How much spending money would you take to Majorca for 2 weeks??

(25 Posts)
johnbarrowmanlovesme Mon 04-May-09 12:23:22

I am very close to booking our first holiday abroad in 6 years [gringrin] 2 adults & two dc. How much would you think you would spend in a day? I was thinking at least £50 a day, or am I being totally un-realistic there do you think??

johnbarrowmanlovesme Mon 04-May-09 12:24:16

gringrin not [gringrin] !!

IDidntRaiseAThief Mon 04-May-09 12:34:38

depends what your holiday is about, are you s/c or hotel?

depends what your expectations are, if you intend eating out every day, breakfast lunch and tea/

£50 minimum, i'd say. It does add up. Yet if it were me I'd be working out the cheapest wya to do everything! Buying large bottles of water and decanting into smaller ones for the beach. saves a hell of alot. making snacks for beach etc...

Bottle of vodka in the room lol!

Chrysanthamum Mon 04-May-09 12:39:16

£50 absolute min it is doable. We always travel v frugally and went to france for 2 weeks at Easter sc. You don't get much for your money with the lousy sterling rate. We managed on £400 a week. Always have a visa or sthing for the unforeseen like parking fines etc.

johnbarrowmanlovesme Mon 04-May-09 12:40:43

Yes, s/c. We hope to go back to apartment for lunch on some days then prob eat out most evenings.

Not forgetting wine in the fridge smile

Thanks IDidntraiseAthief

johnbarrowmanlovesme Mon 04-May-09 12:43:44

Thanks Chrysanthamum. So glad to hear that other people can survive on about £50 a day, so we should be able to do it too.

RubyrubyrubyRodent Mon 04-May-09 12:44:10

It also depends what part of Majorca you are going to - some parts are more expensive than others.

johnbarrowmanlovesme Mon 04-May-09 12:56:52

S'illot. Don't know anyone that's been there, not too far from Sa Coma apparently, please tell me it's not an expensive part of Majorca hmm

Chrysanthamum Tue 05-May-09 09:30:30

Haven't been but when we were in France we located a Lidl and shopped there, so maybe you could check online for cheap supoermarkets.

Rebeccaj Tue 05-May-09 10:53:26

We were there a few weeks ago and a meal for 4 - 2 adults+2 kids - was costing 40-50 euro - that's mains and sometimes a couple of icecreams. Eating out waa quite expensive!

MissSunny Tue 05-May-09 23:17:40

Message withdrawn

johnbarrowmanlovesme Wed 06-May-09 00:28:53

Oh well, bread & jam it is for the next few weeks for us smile

MissSunny Wed 06-May-09 00:51:03

Message withdrawn

johnbarrowmanlovesme Wed 06-May-09 18:01:48

Thanks sunny smile

We have considered going for 1 week rather than 2 but never feel 1 week is enough, I have looked at doing maybe 10 days instead as a compromise.

When I have priced up A/I it just seems far too expensive to me. Adding up what I think we will spend on food, snacks etc doesn't come anywhere near the extra that you pay for A/I, if you know what I mean hmm

The Hotel I'm probably going to book is in S'illot, Majorca & is called The Played Moreia. It seems to have activities going on & entertainment in the evenings & is walking distance to the beach & also to Sa Coma where I thought it would be nice to stroll down to to have something to eat away from the hotel. I have got a price of around £1,800 for 14 nights which does seem to be a bargain. What do you think sunny?

MissSunny Thu 07-May-09 12:23:53

Message withdrawn

johnbarrowmanlovesme Thu 07-May-09 14:13:09

Thanks for that. I am just going to check the price on that website for the accomodation, the price I have is almost £900 shock bit of a difference from £250 !

We are in the Cotswolds so quite central really. Birmingham or bristol are probably the easiest to get to from here.

We want to go round about 2nd August, got to be home by 17th August.

johnbarrowmanlovesme Thu 07-May-09 14:21:08

I have just looked & the price is coming out at over £1,000. What am I doing wrong? sad

BernardsCat Thu 07-May-09 14:22:29

why do you need to TAKE money?
Just use your card

johnbarrowmanlovesme Thu 07-May-09 14:25:16

Can take my card no problem, but still have to pay the card bill with money when we get back smile

MissSunny Thu 07-May-09 21:39:52

Message withdrawn

tiredemma Thu 07-May-09 21:44:56

Beach in S'illot is really nice.

Cala D'or is our fave, but tends to be very expensive.

Not so keen on Alcudia
Palma Nova is nice, as long as its away from Magalluf end.

stripeypineapple Thu 07-May-09 22:00:51

My sister just got back from Majorca. She said it very expensive.

She also said the water tasted a little odd......grin

johnbarrowmanlovesme Thu 07-May-09 23:09:42

sad I thought we had the bargain of the year there sunny, 2 weeks in sunny Majorca for £250 grin will have a look at the alcudia one.

Our last holiday abroad was in Cala D'or, it was lovely but accomodation is quite expensive there now so have crossed that one off my list.

MissSunny Fri 08-May-09 19:16:21

Message withdrawn

tiredemma Fri 08-May-09 19:36:38

I lived in Alcudia for a while also. Much prefer the south of the island (lived in Palma and Palma Nova for quite a while)

Would like to live in Deia (if I had $$$)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now