The Great British Travelling Public are such child hating wankerish gits and if I could slaughter them wholesale without incurring a penal sentence, I surely would

(78 Posts)
handlemecarefully Tue 13-May-08 23:30:30

I don't know if anyone else experiences this - I am talking about hostile attitudes towards children, and their parents when travelling. I never encounter this more acutely than when I am on a plane with the kids or a train.

Just got back from a trip to Paris on Eurostar. Travelled in first class and had misfortune to be adjacent to late middle aged couple on outward journey. Oh how they heaved, sighed and tutted and exchanged highly significant glances in passive aggressive way when one of the lo's so much as muttered anything. I have to say my 4 and 5 year old were pretty good but they had the occasional grumble during a long boring and confining journey as young children are inclined to do.

When ds momentarily (all of 30 seconds) shrieked his disapproval about something (he was upset with the food provided, lol) there was a loud 'shush' from someway amongst the wankerish fellow passengers. So I might have let rip with a rant (just possibly grin -certainly dh told me to calm down)

Same thing on return journey in 1st class with Eurostar. This time next to 30 something Essex couple (snob alert - elocution like Jade Goody btw) who were obviously (i) childless and (ii) full of own self importance being owners of car clamping business - thats a guess btw (lots of stroppy mobile calls to recalcitrant employees telling them they were not good 'enuff'). 30 something woman looked like she was sucking lemons most of the time - I think my playing hangman with dd was a gross imposition (although she probably wouldn't know what that meant)

Strangely the travellers on London Underground were the nicest and most ammeanable (smiling at the children etc)

Does anybody else experience this when travelling?

emkana Tue 13-May-08 23:33:30

Oh please don't I will be travelling alone with three children soon and I am already feeling depressed about it.

The disapproving looks.
The fact that NOBODY FUCKING HELPS when you're there trying to manage with your luggage.

angry

handlemecarefully Tue 13-May-08 23:34:30

Sorry emkana sad - but best to be prepared. Take some rescue remedy

serenity Tue 13-May-08 23:37:43

Wow, first class with kids. I'm surprised you didn't get lynched as soon as you stepped on board. Yes, I've travelled and had the misfortune to sit near people who think children should either be seen and not heard, or maybe stowed away with the luggage somewhere. Miserable buggers aren't they?

I hope you had a nice time in Paris anyway smile

handlemecarefully Tue 13-May-08 23:37:50

I think I am going to book a trip to Spain / italy / Portugal for October half term as an antidote to pedophobia. May have to remortgage house and get private jet though

handlemecarefully Tue 13-May-08 23:42:20

I think the first class has something to do with it serena. I suppose people were travelling in those carriages with the expectation of a Spa like travelling experience...we might have fared better in economy..

But f**k 'em.

I'd like to see them try and lynch me grin. I was willing them to say something (to give me something more tangible to work with) rather than do the passive aggressive thing. If they has said something I could have let rip. However I would have looked insane if I had tackled them for heaving, sighing and frowning so I had to sit on my hands and bite my lip. I swear I still have unspent adrenalin coursing through my veins

littlelapin Tue 13-May-08 23:44:16

Go to the Far East. I took DS to Hong Kong and he was like a little rock star. The stewardesses basically ignored everyone else grin and passengers played peekaboo with him over their seats.

handlemecarefully Tue 13-May-08 23:45:23

Littlelapin, I just might!

I found that people were very indulgent towards the dcs in Dubai too

KerryMum Tue 13-May-08 23:46:29

how bad were they really?

UnquietDad Tue 13-May-08 23:46:53

Congrats on using term "pedophobia". Never actually heard that one before! Will try to slip into conversation...

serenity Tue 13-May-08 23:48:03

Slightly better in standard (we did the Eurostar to Disney in february) but only because the families outnumbered the miserable buggers. There were a few stressed looking suits giving various kids the evil eye when we went. I am trying to learn not to care but it's very hard.

