Can kids take their own suitcases on the plane?

(17 Posts)
Binkyanne Tue 17-Jul-07 14:20:14

Ok, yes I know, not actually on the plane but can kids have their own little suitcase to have all their own clothes etc in? I've always put their clothes in with our stuff but I'm thinking that's gonna make it a lot heavier this year, so I thought they could have the excitement of having their own suitcase. Has anyone ever done this before? The new security rules at airports are a nightmare, aren't they? Now we have to buy everything in 100mls too!
Love to hear of your experiences with kids and suitcases! Thanks.

jura Tue 17-Jul-07 14:26:30

When we've travelled with the children they do have their own bags or suitcases - if they have a seat (ie are over 2) then they have their own baggage allowance, and it is more sensible to use it by having an individual bag for each person, than it is to risk one bag being overweight.

The dcs also like having their little rucksacks as carry-on luggage with their books, games, teddy etc for the flight.

Remember, the security rules re liquids etc are only for stuff that you need to take in hand luggage. You don't have to buy everything in 100mls - just stick it in your suitcase and check it in! And you can take anything you buy airside (eg a bottle of water) onto the plane too.

PestoMonster Tue 17-Jul-07 14:32:47

Our dds both have their own suitcases. But, we cross-pack a bit, just in case any go missing at the airport. Therefore, we'll each have a couple of outfits, plus a set of swimmers in each other's case. Would hate to arrive at the resort without being able to change into shorts or go to the pool.

haggisaggis Tue 17-Jul-07 14:32:57

It is better if you can split everyones's stuff through all the check-in bags - so if one bag goes missing you at least have some clothes for everyone!(having said that, I pack the children's clothes in once case and ours i the other - but dh (afterwards!) suggested mixing them as did the girl at check in!)
Re the liquids thing - the 100ml does only apply to hand luggage. Note though that I was caught out coming back from US - I purchased moisturiser in Boston duty free - but as we had to change at Frankfurt and go through security again, it transpires that the US duty free packaging does not meet EC guidelines - so security binned my Clinique moisturiser! Just as well I decided not to buy a bottle of gin too!

GooseyLoosey Tue 17-Jul-07 14:34:11

Agree with Jura - if they have their own seat (on easy-jet at least) they are entitled to own allowance and can also take 1 hand bag on.

McDreamyGonagall Tue 17-Jul-07 14:36:14

Yesa the children are entitled to a luggage allowance, including babies without a seat - at least they do at BA who I fly with frequently.

Binkyanne Tue 17-Jul-07 16:31:39

Thank you so much everyone, my question has been answered about the kids and their suitcases. I will now get them each a little case. I'm still a little confused about this liquid 100mls business though. On the airport website it doesn't really state clearly about what should be in a 20x20 clear bag. It shows a picture of toothpaste, deodorant, perfumes etc but I would put all those things in my main luggage anyway! So let me get this straight - sun lotion, shower gel, shampoo etc etc can all go in main suitcase?

McDreamyGonagall Tue 17-Jul-07 16:33:02

Yep everything in the main suitcase only stuff you want for the journey in hand luggage. I don't bother putting my stuff in bags either - I usually take juice and milk for the DC's

Binkyanne Tue 17-Jul-07 16:36:14

Thanks ever so much again. It's nice that I've found out exactly what I what to know. It's a shame the airport website is not more imformative, I bet lots have people have been putting ALL their liquids in 20x20 clear bags! I almost did! xx

Blu Tue 17-Jul-07 16:41:54

McDG - have BA really allowed you a 20kg allowance for a baby with no paid-for seat? They didn't for us when DS was a baby.

AND watch out for airlines which give a lower kg allowance for children on child fares, too.

lapsedrunner Tue 17-Jul-07 16:57:58

Yes

jura Tue 17-Jul-07 17:11:52

Bear in mind that many travellers fly with ONLY hand luggage - or at least used to before fun and games of last summer, so the deodorant/toothpaste etc is a very common thing to have in hand luggage for lots of people.

I spent much of last year flying to and from Europe EVERY week - initially I was hand luggage only, but after the security scare had to check my case in every time. I must admit, I got into the habit of dumping my makeup bag (in fact my whole handbag) into my case and carrying only my wallet, phone, blackberry and passport in my computer case! At least then it was less confusing because NO liquids were allowed. But now just stick them into your suitcase - as I say, I'd even put make-up in there if you can bear to be without it! It just saves hassle at the security screening.

McDreamyGonagall Tue 17-Jul-07 17:13:33

No it wasn't the full allowance but he did have an allowance

OhNo40 Tue 17-Jul-07 17:24:30

Just one thought which you may already have had- my DD has just been given a little suitcase, complete with wheels/trolley handle. I was just thinking the other day that I was glad we didn't use it for hols as I don't think it would have survived baggage handling. It is very flimsy.
You might be better off buying an "adults" small case rather than a childs one.

Judy1234 Tue 17-Jul-07 17:58:13

We always gave them their own.

Also air lines are weighing individual bags sometimes now and not letting parents big heavy one over limit and using excess from child's beacuse of damage to the backs of the baggage handlers. Amusingly if you're business class that does not appy. I doubt that's because they use stronger baggage handlers in club class.

You'll need to check with the individual airlines re baggage allowances. We flew with Monarch at Easter and we were each allowed 20kg, but we COULD have some bags heavier than that as long as it wasn't over their maximum (32kg). We weren't in business class. I did phone the airline to check as one of my friends got caught out with the "each person only allowed 20kg max rule" and they said that scheduled and charter flights have different rules. But I would still check out with your airline.

Skribble Tue 17-Jul-07 21:42:05

We have normal sturdy cases for the kids, trolley style that the kids can wheel with their cabin back packs on top, if need be we piggy back them onto out bigger cases using straps, but to be honest you never really have to pull them far use a airport trolley and fling them all on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now