Anyone else waiting on an Irish passport?!

(14 Posts)
jennymac Fri 26-Mar-10 13:29:02

Just sent off passport applications for dd and ds this week as we are heading to France in June and found out yesterday that the staff in Dublin are working to rule and considering a possible strike! Only 9 weeks to the holiday and getting worried! Anyone else in a similar position?

Claire2301 Fri 26-Mar-10 13:30:31

Not in the same position but heard from someone that there are 40,000 awaiting processing- this was last week though. Good luck...

Granard Fri 26-Mar-10 13:56:23

Absolute mayhem at the passport office in Dublin. People queueing all night, every night to try get their passports. Thousands of people have lost out on their holidays because they couldn't get passport in time. There's a huge backlog so it will take a long time to sort out.
Have a look at www.rte.ie where there's a story about it.

DecorHate Mon 29-Mar-10 09:26:53

Where do you live jennymac? If you are not actually in Ireland at the moment and have applied to your local embassy you might be ok. They imply that they are all done in Dublin but when they cocked up one of my dcs passports they were somehow magically able to produce one within an hour or so....

jennymac Thu 01-Apr-10 13:30:50

I live in Belfast and have sent the kids applications to Dublin. I can check the progress online and they have been received and registered but no more news. Apparently there is now a backlog of 50,000! Considering applying for British passports but would have to apply for new birth certificates which would cost £36 as they are £12 a go and I had to send mine as well as the kids, plus then another £100 for the passports when I have already paid for the Irish ones!

mrsboogie Mon 12-Apr-10 18:53:13

I am in the same position as you - need mine for my sister's wedding in June. If I don't get it I might have to see if I can get a British one..

Ruthiebabes Mon 12-Apr-10 19:34:06

My MIL handed her application form (renewal) into Irish Embassy in London 4 weeks ago and recieved her passport in post last week.

coll2010 Tue 27-Apr-10 22:32:01

I sent off for an Irish passport for the first time via the London embassy and I've checked on line and it's showing as registered. I noticed the cheque for the payment has been cashed. Would you think that means my application has been approved or do they just cash the payment anyway before it's been looked at?

jennymac Wed 28-Apr-10 09:16:46

Unfortunately coll2010 because the cheque has been cashed doesn't mean that they have looked at the passports yet. I finally got through on the phone last week, and after much tutting and telling me that the turnaround time is now 12 weeks (!) the guy on the phone said that my passports "should" be with me before 2 June. I suggested coming to the office to collect it, after which he practically shouted at me that that would not be a good idea and then said "your passports will be with you in two weeks". That was one week ago - I have been religiously checking the website each day using the passport tracking system and it is still saying "your application has been received and is registered". If it hasn't changed to "being checked" by Friday, I think I will try to phone them again.

coll2010 Wed 28-Apr-10 11:09:47

Thanks Jenny I thought that was probably the case just wishful thinking on my part! I hope you get your passports back soon. Good luck!

jennymac Wed 28-Apr-10 16:40:25

Thanks Coll - hope you get yours soon too!

runnybottom Sat 01-May-10 11:52:56

I got 3 kids passports this week, took 4 weeks from application.
Did you send them Passport Express? They get priority.

Sammygoodgirl Tue 27-Oct-15 22:19:12

Hi does any one know how long it takes for a Irish. Passport to arrive. Money been taken for pay ment can any one help

ifitsnotanarse Tue 27-Oct-15 22:31:04

Think it is 10 days turnaround if done through Passport Express for ROI & NI residents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now