DefinitelyNotMARINAWheeler Tue 13-May-08 23:49:12

This is why we get in our car, go hell for leather down the M20 and don't get out until we are in France
Agree with every bitter word you typed HMC, that'll teach you to take children in first class

handlemecarefully Tue 13-May-08 23:49:58

I had to google it Unquietdad

kerry - the dc's were pretty good - truly. The other passengers were toxic though. I genuinely think they expected the dcs to be invisible. They would for instance have politely ignored it if dh and I had been involved in a disagreement on board the train, but ds remarking loudly "Wow, we are under the sea now" was far too much of a cross for them to bear. They seemed to have far higher expectations of the children than they would other adults if that makes sense.

handlemecarefully Tue 13-May-08 23:51:50

Should I go with a preprinted laminated sign next time (I have my own laminator since I am quite anal) saying "Don't even think about showing disrepect to me or my family, I am unhinged and dangerous" ???

KerryMum Tue 13-May-08 23:52:02

sounds desperate.

don't let it get you down.

most people thing all kids should be in coach.

that's their problem. Not yours.

Prufrock Tue 13-May-08 23:55:21

It is awful isn't it. We flew back from Barbados in Virgin Premium Economy and the kids were brilliant - chatted a bit whilst eating, laughed at the cartoons, then curled up and went to sleep. But the looks we got on entering the upstairs cabin were awful - the guy on the other side of the aisle actualy muttered to his wife when he saw us and glared every time I got up into the aisle to get things we'd forgotten to get out of hand luggage. And then the twunt watched TV all night and laughed out loud whilst everyone else (including my kids) was trying to sleep

handlemecarefully Tue 13-May-08 23:58:54

Oh Prufrock - I feel your pain sad

Such a shame it is like this...

Prufrock Wed 14-May-08 00:22:57

hmc - are you still there? I feel sure my dh must know your dh. Is he based in London?

stuffitllama Wed 14-May-08 00:30:21

ooh sympathy, empathy

wish I could remember who said this but have a fab quote from possibly frightfully upper class lady (a Mitford?) on a cruise when other people complained about her kids making merry. She looked up and said:

"Excuse me, my children are perfect".

and looked away.

grin god i would love to have a moment to say that

soapbox Wed 14-May-08 00:35:55

Oh poor you - the same thing happened to me on a flight once where some grumbly old codger said 'your children need to quieten down'. This was at 2pm on a flight to the US.

I went back to my seat (had been on route to the loo) and fished out the ear plugs which had been thoughtfully provided. Walked back to him, handed him the ear plugs and said 'I think these are supposed to go in your ears, but in your case, I think your arse would be a more suitable receptacle' grin I went on to say - 'I thought this was a day time flight not an old people's home where afternoon nap time is the norm!'

I sat down and then pmsl for the remainder of the flight at how witty I had been[oops]

handlemecarefully Wed 14-May-08 14:03:37

Brilliant riposte Soapbox!

UnquietDad Wed 14-May-08 14:14:21

"l'esprit de l'escalier" is alive and well in soapbox!

Bink Wed 14-May-08 14:22:48

Oh dear sad We are doing a first class train out to France for half-term ...

But can I do a balancing anecdote? - coming back on a plane from Malta we got split up & ds (then just 8) had to sit on his own, next to an elderly lady: she turned out to be a retired paediatric heart surgeon and she totally engrossed ds the whole journey. (And she claimed to us she'd enjoyed their chat smile)

Fabulous retort Soapbox!

HMC, I'd go with the laminated sign if I were you. And serious ROFL at wheelclampers description!

DH is (very regular business/first class transatlantic hopper) now very good at playing peekabo with other people's DC on long flights - having been on the end of tutting and comments with our own DC (actually with our own Dc he generally reads and leaves it to me!).

Although, he did recently take DD (8)1st class to USA and she was treated like a princess. On the return trip some of the passengers recognised her enquired politely if she had enjoyed her trip. So maybe there is a cutoff age for the rudeness of strangers.

Sunshinemummy Wed 14-May-08 14:30:14

Never found a problem on the train but on plane back from San Fran recently (Virgin Upper Class) DS had a big old, too tired tantrum, and I could see the other passengers bristling and thinking 'I didn't pay all this money for Upper just to have a screaming toddler in my ear". Luckily he calmed down and went to sleep.

My worst though was BA Economy flight to Florence by myself when DS was about 10 months and was v. well behaved and horrible couple next to me talked about how dreadful it was to be on a plane near a child all the way there!

