The Great British Travelling Public are such child hating wankerish gits and if I could slaughter them wholesale without incurring a penal sentence, I surely would

(78 Posts)
handlemecarefully Tue 13-May-08 23:30:30

I don't know if anyone else experiences this - I am talking about hostile attitudes towards children, and their parents when travelling. I never encounter this more acutely than when I am on a plane with the kids or a train.

Just got back from a trip to Paris on Eurostar. Travelled in first class and had misfortune to be adjacent to late middle aged couple on outward journey. Oh how they heaved, sighed and tutted and exchanged highly significant glances in passive aggressive way when one of the lo's so much as muttered anything. I have to say my 4 and 5 year old were pretty good but they had the occasional grumble during a long boring and confining journey as young children are inclined to do.

When ds momentarily (all of 30 seconds) shrieked his disapproval about something (he was upset with the food provided, lol) there was a loud 'shush' from someway amongst the wankerish fellow passengers. So I might have let rip with a rant (just possibly grin -certainly dh told me to calm down)

Same thing on return journey in 1st class with Eurostar. This time next to 30 something Essex couple (snob alert - elocution like Jade Goody btw) who were obviously (i) childless and (ii) full of own self importance being owners of car clamping business - thats a guess btw (lots of stroppy mobile calls to recalcitrant employees telling them they were not good 'enuff'). 30 something woman looked like she was sucking lemons most of the time - I think my playing hangman with dd was a gross imposition (although she probably wouldn't know what that meant)

Strangely the travellers on London Underground were the nicest and most ammeanable (smiling at the children etc)

Does anybody else experience this when travelling?

WigWamBam Wed 14-May-08 14:41:14

I tend to approach the passive-aggressive tuts and sighs with a false smile, gritted teeth, and a very polite (but slightly edgy) "I'm sorry; is there some kind of problem?". It usually stops them because they are generally afraid of confrontation (hence the sighing and tutting rather than saying anything) and they don't want to become involved with the (possibly unhinged) mother of the children. If they do moan about your kids, though, then you have the green light to let rip.

PrimulaVeris Wed 14-May-08 14:43:43

Oh sunshinemummy I had similar when my ds was toddler on cheap flight to Florence - there AND back. Child-hating tuscany villa-owning horrible, horrible people who thought children were vermin.

I just wish dh and I could have made witty retort but we were so shocked and did not want to cause air rage scene. Yet travelled on loads of flights since and never had a problem.

silverfrog Wed 14-May-08 14:49:16

We just had similar attitudes on our flights to/from USA. We flew business class, and both dds (3 9and ASD) and 15 months) were beautifully behaved, but did that stop people sneering and shuddering?

On the way oit, one boring old fart complained that dd1 was walking up and down past his seat (she likes to walk in straight lines, ASD thing). SHe was walking very nicely, and quietly, and had waked up and down no more than twice. FGS, he spent longer than that walking up and down past her seat (presumeably, and quite rightly, avoiding DVT scenario), but she wasn't allowed to apparently hmm

On our return flight, we had a couple ask to move seats once they realised they were sat across the aisle from children. More hmm. At this point, we had walked on to the aircraft, and put our bags in the lockers. THen dd1 had sat down, asked nicely for some raisins and her book, and reminded me to do up her seat belt. Obviously all this indicated how horrible she was going to be for the remainder of the flight hmm hmm

Chequers Wed 14-May-08 14:52:27

Message withdrawn

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 14:56:08

I have told my worst train travel stories on mumsnet before but that won't stop me repeating my favourite one again...

I regularly travel alone with all three DSs. Not very long after DS3 was born (I had him in the baby sling) we got a train up to Yorkshire. We weren't round a table, instead we had two lots of those airline style seats. DS1 sat in the one in front on his own and I sat immediately behind him with DS2 next to me and DS3 on my lap. DS2 was 3 at the time, DS1 aged 5.

DS2 started to play with the pull-down tray on the back of the seat in front. Now, I hasten to add, if there had been an adult sitting in front of us, I would have stopped DS2 immediately, but as it was only DS1 sitting there, and he didn't care, I let DS2 carry on - he was only doing it gently.

Next thing I felt a tap on my shoulder - turned round and the woman sitting behind us barked "Can you stop him doing that - he's getting on my nerves!" I thought this was a bit much, tbh, but I wanted a peaceful journey so I asked DS2 to stop - which he did.

But not content with that this woman then announced loudly to no-one in particular: "Children are allowed to do exactly as they please these days. I think it's very sad."

