Help for those flying with Easyjet: Easy Jet advice- straight from the horse's mouth!

(29 Posts)
salt101 Mon 06-Apr-09 09:12:21

Hi All
I've been scanning the net for info re traveling with our 8month old on Easy jet. Couldn't find much info so I emailed them and got a very speedy, detailed response!
Might come in useful for those thinking of jetting off this summer/easter!

My questions to them:
1. are we allowed to take any luggage for the infant?

2. Are we allowed to take a car seat and put it in the hold? Is this included in our baggage allowance and weight?

3. are we allowed to take a pushchair and put it in the hold? Is this included in our baggage allowance and weight?

4. Can we take a pushchair up to the plane?

5. Can we take a car seat on the plane if we haven't purchased an extra seat for our son?

6. If we are flying from Luton- how much clear sterlised boiled water are we allowed to take for feeds? Is it ok to take baby formula through security?

7. Do you have priority/early boarding for those with infants or should we purchase speedy boarding?

Their answers:
I understand your query is regarding carriage of pushchair and car seat for the 8 month old infant. I also understand you need to know about the allowed baby food and the boarding order for passengers travelling with infant.

I am happy to confirm that pushchairs and car seats do not form part of your baggage allowance and therefore are carried for free, provided that the child is travelling as well. However, we do not offer a separate baggage allowance for infants.

I would also like to advise you that you can carry up to 2 such portable items of mobility equipment free of charge.

Pushchairs and car seats can be taken right up to the aircraft, where they will be taken by cabin crew and stored in the hold. However, if it would be easier for you, you can check it in with your baggage at check-in. Full sized, non-collapsible prams cannot be accepted for travel.

At some of our airports you may have to pick up your pushchair from baggage reclaim so please ask the cabin crew about your pushchair on arrival at your destination. They will be able to advise you on what happens at this airport.

Yes, you can take baby food onboard provided you are travelling with an infant or a small child. You are also able to take baby milk onboard. Please note that you will be required to taste the milk while passing through security.

Passengers may take liquids on board in their hand luggage provided they meet the following restrictions:

1. The liquid is in a container with a maximum volume of 100 ml
2. That all liquid containers meeting the maximum volume of 100ml can be fitted comfortably into a transparent, re-sealable 1 litre plastic bag.

The plastic bag should be presented separately at security.

You may be required to dispose of liquids which do not meet the above requirements.

We operate a free seating policy which means that you can choose where you sit on the aircraft. easyJet operates a strict priority boarding system and you will be boarded by the sequence you checked-in at.

The aircraft is boarded in groups, starting with passengers who have purchased Speedy Boarding (boarding group SB), followed by passengers travelling with babies and children of 5 years old and under (boarding group SA). Boarding will then continue with group A boarding cards, and finally group B. Group A is reserved for passengers who have checked in online, and the first 30 people who check in at the airport. Please remember that if you booked speedy boarding you must be at the gate no later than 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of your flight or you?ll lose your place in the speedy boarding group.

If you are travelling with an infant you will be boarded in SA group which will be boarded after the SB group. If you wish to board in the first group then you can add speedy boarding in your booking.

There is a range of charges, depending on route length and boarding and check-in arrangements at individual airports, you can add speedy boarding to your booking. Simply visit the my easyJet.com section at the top of the homepage, click to view your booking and add the speedy boarding option.

Alternatively you can contact us by telephone to book speedy boarding with our customer service department on 0871 244 2366 (calls cost 10p per minute; calls from mobiles and other networks may cost more) and can give details on call and one of our representatives will be happy to help you. Our contact centre is open for business from 0800 to 2000 hrs Monday to Friday, and 0900 to 1700 hrs on Saturday and Sunday (UK time).

Please note, if you wish to take advantage of this service, all passengers included on your booking must use speedy boarding, as it is not possible to add only one passenger at this time. Speedy boarding must be booked and paid for at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled time of departure for your flight.

If you wish to check-in as normal then you need to present yourself at the appropriate check-in desks, which will open two hours before the scheduled time of departure.

Passengers who present themselves later than 40 minutes prior to scheduled time of departure will not be accepted for travel, and will forfeit their seats. It is recommended that you check in two hours before the scheduled time of departure.