WigWamBam Wed 14-May-08 14:41:14

I tend to approach the passive-aggressive tuts and sighs with a false smile, gritted teeth, and a very polite (but slightly edgy) "I'm sorry; is there some kind of problem?". It usually stops them because they are generally afraid of confrontation (hence the sighing and tutting rather than saying anything) and they don't want to become involved with the (possibly unhinged) mother of the children. If they do moan about your kids, though, then you have the green light to let rip.

PrimulaVeris Wed 14-May-08 14:43:43

Oh sunshinemummy I had similar when my ds was toddler on cheap flight to Florence - there AND back. Child-hating tuscany villa-owning horrible, horrible people who thought children were vermin.

I just wish dh and I could have made witty retort but we were so shocked and did not want to cause air rage scene. Yet travelled on loads of flights since and never had a problem.

silverfrog Wed 14-May-08 14:49:16

We just had similar attitudes on our flights to/from USA. We flew business class, and both dds (3 9and ASD) and 15 months) were beautifully behaved, but did that stop people sneering and shuddering?

On the way oit, one boring old fart complained that dd1 was walking up and down past his seat (she likes to walk in straight lines, ASD thing). SHe was walking very nicely, and quietly, and had waked up and down no more than twice. FGS, he spent longer than that walking up and down past her seat (presumeably, and quite rightly, avoiding DVT scenario), but she wasn't allowed to apparently hmm

On our return flight, we had a couple ask to move seats once they realised they were sat across the aisle from children. More hmm. At this point, we had walked on to the aircraft, and put our bags in the lockers. THen dd1 had sat down, asked nicely for some raisins and her book, and reminded me to do up her seat belt. Obviously all this indicated how horrible she was going to be for the remainder of the flight hmm hmm

Chequers Wed 14-May-08 14:52:27

Message withdrawn

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 14:56:08

I have told my worst train travel stories on mumsnet before but that won't stop me repeating my favourite one again...

I regularly travel alone with all three DSs. Not very long after DS3 was born (I had him in the baby sling) we got a train up to Yorkshire. We weren't round a table, instead we had two lots of those airline style seats. DS1 sat in the one in front on his own and I sat immediately behind him with DS2 next to me and DS3 on my lap. DS2 was 3 at the time, DS1 aged 5.

DS2 started to play with the pull-down tray on the back of the seat in front. Now, I hasten to add, if there had been an adult sitting in front of us, I would have stopped DS2 immediately, but as it was only DS1 sitting there, and he didn't care, I let DS2 carry on - he was only doing it gently.

Next thing I felt a tap on my shoulder - turned round and the woman sitting behind us barked "Can you stop him doing that - he's getting on my nerves!" I thought this was a bit much, tbh, but I wanted a peaceful journey so I asked DS2 to stop - which he did.

But not content with that this woman then announced loudly to no-one in particular: "Children are allowed to do exactly as they please these days. I think it's very sad."

I'm afraid I saw red completely and let her know what I thought...

MagicMuffin Wed 14-May-08 15:01:09

I had to sit in a seat on the train recently - the floor and seat were covered in crisps and yoghurt where someone hadn't cleaned up after their child.

It's people like that make people's tolerance so low I think sometimes.

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 15:08:00

I have to say I've seen plenty of adults travelling without children make a hideous mess of the table/floor and not bother to tidy up afterwards.

thebecster Wed 14-May-08 15:08:37

HMC - but, as you said, the travelling public on the Tube is brilliant. I mean, not always and not everyone, but on average. DS gets people smiling, making him laugh, playing 'peekaboo', and I often get help with the pushchair on the stairs. And on the bus too - lots of help, lots of lovely people entertaining DS. Big up for the real Londoners! (ie the ones who are on the Tube instead of being in a Chelsea Tractor).

Bink Wed 14-May-08 15:18:52

And the Tube staff! I know they can appear harrassed sometimes (and well they might, given how some people treat them) but the delight of my school run is ds's grateful courtesy at being let through the gates: "If their badge says two names I always say Thank You MR Octavio, not just Felix, because I know he's important".

