before anything serious happens. so if its that the blood test will show this.
she said i can just wait for the blood test results to get to my docs in 5 days which is what i decided to do.

maybe i was silly not hanging around but was so tired and the thought of waiting for another 2-3 hours for them to say its probably just period pains where im late just made up my mind.

i have had the pains on and off all day although now it is just like moderate period pains and they are really low down in my abdomen. been taking paracetamol which has been keeping them under control and i have had a bit of trapped wind too (which maybe making it worse?)

i will just keep an eye on the pains and see how they go. Im hoping i will come on in the next day or two as my belly is feeling a bit bloated now too.

did feel a bit sick again earlier too but that has now passed. feel like im a walking disaster!

amidaiwish Thu 14-Oct-10 17:09:40

well a relief not ectopic pg. do keep an eye on yourself though! that didn't sound like extreme period pain to me.
glad you went to A&E.

juicychops Thu 14-Oct-10 17:26:04

thanks amidaiwish will be keeping a close eye on my pains

bit worried that i may not come on at all though. can hospital pregnancy tests be wrong? if i haven't come on by sunday then i might go another test just to be sure

Frrrrightattendant Thu 14-Oct-10 17:36:32

I have read that you can have an ectopic pregnancy with a negative test, so please don't rule it out.

I'm not sure what to suggest apart from going to the EPU and asking for a scan.

Someone on here will know what to do.

amidaiwish Thu 14-Oct-10 19:23:09

do another test first thing tomorrow morning.
with DD1 i did a test which was faintly positive
then in the evening it was negative
but very strong positive the next morning.

so try again first thing tomorrow. (early morning wee!)

juicychops Thu 14-Oct-10 20:52:46

thanks ok il get a test in the morning on the way to work. Il let you know what it says tomorrow afternoon. The pains are completely gone for now. even debating whether to go for a run but perhaps i shouldn't

BatBrainsPumpkinHead Thu 14-Oct-10 21:05:02

runners are weird wink rest. You should give your body a break when it has been giving you grief.

blinks Thu 14-Oct-10 22:58:14

if your period is late though and you have ongoing low abdo pain/nausea, really you should have stayed at A&E. that would be the safest option. even if the pain has eased slightly. i know it's not appealing to hang about for hours but if it is an ectopic pregnancy, it can be potentially fatal. not worth the risk in my opinion.

IMoveTheStars Fri 15-Oct-10 08:49:35

How are you today OP?

BatBrainsPumpkinHead Fri 15-Oct-10 14:33:03

bump.

juicychops Fri 15-Oct-10 18:02:44

Hi everyone. felt ok today. the feeling is still there a tiny bit it feels a bit like i have constipation although not hurting or uncomfortable.s

till not done a pregnancy test. i got up late and had to rush to get to work on time, although i think im also half putting it off too just incase it is positive. i just cant deal with that as well as this exam on tuesday and feel i have better chance at gettin through this exam if i dont know .

may sound stupid, but really cant deal with the added pressure doing a test might bring so would prefer to not know blush

lissieloucifer Fri 15-Oct-10 18:06:22

right, time for tough love.

you HAVE to do a pregnancy test. if there is a chance you are pg and you are getting abdo pains, feeling sick and dizzy, you have to find out if you are up the pole. putting it off wont change the end result, and you could be putting your life at risk. do not piss about

amidaiwish Fri 15-Oct-10 18:16:38

juicy - my mum nearly passed out with an ectopic pg. she was due to get on a plane so went to the doctor to "get something". she was rushed to A&E. if she had got on the plane it would have ruptured and she could have died. please don't put it to the back of your mind - your symptoms are serious, far more than an exam.

LisaLouise73 Fri 15-Oct-10 18:41:03

Juicy.. If you don't get a preg test asap and you are ectopic you may NOT be sitting your exam either, you may be in hospital in agony!

