Passport photo costs-Snappy Snaps rip off

(4 Posts)
jt9998 Sun 30-May-10 13:32:54

Hi,

Just thought I would bring this to everyones attention as I wish I had known before I got my son's passport photo taken recently.

I have 5 children and each of them has been no trouble at all when they have had their passport photo's taken as babies very quick and easy.

This time I needed pictures for my 10 year old and my 6 month baby and was quoted £5.99 I took both of them to Snappy Snaps where they took 2 pictures of both easy. Then charged me £5.99 for my 10 year old and £8.99 for the baby when I asked why I was told it was because babies MIGHT be more difficult to photograph!! But assistant agreed that mine had been easy!!

I had to buy the pictures as I needed them quickly. I complained extensively to head office and Muswell Hill Branch but got no satisfaction was told that it is just the way it is.

I would not have been aware of the age discrimination if I did not have my 10 yr old daughters pictures done at the same time!!

I have had 3 of my babies pictures taken at Snappy Snaps and paid this premium price!! I just thought that it was a standard price as I only had them photographed at the time!

I wish someone had told me about this rip off before, it is quite easy to take them at home yourself as a friend has shown me since.

I hope I have saved others from this con as I think it may only be £3 extra but it's for no extra work and that is over 50% more than the price for anyone that is not a baby.

Nefret Sun 30-May-10 20:38:08

Both my daughters and my husband had their passport photos done at Snappy Snaps and they were all charged the same price (my youngest as 6 months when we had them done and they were really good, they took loads of photos until we got a really good one).

Maybe they have changed their policy recently but if so that is really bad!

jt9998 Mon 31-May-10 17:44:24

They are a franchise so maybe you were lucky to have one that is reasonable. Snappy Snaps head office recommend they charge this extra amount but at the end of the day it's up to the franchisee whether they add on over 50% to their price.

I know the Muswell Hill branch definatley do so it's worth checking before you go in whether they charge the same price for a baby.

I know it's only £3 but I just think it's an easy way for them to make a bit extra and if you only have your baby done then you would be none the wiser of the price difference.

I don't think it's right to rip off parents just because they can.If go somewhere next time I'll phone and check whether adults / children and babies are all the same price.

LadyGrantham Thu 05-Aug-10 14:34:45

You have no idea how difficult it is to photograph a baby for passport photos. Even a good baby might turn his/her head,blink,cry,make facial expressions..etc.Home office rules are very strict nowadays and an application might be easily rejected.I have known staff to take a good 1/2 hour trying to take passport photos of babies and these people are working hard developing,printing,advising customers,selling goods,taking orders...etc. It's nothing to do with age descrimination (what a preposterous and ridiculous idea!) You say you needed the photos quickly as you were pressed for time.The staff obviously obliged as you say you bought the photos but you resented paying because your baby was "good"??Furthermore you complained to head office?perhaps you were trying for your money back. You're the CON artist not Snappy Snaps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now