This has reached a peak with Sasha at High St Ken, who competes with ds, and bows as ds does his earnest thanking.

branflake81 Wed 14-May-08 15:21:13

Actually I think kids are annoying on transport. Yes, they can't help it, they're bored and five years old and believe me I understand the parents' pain. But they are annoying.

thebecster Wed 14-May-08 15:21:14

Oh yes the Tube staff! I fainted a couple of times on the Tube when pg (of course I got off the train and fainted on the platform - wouldn't dream of holding up the Tube...). And the staff were just lovely. Bless the Tube and all who sail in her.

Sunshinemummy Wed 14-May-08 15:23:48

Yes agree they are all lovely on the Tube. One lovely tube staffer once helped me get DS's buggy down the escalator in Liverpool Street as she was worried about me doing it alone!

sarah293 Wed 14-May-08 15:25:46

Message withdrawn

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 15:27:15

LOL at Bink!

We had an encounter with a very friendly lady on the tube over to yours - she insisted that DS2 take a piece of chewing gum - he'd never had chewing gum before and was very excited, but guess who had to complete the journey with a partly-chewed stick of Juicy Fruit in her bag??

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 15:27:54

riven angry

that is just unforgivable

thebecster Wed 14-May-08 15:28:25

shock Riven, you were dead right to tell them to fuck off! God what ignorant bigoted idiots. Grr!

So are people in first class just really nasty then? I've never been in first class since having DS - haven't got that kind of money any more. We spend it all on nappies & broadband grin

sarah293 Wed 14-May-08 15:31:22

Message withdrawn

Tortington Wed 14-May-08 15:33:35

i cringe when its summer holidays and i am on my way to work at some fuckwitted hour of the morning and on stolls mummy with her friend and between them their 6 children under 6

thank fuck for mp3 players is all i can say.

thebecster Wed 14-May-08 15:38:55

Sometimes the simplicity of 'fuck off' is better than any pithy Wildean comment! I can't believe you overheard 'shameful to go out with a child like that' shock That is just the most abhorrent thing I have ever heard. Makes me want to find the person who said that and give them a good shake. And a curfew banning them from public places.

SixSpotBurnet Wed 14-May-08 15:40:51

Aw, I love it when parents with little kids get on my bus/train to work!

sarah293 Wed 14-May-08 15:43:02

Message withdrawn

AbbeyA Wed 14-May-08 15:45:10

I think a lot of the problem was that you were travelling first class. People think that they have paid the extra to have peace and quiet and therefore are resentful at the sight of a child, even if their behaviour is perfect.

WideWebWitch Wed 14-May-08 15:45:34

Sympathy, I think it's vile that people think it's ok to behave like this.

I smile at small children on the tube and help with buggies.

sdjones2 Wed 14-May-08 15:45:55

There is a lady in Wimbledon ticket office always draws a smiley face on blank tickets for DD(5) and DS(2) so they have tickets too. Orange for her, and blue for hm. Highlight of every trip to London!

Think the staff are fab in the face of all sorts of adversity.

sdjones2 Wed 14-May-08 15:45:57

There is a lady in Wimbledon ticket office always draws a smiley face on blank tickets for DD(5) and DS(2) so they have tickets too. Orange for her, and blue for hm. Highlight of every trip to London!

Think the staff are fab in the face of all sorts of adversity.

Sunshinemummy Wed 14-May-08 15:46:30

Not just first class - my worst experience was Economy on BA.

I think people in First Class think they've paid for the privilege of not having to deal with these aggravations, so I'm sure they were horrified in Virgin Upper when we rocked up with a two year old. Staff couldn't have been nicer though and all was fine once we got DS to go to sleep. Also weirdly, when DP was trying to get him to sleep, one woman came over to sympathise and started rubbing DP's neck!

scottishmummy Wed 14-May-08 16:03:33

sorry to hear your all too common tale of rudeness HMChmmhad the misfortune to fly from Italy with 2 ole gumpers swearing, moaning all the way about "wimmin, kids, blah blah in my day" oh and they stank of piss

I recently took then 14 week old DS to London and had a generally good experience.

