anyone use buggy travel bags when flying??

(18 Posts)
newmumof2 Mon 08-Jun-09 07:31:32

hi, we usually take baby out of buggy by the plane before we board and buggy goes into the hold folded, so we don't check it in.

is it worth getting a travel bag for it to go into to protect our new buggy or will it cause confusion when they take out the other buggies at plane side and not ours thinking it's normal luggage?? hope that makes sense!

thanks

inscotland Mon 08-Jun-09 11:41:52

Hi

We use one for our maclaren. I think it does keep them safer as some I have seen have been in a terrible state as they seem to get thrown in together.

They don't take buggies out at plane side - or at least they never have when I have flown. They either come round with the usual baggage or I have persuaded a member of crewe to allow me to take it onboard.

madwomanintheattic Mon 08-Jun-09 11:51:14

we use one. our buggy never comes out at the door (very rarely done now ime even when unbagged lol) and we have to cart down to the conveyor/ oversize baggage area.

dd2 is 5 and can't walk that far, so carrying her is a nightmare as she weighs a tonne. last time they gave us a lift on the cart thingy, which i have to say is far slower than walking pace and was making me very tense lol.

but yes, buy one grin, much safer for the buggy. i've worked in airports around the world for 16 years lol.

newmumof2 Mon 08-Jun-09 15:04:23

thanks! yes good point about buggy rarely being taken out plane side!

madwomanintheattic Mon 08-Jun-09 15:59:58

top tip is to buy a double bag btw - apparently the singles are always a tight fit, so even if it's not a double buggy, get a double bag... useful for erm - <whispers> extra packing too when your cabin bags are too big/ heavy... grin

newmumof2 Mon 08-Jun-09 16:48:25

lol madwomanintheattic, i did think of putting things bought at the airport into that bag too!! grin

we're now flying as a family of 4 so extra bit of storage will help!! thanks hon!

newmumof2 Mon 08-Jun-09 17:37:47

"sold to me!"

thanks madwoman! fab tip wink

Kiwinyc Wed 10-Jun-09 14:19:42

Did get one for our Micralite for travelling long haul but never bothered with our Maclaren Quest. Just another thing to have to do in the rush to get on the plane. It was useful for the Micralite because you take the wheels off to pack it into the travel bag and the bag has seperate pockets for the wheels.

mushel Sun 23-Aug-09 19:31:01

I did buy one for our pliko pramette because it didn't seem like the sturdiest stroller around, but never used it. We've done multiple flights and it has always come back fine - touch wood. Best was JAL, where the one of the FAs take your stroller at the gate, put it in a big plastic bag and tie a pretty bow on top! Then run it down to the hold themselves.

EldonAve Sun 23-Aug-09 19:35:19

We use them for our maclarens after arriving in NYC once to a very wet buggy

If they bring the buggies to the jetway on landing ours always appears too

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Sun 23-Aug-09 19:45:22

We've always used them - they'r great.

Not once have we had it back until baggage reclaim where it's anyone's guess if it might come out with the cases or in outsize baggage!

ttalloo Sun 23-Aug-09 19:57:22

V.useful thread - I need to get one for my Phil&Ted's double buggy as BA have told me that they won't accept it at the gate without a bag, but I don't know where to get one from. Any ideas? (May have to ask BA if they'll accept it in a binliner. smile)

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Sun 23-Aug-09 20:46:36

I think (but am not 100% sure) that you'll need to get a P+T's own brand.

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Sun 23-Aug-09 21:05:51

this is from the NZ site but there's a link to the UK

stealthsquiggle Sun 23-Aug-09 21:12:55

I made one (giant drawstring bag from spare/recycled blackout lining) for our stage 2 carseat - which would work just as well for a buggy - as a result it has, to date, survived 20+ flights with no damage.

nicm Sun 23-Aug-09 22:43:13

we use one for our techno when flying. is great as you can put everything in it and only need to carry the bare essentials on the flight or if you've no room packing you can use the bag as well and just check it in! wink had to do this last week!

dorothybunny Mon 24-Aug-09 14:05:57

ttalloo, I have a Phil & Teds double buggy bag that I'm looking to sell if you're interested. We only used it once on a flight to/from Spain last year. Not planning on flying with the children in the near future so it's sitting in our garage gathering dust. Let me know if you're interested.

ttalloo Mon 24-Aug-09 15:05:15

dorothybunny, would be v.interested in your double buggy bag - e-mail me via contact poster so that we can discuss the details......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now