Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ideas for keeping a 2 year old with a broken leg amused ......also have a 3 week old...

(11 Posts)
kate100 Sun 21-Aug-05 12:43:53

Please help! My ds1 has broken his leg and is now in plaster from his hip to his toes for the next 4-6 weeks. He's usually a very active little boy, who runs aroud from the minute he gets up until he falls into bed at night. Now he's in plaster and not allowed to walk I don't know how I'm going to keep him occupied. He can shuffle around on his bottom and play with some of his toys, but he keeps trying to stand up and I'm terrified he's going to hurt himself even more. Any ideas on what I'm going to do to keep him occupied and safe? To complicate things a bit more I've got a 3 week old, who I'm trying to keep breast feeding too. Any ideas would be much appreciateed.

Hausfrau Sun 21-Aug-05 13:21:20

Oh Kate, I feel for you. DS1's friend broke his thigh aged 3 when his mum was 39wks PG with his sister . He was in traction for a fortnight then in a cast from armpit to ankle on the bad leg and armpit to knee on the good one. The fella was AMAZING throughout his "incasteration". We found that taking our sons round was a bit frustrating for him as they all wanted to run about and he couldnt but he could shuffle along the ground like a miner in a tunnel and was found standing on more than one occasion but we've no idea how. We all took books and story tapes out of the library for him, he was allowed unspeakable amounts of CBeebies and Nick JR (God Bless the TV!) did loads of colouring and making things, playdough etc slumped on a beanbag. He was very interested in his new sister and watching her kept him busy too. I am still in awe of how he adapted to his situation as he is a bit of a rowdy thug normally but took the whole thing in his stride (or lack of it). If he's getting restless you could make a chart together of how many days til the cast comes off and plan little treats along the way - tiny things can become major events when built up with anticipation! HTH

Twiglett Sun 21-Aug-05 13:23:37

tomy aquadraw, tv, baking, cooking, gluing, drawing

friends

you are lucky baby only 3 weeks as it should sleep lots

it won't be as hard as you think

whimsy Sun 21-Aug-05 13:24:53

Will he sit and colour, glue, jigsaws ect. I'm sure some wise Mumsnetters will be along soon with lots of ideas
Good luck, you've got your hands full!

whimsy Sun 21-Aug-05 13:25:38

There you go

emkana Sun 21-Aug-05 19:12:34

Have you got a sling to carry your baby in? Really, really helpful to still have your hands free while doing stuff with your toddler. Try for example www.slingeasy.co.uk.

kate100 Mon 22-Aug-05 10:49:54

Thanks for the ideas, I'm not sure how well he will take being around kids who can run around, but I don't want him to be isolated either. Can't believe how well he's doing, shuffling around on his bottom, he rubbed a hole in his nappy yesterday!

west3 Mon 22-Aug-05 10:59:13

When a friend's dd broke her leg she found that the remote control Daisy Duck from ELC was a great distraction. Very simple as it only goes forwards and turns round in a circle - hours of amusement trying to get it in between furniture, underneath tunnels etc. Can be used in the bath as well, once the plaster comes off. Good Luck

Hausfrau Mon 22-Aug-05 14:51:54

oh, another thing we all did was buy a pair of horrid trousers and cut them up so they could go over his cast - sliced up the entire side seem and attached big velcro straps. The poor chap had his willy and bum flapping out otherwise and his mum cannot sew at all. When I said he didnt like kids who ran around, our boys were like farts in collanders in and out of the room all the time cos they couldnt really understand that their friend couldnt join in. If they stayed passive (rare but do-able)it was fine.

HondaDream Mon 22-Aug-05 16:52:39

Kate100 you have my sympathy my ds broke his leg when he was 2.5. It wasn't too serious so Dr told me either he could sit onthe sofa fro two weeks and watch tv( I don't think she had kids)or we can put it in a cast. I obviousl ywent for the cast luckily he was able to walk on it and he had a special shoe too. It was hard bathing etc, I aslo had a new born and another 18 month old. Can't remember how we managed but we did. I had a big lenghways double buggy where he could sit in the front and hang his leg over so we went for loads of walks maybe you could beg or borrow one of these.

kate100 Tue 23-Aug-05 13:52:18

Thanks for all the good ideas, I was terrified he was going to be stuck in one place for 4 weeks, but he seems to be getting around so well. The biggest problem is getting in and out of the car, the space isn't really big enough to get him and the cast into the car!! I have got a double buggy and have ben taking him out for walks everyday so that he at least gets some fresh air, but he knows when we are near the park and keeps asking to go on the slides and the swings feel so sorry for him. He's also asked to go splashing, his favourite thing, which obviously isn't a option, poor thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now