I have included a link for more information on travelling children:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#infants

More information about our baggage allowance can be found by clicking on the following link:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage

I have also included a link on more information on speedy boarding:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Flying/speedyboarding.html

Illeradrac Sun 19-Apr-09 00:52:42

This was really helpful
We're travelling with Easy Jet next week so this has saved me making the same enquiries as the information is not easy to find on the website.

AdyBeard Sun 14-Jun-09 17:01:11

A word of Warning!!

Ensure you print off these instructions.

When we were flying from Naples to Stansted recently the checkin clerk would not allow the Free of Charge transfer of our car seat, it cost us another ?25. As you can see from these instructions this should've been allowed FOC.

I personally think the checkin clerk was corrupt, as he would not give us his name or write on our receipt that it was for a car seat.

My advice is to stand there and ask to see the manager until the issue is resolved.

I think these situations may happen more often as budget airlines get tight for money!

I am yet to chase this up with Easyjet.

Ivykaty44 Sun 14-Jun-09 17:06:12

2. That all liquid containers meeting the maximum volume of 100ml can be fitted comfortably into a transparent, re-sealable 1 litre plastic bag.

If it is the wrong plastic bag then customs will take it off you - I tryed and got the wrong bag and by this time couldn't go back and get the right bag

I did show the printed out piece from the airline but to no availe
sad

Wonderstuff Sun 14-Jun-09 17:11:56

We travelled with Easyjet at half term with our 19mo and it was really painfree experience. The staff were friendly and helpful, we jumped the queue to board (suffered a few tuts and huffs from the dedicated British queuers) so had window seat. Took pushchair up to the gate. DD loved the take-off then had some boob and slept for the rest of the flight. Would def. use them again.

MissSunny Sun 14-Jun-09 19:15:18

Message withdrawn

chelliebellie Tue 11-May-10 17:40:15

Does the pushchair have to be an 'umbrella' type? We have an icandy cherry, it folds but it then becomes 2 parts - can I still take that?

HinnyPet Tue 11-May-10 19:53:28

Bear in mind easyjet speeding boarding is not the same in non-uk airports, every time we have travelled with DCs we've added speedy boarding, it has been fab leaving uk but in Malaga it was a joke! A rugby scrum!

CaurnieBred Tue 11-May-10 22:44:20

When you get on board ask the stewardess if the flight is full; if it is not, make sure you sit the baby on the seat next to you when the rest of the passengers are boarding as this way the baby will have that seat for the flight, even though you haven't paid for it. The baby will need to go on your lap for take off and landing, but at least it will have its own seat for the duration of the flight.

I travelled up and down Luton-Glasgow a number of times when DD was under 2 and the only time I had to hold her was on the first flight when she was 3 months old - the rest of the time I always managed for her to have her own seat.

YellowCecil Mon 11-Apr-11 17:31:53

Hello - found this old post and just wondering if anyone knows whether it is still accurate? Particularly, are buggies and car seats free?

mousymouse Fri 15-Apr-11 15:50:44

yellow I just booked with easyjet and their luggage information is pretty straightforward.
what has changed is, that you no longer are allowed hand luggage for the baby, in the past you were able to take the nappy change bag extra.

mousymouse Fri 15-Apr-11 15:52:22

buggy is still free, should be folding into once piece.

thenameiwantedwastaken Fri 15-Apr-11 20:50:35

Just beware they do not carry any spare nappies on board - last time I was on board I gave some of DD's away to another poor mum who had got through all of the nappies she had packed when her DD got an attack of diarrheoa (sp?) on boarding.

We carried fold up pushchair for free last August

smartyz Wed 04-May-11 09:54:06

Hi
Im flying easyjet on saturday gatwick to gibraltar with my 13 month old, i understand about the liquid allowance through security, but what about if i take my measure pots with the right amount of powder milk in them for her feed on the plan and add water to make it up when in flight?? Will security be funny about the powder??

stikmatix Sat 07-May-11 21:10:52

No, they shouldn't be, I've done it loads of times at various airports. I reckon it is a lot easier than getting the ready made up formula, as security never once questioned it.