I'm afraid I saw red completely and let her know what I thought...

MagicMuffin Wed 14-May-08 15:01:09

I had to sit in a seat on the train recently - the floor and seat were covered in crisps and yoghurt where someone hadn't cleaned up after their child.

It's people like that make people's tolerance so low I think sometimes.

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 15:08:00

I have to say I've seen plenty of adults travelling without children make a hideous mess of the table/floor and not bother to tidy up afterwards.

thebecster Wed 14-May-08 15:08:37

HMC - but, as you said, the travelling public on the Tube is brilliant. I mean, not always and not everyone, but on average. DS gets people smiling, making him laugh, playing 'peekaboo', and I often get help with the pushchair on the stairs. And on the bus too - lots of help, lots of lovely people entertaining DS. Big up for the real Londoners! (ie the ones who are on the Tube instead of being in a Chelsea Tractor).

Bink Wed 14-May-08 15:18:52

And the Tube staff! I know they can appear harrassed sometimes (and well they might, given how some people treat them) but the delight of my school run is ds's grateful courtesy at being let through the gates: "If their badge says two names I always say Thank You MR Octavio, not just Felix, because I know he's important".

This has reached a peak with Sasha at High St Ken, who competes with ds, and bows as ds does his earnest thanking.

branflake81 Wed 14-May-08 15:21:13

Actually I think kids are annoying on transport. Yes, they can't help it, they're bored and five years old and believe me I understand the parents' pain. But they are annoying.

thebecster Wed 14-May-08 15:21:14

Oh yes the Tube staff! I fainted a couple of times on the Tube when pg (of course I got off the train and fainted on the platform - wouldn't dream of holding up the Tube...). And the staff were just lovely. Bless the Tube and all who sail in her.

Sunshinemummy Wed 14-May-08 15:23:48

Yes agree they are all lovely on the Tube. One lovely tube staffer once helped me get DS's buggy down the escalator in Liverpool Street as she was worried about me doing it alone!

sarah293 Wed 14-May-08 15:25:46

Message withdrawn

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 15:27:15

LOL at Bink!

We had an encounter with a very friendly lady on the tube over to yours - she insisted that DS2 take a piece of chewing gum - he'd never had chewing gum before and was very excited, but guess who had to complete the journey with a partly-chewed stick of Juicy Fruit in her bag??

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 15:27:54

riven angry

that is just unforgivable

thebecster Wed 14-May-08 15:28:25

shock Riven, you were dead right to tell them to fuck off! God what ignorant bigoted idiots. Grr!

So are people in first class just really nasty then? I've never been in first class since having DS - haven't got that kind of money any more. We spend it all on nappies & broadband grin

sarah293 Wed 14-May-08 15:31:22

Message withdrawn

Tortington Wed 14-May-08 15:33:35

i cringe when its summer holidays and i am on my way to work at some fuckwitted hour of the morning and on stolls mummy with her friend and between them their 6 children under 6

thank fuck for mp3 players is all i can say.

thebecster Wed 14-May-08 15:38:55

Sometimes the simplicity of 'fuck off' is better than any pithy Wildean comment! I can't believe you overheard 'shameful to go out with a child like that' shock That is just the most abhorrent thing I have ever heard. Makes me want to find the person who said that and give them a good shake. And a curfew banning them from public places.

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 15:40:51

Aw, I love it when parents with little kids get on my bus/train to work!

sarah293 Wed 14-May-08 15:43:02

Message withdrawn

AbbeyA Wed 14-May-08 15:45:10

I think a lot of the problem was that you were travelling first class. People think that they have paid the extra to have peace and quiet and therefore are resentful at the sight of a child, even if their behaviour is perfect.

WideWebWitch Wed 14-May-08 15:45:34

Sympathy, I think it's vile that people think it's ok to behave like this.

I smile at small children on the tube and help with buggies.

sdjones2 Wed 14-May-08 15:45:55

There is a lady in Wimbledon ticket office always draws a smiley face on blank tickets for DD(5) and DS(2) so they have tickets too. Orange for her, and blue for hm. Highlight of every trip to London!

Think the staff are fab in the face of all sorts of adversity.

sdjones2 Wed 14-May-08 15:45:57

There is a lady in Wimbledon ticket office always draws a smiley face on blank tickets for DD(5) and DS(2) so they have tickets too. Orange for her, and blue for hm. Highlight of every trip to London!

Think the staff are fab in the face of all sorts of adversity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now