It's best to be safe than sorry hun xx

lissieloucifer Fri 15-Oct-10 18:43:30

as someone else who nearly died from an ep, please believe me when i say i understand, but we are not exaggerating.

IMoveTheStars Fri 15-Oct-10 21:09:11

OP, did you read the spooky charlotte thread? I don't think your symptoms are quite as classic as hers were, and it may well be that you're just late and having cramps. It may well be a bug or something.

But it COULD be an ectopic. I can't believe you haven't done a pregnancy test!! Get your arse down to supermarket now and get one. Do the test first thing in the morning. PLEASE!!!

IMoveTheStars Fri 15-Oct-10 21:15:30

"may sound stupid, but really cant deal with the added pressure doing a test might bring so would prefer to not know!"

Yes, I'm sorry - it does sound stupid. At the very least having all of this playing on your mind isn't going to help you in an exam, is it?

Please LISTEN to what people are saying on this thread... I know it's scary, and I know it's easier to bury your head in the sand, but do a pg test.

BatBrainsPumpkinHead Sat 16-Oct-10 00:59:28

Oh bloody hell, has the op not got her self properally checked out?

There is no way that this is going to be good news. I can only repeat what everyone else has been saying: If you do not take the test and make sure that you are properally ok you might not be taking the exam. In fact if you do have an eptopic and you dont seek medical treatment you might not even be around to take the exam. Pregnancy might be scarey but in a choice between possible pregnacy and possible death. I would take the pregnancy. SO to be harsh but that could be the choice you are making. Get yourself properally checked out if you refuse to take the sodding test.

robino Sat 16-Oct-10 14:01:47

and similarly, appendicitis has not been ruled out. It took them 4 days to decide to do a laparascopy on me because my appendix was not in the "normal place" and my pains were not typical. It was appendicitis. I had nausea, excruciating pain for an hour and then low down abdominal pain similar to period pain.

You must get looked at.

LisaLouise73 Sat 16-Oct-10 15:34:28

Any news Juicy? How are you?

cidre Sat 16-Oct-10 15:37:59

Gall stones, or gall bladder probs can cause similar pains. Just take a test to start ruling things out/in...

This is absolutely shocking, OP has been to hospital with chronic abdominal pain and was fobbed off with some kind of blood test? She should have had full abdominal scan to check gall bladder, kidney and liver and to look for any obvious obstructions in intestines or cysts/fluid around womb and ovaries. Bloody NHS are so stingy that they hardly ever offer scans but my god no one should be in pain for this length of time without a diagnosis. Juicy, go back to the hospital and cause a scene until you are given and full diagnosis with a proper treatment plan. Good luck xx

juicychops Sun 17-Oct-10 13:57:20

Hi everyone dp has had my computer since friday night and only just got it back.

did a pg test yesterday which was negative so that can be ruled out now.

still haven't come on yet and still have the discomfort a little bit but it isn't bad or anyhting so im going to the docs in the morning to see what he says. my doc is really good and will refer me to hospital if he thinks i need to go. He may be able to get the blood test results back a bit early maybe?

at least if he refers me i will be refered to a specific department and not just a&e.

i have had quite a lot of wind the last few days blush so dont know if there is a connection as also slightly bloated again, but not much.

it still just feels like period pains but mild ones now but with no period not sure what it can be.

im confused!

lissieloucifer Sun 17-Oct-10 15:04:35

your gp needs to do a HCG blood test, many women dont get bfp's where an ep is involved.

clam Sun 17-Oct-10 15:19:45

Am watching this with interest as I've had similar symptoms (although less severe) for the last month or so. Cannot be PG as 47 and DH has had snip but have had various (negative) urine tests and waiting for bloods to come back. Then we'll start scans but the pain (a dull ache like a period pain which is worse mornings and evenings)has subsided for a few days. It did that beore, but then came back with a vengeance.

juicychops Sun 17-Oct-10 19:01:16

would they not have automatically done a HCG blood test at the hospital the other day?