Both ways on the train DS was pretty noisy (no real crying but he burbles and shoutd at people) We had a few tuts but mostly smiles when he caught people's eyes.

on the way there at Marylebone a nice man carried my rucksack off and helped me on with it. On the way back nobody asked me to move DS who was happily propped on the seat people-watching even though the train was packed. Not sure how they would have like sitting so close to a breastfeeder though :-)

On the tube each time there was no seat I got at least one offer - though its more hassle than its worth to take off the rucksack for one stop!

I was pleasantly surprised though I'm not sure what reception I would have got had he cried more

frogs Wed 14-May-08 16:30:47

My worst experience was travelling alone with three children on Easyjet to majorca. Dd2 was about 6 months, the others 4 and 9.

Easyjet staff let us board first, but when we got to the aeroplane steps, and in the time it took me to collapse dd2's buggy a perfectly able-bodied couple in their mid-fifties pushed in front of us and bagged the bulkhead seats with extra legroom. Bastards.

Normally I'm very conscientious about preventing my children from kicking the seats in front, but on this occasion I just let them get on with it. Oh and dd2 got into that 'hysterically overtired but can't get it together to fall asleep so I'll just wail loudly at my lot' mode. Justice. grin

hifi Wed 14-May-08 16:44:50

i was travelling alone from up north, high summer no a\c, packed train as loads had been cancelled.

i noticed a woman with a very young baby and a toddler crouched near the door, she was breastfeeding. nobody offered her a seat she looked very distressed.

i went to tell the guard and he said go and tell her to come to first class. so off i went , took her toddler, buggy, bag, still no help from anyone, and plonked her in first class. both children then started crying. a young s* then remarked that he hadnt paid all that money to listen to brats. to this day i kick myself i couldnt think of anything to say to him.

JoshandJamie Wed 14-May-08 17:46:10

My approach when going on a long flight is this: when we get to our seats, I stand and face everyone around us. I say loudly: I sincerely apologise in advance for any disturbance our children may cause. We'll try our best to keep them quiet but they're small boys...

So far, I've never had a bad result. Everyone is sympathetic and smiling and tend to help more.

JoshandJamie Wed 14-May-08 17:50:09

Oh - unrelated but a train story so thought I'd share. My DH was doing his return commute from london, standing in the bit between carriages and some very unlovely people got onto the train and proceeded to light up cigarettes. (this was two weeks ago so no smoking laws have been around for some time)

DH says: excuse me, could you put those out please? They give him a whole bunch of attitude along the lines of: what you going to do about it?

So DH leant forward, pulled fags out of their mouths and threw them out of the window. He's six foot five and ex-military. They shut up after that and everyone else in the immediate vicinity thanked him.

I'd never have been brave enough - too many weirdos around who might pull a knife or something - but I thought well done him.

My DH was unfortunate enough to encounter a male idiot child hating nutter on a London Underground train. This person who was in the process of getting off at his stop leant over before disembarking and told DH off in a nasty and threatening manner because my son (who btw had paid for a ticket) had the audacity to be seated next to my DH!hmm. He felt that my DS should have given up his seat. Well the train was half empty at this point so there were seats available anyway. This bloke's girlfriend was with him - she to her credit looked horrified. TBH if there had been any LT staff in the vicinity I would have reported this man.

Have been in Club World on BA with my son also and have had no bother from any pax at any time. The only crapola I've ever had from a fellow pax was this child hating woman a few years previous who took an irrational dislike to my son walking past her on the flight. She literally pulled herself back into her seat every time he (or any other child) walked past. Stupid cow!!.

Have also travelled Leisure Select on the Eurostar to Brussels and have never had any bother from any child hating numbnuts. Infact fellow pax have been understanding. This is also perhaps because we've used this service in the evening.

Top tip for Eurostar: book over the phone. Ask for the child carriage. This is a carriage that is mostly people with kids, so they all run amok. Very easy journey, ime.

Yes, there are a few childless people in there, presumably they were rude to the people on the phone? grin

Janni Wed 14-May-08 19:29:17

I use public transport in London all the time and find people generally friendly and helpful. Planes I hate, long distance train journeys I feel tense, like I have to keep the kids really well behaved. I haven't experienced anything as outrageous as you describe - perhaps something to do with First Class = Highly Intolerant ??

