Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Patch of skin that feels burnt but there's nothing there. I should NOT have googled.

(55 Posts)
OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:19:59

Small patch of skin on the outside of my forearm. Feels just like it's burnt or the skin's been taken off. But there's nothing there. Looks entirely normal.

Of course google informs me that it's neurological and I'm likely to expire by the time July's out.

Oddly, dh has been complaining of the same thing for weeks. A patch of skini that just feels irritated and prickly but with no obvious cause.

Any ideas?

It's not painful btw. Just irritating and weird.

I have HA btw so if you could avoid agreeing emphatically with google that'd stop the panic for a wee while.

OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:20:40

*skin

belledechocolatefluffybunny Wed 14-Jul-10 18:22:08

It's called neuralgia, there can be a few causes, diabetes, vitamin deficiency etc. Do you get pins and needles anywhere?

Lionstar Wed 14-Jul-10 18:22:17

I expect you have been abducted by aliens shock

RespectTheDoughnut Wed 14-Jul-10 18:23:22

Could it be hormonal? I have things like that every month but usually on the top, outer bit of my left arm.

OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:24:46

I occasionally get pins and needles in my feet but because I have a habit of sitting with them tucked underneath me. Goes if I get up and wiggle.

I'm not diabetic but have always had a vitamin d deficiency.

Aliens? Do you think I'm pregnant?

belledechocolatefluffybunny Wed 14-Jul-10 18:26:04

Hmm. Do the pins and needles come on quite quickly?

Vitamin B12 deficiency causes neuralgia.

OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:26:22

Am just getting over viral labyrinthitis. Don't know if that's relevant?

Otherwise well.

Have convinced myself it's something terrible.

OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:27:09

Pins and needles do come on fairly quickly, yes? Oh God, is it something awful?

belledechocolatefluffybunny Wed 14-Jul-10 18:27:35

So, the pins and needles....

OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:28:49

Am often anaemic btw. Heavy periods and just a tendency for it. Sorry, am drip-feeding info.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Wed 14-Jul-10 18:28:58

Something awful? Well, a cold could be awful to someone.

How long have you had the neuralgia and pins and needles? Any fatigue?

Alouiseg Wed 14-Jul-10 18:30:21

Good old Googlenose. I practically booked my own funeral this week.

Step away from Google

belledechocolatefluffybunny Wed 14-Jul-10 18:31:03

Your anaemia, do they diagnose this from a blood test or just from the fatigue?

Anaemia can cause neuralgia and palpitations if it's not treated by the way.

Stop panicking.

OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:31:18

Neuralgia started yesterday. Pins and needles? Dunno. Ages. Just always assume it's because I sit on my feet. Never really bothered me pre-dd though. And it goes if I change position.

Not abnormal fatigue no. Not sleeping well though. Mainly due to the heat and a restless toddler.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Wed 14-Jul-10 18:32:07

Google's OK if you know what you are looking at. It can turn a migraine into a brain tumour though so don't believe all that you read.

OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:33:45

Have always been turned down for giving blood because am anaemic (only slightly and it seems to run in my family, my Mum and Grandma were always borderline anaemic too). Was anaemic while pregnant (blood test). V anaemic post birth (blood test). Levels started to rise with iron supplements but then periods came back heavy and my iron levels go from just above normal threshold to slightly anaemic quite often.

TheFoosa Wed 14-Jul-10 18:34:25

sorry for hijack, but i do get pins & needles AND am very tired alot of the time

is this something to worry about <panics>

belledechocolatefluffybunny Wed 14-Jul-10 18:35:14

It's a good idea to pop and see your GP. Have a chat about the pins and needles, just as they come on really quickly. Then mention the odd burning sensation you are having in your arm. An efficient GP will refer you to a neurologist, this is absolutely nothing to worry about, GP's are lovely people but can't know every single medical condition.

Don't google, it'll say you have a million and one things wrong and it'll end up scaring the pants off you.

TheFoosa Wed 14-Jul-10 18:36:20

sorry Ogre, no help for you

OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:37:12

Thank you fluffy.

Thing is, I know you're being sensible and reassuring and of course I should go to the GP. But all I see is the word 'neurologist' and now I'm sobbing.

I'm convinced it's something terrible.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Wed 14-Jul-10 18:37:52

GP might want to do a blood test for Vitamin B12 and iron levels, nothing to worry about.

Foosa, same advice applies, pop and see your GP. There is alot of conditions that can cause pins and needles, as I have mentioned above. smile

belledechocolatefluffybunny Wed 14-Jul-10 18:40:23

Seriously, don't panic. Neurologists are the nerve experts, it's the nerves that cause neuralgia (spot the similarities in the name wink). They deal with all sorts (migraines etc)smile

What's the worst that can happen? Brain tumour? You have no symptoms for this so stop worrying.

OgreRebel Wed 14-Jul-10 18:43:52

My aunt has MS. It started as pins and needles.

I just assume the worst. So yes, brain tumour probably or MS or some strange as yet undiscovered, incurable illness.

whatname Wed 14-Jul-10 18:44:35

ooh, i have this on my hand, little patch that gets really itchy, for no reason, had it for a couple of months now. i am probably run down, just got some vitamins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now