What would Cyprus be like late October? Warmish? Or where else would be a nice place to go for some sunshine?

(12 Posts)
LamviaGroup Sat 19-Jan-13 00:42:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Cluckadoodledoo Thu 27-Aug-09 09:18:04

Have never seen squaddies whilst there at least not knowingly. Have seen Greek soldiers there once.

It does have a strong British feel to it though that you don't get in Greece. It's like halfway between Britain and Greece but with it's own character as well!

However there are plenty of places that are lovely and traditional especially the Troodos Mountains and the villages there.

Mercedes Wed 26-Aug-09 22:23:47

Can i just hijack the thread to ask about Cyprus?
It sounds nice but our worry would be that it was full of squaddies?
Is it like that and are we worring unnecessary? Also does it feel/sound non-british?

MadreInglese Wed 26-Aug-09 16:12:54

Righto, will have a look at Limassol and Paphos, thanks (I don't know Cyprus at all)

Egypt was another one he mentioned, but tbh I think he has romantic ideas of 1920s Egypt after watching the Mummy, I'm not sure if he'll be disappointed with the reality of the tourist-packed pyramids (or so I've heard)

Cluckadoodledoo Wed 26-Aug-09 15:59:07

Have done Cyprus Oct half term and it was perfect dry throughout and th right temp for sightseeing and lounging by the pool. Has more character than the Canaries too which I always find windy!

Hersetta Wed 26-Aug-09 15:50:55

Egypt would be lovely in November - low 80's every day.

Granny23 Wed 26-Aug-09 15:37:01

Cyprus should be warm enough but beware of the rain! On average more settled, warm weather in the Canaries. We have only been to both at Christmas and it was wet and stormy in Cyprus, warm and sunny in Lanzarote. You pay your money and take your chances!

Aniyan Wed 26-Aug-09 15:31:23

We go to Cyprus for October half-term nearly every year & for me it's the perfect time of year to go. Still warm enough for swimming but not so hot that you have to hide indoors for half the day.

We are based in Limassol but travel all over - and now you can easily go over into the North as well which is beautiful.

rolledhedgehog Wed 26-Aug-09 15:30:05

I have been in early November and it was nice. We went to the Troodos (sp?) mountains for a week and then to Paphos. It was like early autumn in the mountains (good for walking) and nice warmish weather in Paphos. We were mainly sightseeing but there were people lazing round the pool so it must have been nice.

rolledhedgehog Wed 26-Aug-09 15:26:19

I have been in early November and it was nice. We went to the Troodos (sp?) mountains for a week and then to Paphos. It was like early autumn in the mountains (good for walking) and nice warmish weather in Paphos. We were mainly sightseeing but there were people lazing round the pool so it must have been nice.

MadreInglese Wed 26-Aug-09 15:20:47

hopeful bump grin

MadreInglese Wed 26-Aug-09 13:36:42

We'd like to go away in October half term, for one reason and another we haven't been abroad in 3 years so it would be really really nice to get away and get a bit of sunshine.

DP wants to go to Cyprus but I'm wondering if it will be warm enough in October, and maybe we'd be better off somewhere like the canaries. We don't want scorching hot, but just nice and warm (lounge by the pool in a bikini without shivering kind of warm). It would be me, DP and DD (11), and we might take her friend if we end up stung with no-fourth-person supplements. Ideally somewhere quiet where we can chill out for the week and recharge our much worn out batteries.

Any tips or ideas appreciated, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now