TheFallenMadonna Wed 14-May-08 19:36:19

I've never experienced anything like this. Perhaps I'm just very thick skinned.
Or my DC are incredibly well behaved hmm
Or perhaps it's because I always travel economy...

I always get old ladies on buses telling me how lovely they are.

Most people are pretty nice really...

Turniphead1 Wed 14-May-08 19:50:45

Not strictly travel related per se - but the funniest I had was an oldish couple who were staying in our MARK WARNER (!!!) hotel in Greece (I think they were Dutch or something and that a few beds are sold to unsuspecting people through travel agents) and they sat near us each lunch time and muttered and gave us the complete evils because our kids were moaning, being noisy etc.
I was like Its a Mark Warner holiday FFS !!!

hifi Wed 14-May-08 20:50:19

i must say travelling on the underground is a pleasure, last time dd and i were walking down a huge flight of stairs, i noticed no one was passing us, 2 transport police were behind us making sure no one overtook us.

i remarked to dh that dd gets so many comments and smiles, mostly from tired commuters. surprising really after incessant i spy.

mrsgboring Wed 14-May-08 22:52:52

I've travelled first class Eurostar and it was fantastic. The only problem was we were with MIL and FIL who had bought DS lots of toys to "occupy him on the journey" which were incredibly noisy and annoying. They spent their whole time cringing at every noise, electronic or otherwise, made by DS.

I was fuming as I find the best way of handling it is to have the hide of a rhinoceros and serenely rise above anything that isn't actually offensive. I don't even notice if there are passive aggressive tutters. They are not there, only my delightful child. <rising above it all emoticon>

I do ensure he keeps the noise down, doesn't fidget, bash or invade others' space but I refuse to apologise for the simple fact of his existence.

avenanap Wed 14-May-08 23:10:01

Ds and I are going to Paris in the summer holiday. I think he'll go down very well in first class grin. I shall warn you before we go.

handlemecarefully Wed 14-May-08 23:38:05

"I was fuming as I find the best way of handling it is to have the hide of a rhinoceros and serenely rise above anything that isn't actually offensive. I don't even notice if there are passive aggressive tutters. They are not there, only my delightful child. <rising above it all emoticon> "

Agreed - excellent strategy - but far easier said than done!

1dilemma Wed 14-May-08 23:45:28

A bit surprised everyone has had such a good reaction on the underground, although it maybe has got better recently, lots of stations near us and on my trips between work and schools have escalators out of order including one long one and I did get offered help several times (although I am travelling wiht a toddler, baby pushchair and bag. I just wish LU would put up a sign before you go throught the gate (and fix them once and for all one station was shut for ages a few years ago)

The very worst reaction I have had was on a flight leaving USA.

AMerican airlines I think.
We were about 9 hrs late taking off,no news/updates given at all. I think we had spent an extra hour or two on the tarmac again with no news

ds in sitting down pushed with his feet on the seat in front, I told him not to as you do.

I think the stewardess saw him, she literally turned on me hissing and spitting and said if he did that agian she would have us thrown off the plane (what a relief I thought grin) and proceeded to yell and shout at me. I asked to see her supervisor so they sent someone up from ground crew who wanted to talk about baggage. I asked again they ignored me.

They refused to serve him any food.

Several passangers around (including Americans) said they thought she had been outrageous and would speak up for me when the supervisor came.

She never did, writing this I realise to my shame I never wrote to complain.

The sad thing was

a) ds was asleep before takeoff
b) even stretched ds was too short for his legs to reach the seat in front grin

American airlines are foul I personally their staff steal twice from passangers in 2 flights, when I conplained to dsis she told me

Everyone knows americal arilines are c$%p, why do you think I never fly with them?