Doodlez Sat 07-May-11 21:20:22

"...when her DD got an attack of diarrheoa (sp?) on boarding"

Easyshit!grin

Ligger Tue 17-May-11 16:28:48

Just spoke to Easyjet. They said that you are allowed two baby items free of charge when travelling with an infant. Things such as a car seat, pushchair, baby carrier, travel cot.

They gave me a reference number for my call (as I don't trust that the check in staff will all be aware of this) and he told me that it is listed on their website under help. So I went to their website and searched within help for the word "cot" and found:

"If the car seat is not going to be used in-flight, then it must be checked-in as hold baggage. Car seats, buggies, push chairs and travel cots are carried for free and do not make up part of your baggage allowance. Up to two of these items can be carried per infant or child."

The bit just before this refers to taking a car seat on board if you have booked a whole seat for your child - so it is not 100% clear that this refers to a baby that is to sit on your lap. But think it is....

emsken Tue 17-May-11 19:37:02

does anyone know whether i can take the tommee tippee bottle warmer (effectively a flask) on plane? I know i can't take water through security, but thought if i took it through empty then asked starbucks or equivalent to add hot water then it might be ok??

angie99 Sun 29-May-11 22:13:46

RE the free items - the easyjet website says:

When travelling with an infant or young child you may take a maximum of 2 of the following items (per infant/child) with you free of charge:

Pushchair
Baby buggy
Travel-cot
Car seat

This is in addition to your normal hold luggage; please also note this counts only for items supporting mobility and travel, and not for items used at home. The items can be taken right up to the aircraft, where they will be taken by cabin crew and stored in the hold. We do not deliver buggies at aircraft side on arrival. They will normally be delivered with baggage on the baggage carousel.
You can however check it in with your baggage at check-in, if you wish to do so. Full size, non-collapsible prams cannot be accepted for travel.

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60/~/can-i-take-my-buggy-%2F-travel-cot-into-the-cabin-with-me%3F

Ligger Fri 10-Jun-11 18:42:14

Just to update. Easyjet took our baby carrier rucksack with no problem as one of the infant items free of charge.

To answer emsken: You can take baby milk through customs (they usually ask you to taste it) and I took an empty bottles through no problem. So I think your flask will be fine.

DaddyN Wed 14-Sep-11 12:29:08

Hi everyone,

I checked the HELP section on the EasyJet website on 14/9/2011 and this is what I found, Pushchairs, buggies and travel cots taken FREE of charge with NO mention of maximum items:

Pushchairs, buggies and travel cots can be taken right up to the aircraft door or steps and they are free of charge to bring on your flight. One of our crew will then take them from you and store them safely for you. You will be able to pick them up when you land from the baggage carousel.

You can also check-in any pushchair or buggy at the check-in desk as hold baggage should you wish.

Unquote

The link is:

easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4033/kw/

Will print this and take to flight next month... wish me luck!

God Bless!

havefaith102 Sat 28-Apr-12 15:18:23

hi i have seen people mention that pram tops are not allowed, could someone please explain what this is?? is it the hood part??

pigleychez Mon 30-Apr-12 12:05:13

Useful info. We are travelling in June with DD's 3.5 and just 2. Although DD2 is good at walking we intend to take a buggy for any long strolls and the long walks round the airports.

We were planning to use our friends old maclaren buggy, however chatting to a Nursery mum this morning who works for airport security said I should take my Petite Star Zia as it will go through security without having to take her out (although thats not really a problem) and I should be able to take it on the plane with me as it folds up so small?

This is our first time flying with the girls so no idea when it comes to buggys and planes. Anyone any experience as to which would be better?

YouBrokeMySmoulder Mon 30-Apr-12 12:13:17

pigleychez - I think that is rather strange advice from your friend - every time we have had to take dd out of her buggy and she walks through the metal detector - the umbrella fold goes through the normal bag check iyswim - we always check ours now as outsize luggage as its such a faff at security with it.

One time through Gatwick dd was just 3 and had to walk through the metal arch on her own, stand on a box and be patted down - she flipped out a bit.

Tha family friendly lane at Gatwick is great though - much easier if it is open.

deliakate Wed 20-Jun-12 19:44:16

Bit of an old thread, but does anyone know if you need to pack the free baby items any way? I was going to wrap a clear plastic bag or bin bag around our back carrier, mainly to protect it........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now