TeaOneSugar Sun 17-Oct-10 19:09:42

Could be IBS, bloating, constipation and wind, with extremely painful bowel spasms, that feel like contractions - they start in the middle of your back and grip around your stomach building in intensity and then subsiding.

TeaOneSugar Sun 17-Oct-10 19:27:55

The first time my bowel went into spasm my DH (a paramedic) took me to A&E in the middle of the night as he suspected an EP, the did a pregnancy test immediately.

While 36 weeks pg with DD I had an IBS episode which resulted in an admission because they didn't believe I wasn't in labour, even thought the monitor (and me) said I wasn't.

So it can be really nasty.

juicychops Sun 17-Oct-10 20:58:07

hmmm maybe it could be IBS. can that just start out of the blue like this? ive never experienced this discomfort before where it hasn't been related to period pains.

TeaOneSugar Sun 17-Oct-10 21:18:46

The first I knew I had IBS was my first bout of bowel spasms, which came completely out of the blue, in hindsight I realised it was stress related.

Stress still brings it on, or it can just be eating something too rich or too greasy.

juicychops Sun 17-Oct-10 21:51:02

hmmm i cant believe it could be IBS. il still go docs in the morning and see what he says. maybe he'll recommend doing a food diary.

i haven't been under huge amount of stress really - nothing more than normal anyway! and i haven''t been eating anything too badly. maybe i have but without realising

amidaiwish Mon 18-Oct-10 10:22:22

hope the doctor can shed some light on it and good luck for your exam tomorrow.

TigerStar Mon 18-Oct-10 11:08:35

Could be ovarian cysts? I suffered with severe abdominal pain on and off for 10 years until I'd finally had enough and pushed for a scan (after rolling around on toilet floor of our emergency doctors in absolute agony as I was unable to give a urine sample and doc sent me home with cocodydromol!!). Turned out I had a dermoid cyst the size of an orange that had ruptured. The pain would start on my left side and move to the right with a dull ache sensation and then pains running up and down my thighs and back. It would last for about 3 days, but would take two weeks to recover properly.

Hope you get this sorted - sometimes you really have to push for a referral.

21again Mon 18-Oct-10 11:54:27

I WOULD DEFFO SAY ITS IBS..iV SUFFERED FOR OVER 10YRS AND MINE CAME TOTALLY OUT OF THE BLUE...AWFUL PAINS..HAD LOADS OF TESTS..FOUND NOTHING SO THEY SAID ITS GOTTA BE IBS..TUM KILLIN ME NOW ON RIGHT HAND SIDE AS I TYOPE..ALSO GET LOWER BACK ACHE..WHOOPS CAPS LOCK

IBS can also be misdiagnosed as this when endometriosis is actually the underlying cause.

At the very least you should be referred to a gynaecologist to also confirm or rule out ovarian cysts.

LisaLouise73 Mon 18-Oct-10 18:06:25

How did you get on at the Dr's Juicy?

Did you ask if it was:-

IBS
Ovarian Cyst
Endometriosis ?

x

juicychops Tue 19-Oct-10 20:53:20

Hiya still ahven't made it to the docs yet. couldn't get an appointment on monday - they were all gone, and then couldn't go today as i had my exam.

i will ring tomorrow and try to get an afternoon appointment as i have work the rest of the week

hope everyone is ok smile

Koel Mon 19-Mar-12 20:58:32

I don't know if you're still around OP, but I'm in terrible pain and discomfort and it sounds exactly as you describe: right lower abdominal region, (right ovary I feel, but I may be wrong). It's accompanied by nausea that isn't going away, though the pain is coming in waves. This is the second time its happened, but the last time I went to the doc a couple of days later and it had ebbed by then, she did a pelvic exam, said all well, gave me an antibiotic prescription 'in case' and sent me on my way. Did you get any resolution? It's quite unbearable at the moment but I think it'll resolve itself, maybe something got bumped - I just wish I knew what was causing it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now