At which point I thanked her for warning us grin

handlemecarefully Wed 14-May-08 23:57:07

1dilemma - what a horror story shock

handlemecarefully Wed 14-May-08 23:58:29

Shit I am flying to the US in August - dh booked it. I hope to God it is BA rather than American Airlines

1dilemma Thu 15-May-08 00:19:03

I hope so to but it sounds like you'll be the match of most stewardesses!
Enjoy your trip

Pimmpom Thu 15-May-08 12:29:59

Absolutely shameful angry On last long haul flight, announcement was made that there was a child with a serious nut allergy on board (my ds) so there would be no nuts on sale and could passengers refrain from eating their own. Man sitting across aisle from my ds said loudly "FFS, it's all f*ing allergies nowadays, what a load of bull**" angry

I've got a story to add.
We've moved to Sydney and DH went ahead of me (cunning) to set up his business/find us a house etc.. So, I had too travel from Heathrow to Sydney with DD (11months) on my own. Singapore air helped me get to the departure lounge and then I was stuck amongst the most po faced British twats I have ever encountered. DD was amazing, but it was the 1st flight for the airbus 380 (double decker plane) so there was a party to wave it off. We actually got nudged out of the way by some disapproving overly made up Chanel clad face lift bints, with bubs the one being nudged the most. Someone else nearly trod on her and NOBODY offered us a seat. So we sat on the floor and got glared at by people sitting on seats. She was pretty good all the way except when she couldn't sleep and the tutting...oh the tutting... Do we really want this reputation? No wonder we're called whinging poms over here.
Dreading going back to face it all over again!

BTW Scottishmummy your post made me laugh!
Forgot to say that I was told off for breastfeeding by two oldies in Bedford last year. So I offered them some in their tea - hoho!

WilyWombat Thu 15-May-08 13:03:51

What I really hate is when I am in a restaurant having a meal, someone chooses to sit near me and then huffs about my children angry

mrsgboring Fri 16-May-08 07:15:11

The way to rise above it all is to drink large amounts of gin

Underconstruction Mon 19-May-08 14:30:43

I second Littlelapin on the Far East... the only problem is having to slow down so often for your children to be adored. Took DDs on Eurostar and had a middle-aged stoney-faced woman next to us on the hot and delayed journey home. There were plenty of single seats for an unburdened single person to move to but of course she just scowled at us every time DD1 so much as moved. After lots of whispered directions to keep still, behave etc I had an epiphany and just whispered to her not to do it because the lady that doesn't like children doesn't like it... I then sat back and enjoyed 3-year-old DD asking me intermittently for the rest of the trip in the only voice my Dad can hear without a hearing aid "where's the lady-who-doesn't-like-children?", "why doesn't she like children?" etc. She didn't offer to help with our bags when we reached London.

MrShev Wed 21-May-08 12:17:53

I have just had a similar experience coming back from Bordeaux.

After getting priority boarding (along with around 8 other couples) - because we had a small child and my wife is pregnant - we were seated at the front of the plane. As some of us were folding up buggies and generally sorting ourselves out the vanguard of the other passengers literally barged past us and started boarding the plane. We still managed to get on on row 5 or something and we sat down (on a 1/2 full plane I might add) and our son (22mths), who is not a good traveller, was an ANGEL.

We were prepared (we had snacks, colouring books, story books and puzzles), we had a spare seat (joy) and a short flight with no delays. All around us were babies and toddlers in various states of distress but our son, apart from talking and colouring was perfect. He didn't chuck anything, scream or cry.

The couple in front glared at us the entire journey and tutted and huffed. Our son may have occasionally pushed the seat in front but never willfully or hard.

As we were leaving, my wife asked them what the problem was and they said that our son was the most badly behaved child they had ever encountered. My wife, bless her, is a bit of a fiery one even 8mths pregnant and responded:

'So, you don't have children then?'
'We do and they were very well behaved when they were your sons age'
'Did they have planes then?'says my wife.
'How dare you!'
'You're just a couple of f***g child hating w**ers aren't you?'

Thing is, it kind of decended into a bit of a swear fest which I didn't really want my son to be part of, but my wife is dead posh but she does go off when she does.

I just rise above it, but I hate the fact that people hate children.

Sorry about the long post - rant over!

sunnydelight Thu 22-May-08 09:12:41

I have a few child hating horror stories, but often people surprise you. I was in first class on a train with DS1 when he projectile vomited all over the place. Luckily first class wasn't very busy so we had four seats to ourselves, but I was expecting much tutting and general horror from the man across the isle in the expensive suit. Instead he got up, moved my bag away from the mess, found me tissues, went to the loo for more paper towels, sympathised etc. He didn't even move seats afterwards to get away from the smell, bless him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now