Going to Brussels, never been, hints & tips please?

(10 Posts)
DirectorofDomesticLogistics Thu 24-Nov-16 18:56:21

Myself and DM are travelling to Brussels next Friday - Sunday by Eurostar, arriving at Brussels Zuid on Friday at 6pm local time and departing Sunday 12pm local time. We plan to visit the Plaisirs d'hiver / Winterpret / Winter Wonders in the evening of the Saturday (have heard it's best to do it in the evening for atmosphere and lights etc?) We are staying at the Hilton on Grand Place but haven't paid for breakfast.

Both myself and DM are complete newbies to Brussels so looking for recommendations on where to get a nice evening meal on the Friday, breakfast on the Saturday and Sunday, and what to do during the day Saturday? I am 8 months pregnant so not up for masses amount of walking, but can manage a little. All information welcome!!

Starisnotanumber Sat 26-Nov-16 17:18:46

Been to Brussels a few times, it depends on what you want with regard to your meal with where you are suggest a restaurant called Neutnigenough it's authentic Belgian type cuisine with prices around 20 Euros. It's a few minutes from grande place.
Not sure about breakfast as never not had it included but have sat in Starbucks on grande place for people watching (same view as expensive places). There's a Carrefour supermarket on the little road off the grande place at the side near Starbucks if you want anything to take back to your room.
Have you any interest in music last time we were there found museum of musical instruments really interesting 8 Euro admission. All inside and they give you headphones so you can hear what instruments sound like
Good for a sit down as well.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 26-Nov-16 18:34:53

I have stayed in this hotel and its very nice. Brussels Centraal station is located directly opposite. You may want to consider having breakfast in there one morning as it is of good quality. There is a Carrefour express supermarket located next door to this hotel which is well stocked also.

I would take a taxi to the Grand Sablon area (its about a 10 minute walk away from the Hilton but the last part of it is uphill hence the taxi suggestion) and eat in Wittamer. There are some nice cafes in that area as well.

The Mannekin Pis is not far from the Grande Place.

Although it is located in a very touristed area in the Rue de Bouchers, Chez Leon do good food.

HermioneWeasley Sat 26-Nov-16 18:37:58

Lots of places around Grande Place for breakfast. If you walk up the little street next to the Godiva shop it takes you to another little square with a Novotel and there's lots of cafes in there.

I just love wandering around buying chocolate as the fancy takes me!

DirectorofDomesticLogistics Sat 26-Nov-16 19:30:09

Thanks for these tips! Is it best to just wonder around as our feet take us during the day then, is there lots of little shops & cafes?

Allalonenow Sat 26-Nov-16 19:31:04

My favourite restaurant is very close to the Grand Place, La Roue D'or at 26 Rue Chapeliers. It's a typical Belgian Brasserie, ask your hotel porter's desk to book you a table, they open for lunch and dinner.

Don't miss a trip to the Galeries Royales Saint Hubert, a lovely shopping arcade, a short stroll from the Grand Place, wonderful chocolate shops smile.

Have a wonderful time, it's a beautiful city.

MrsJW15 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:42:20

Yes, lots of shops and cafes, you wont struggle to find places to sit down! The metro system is very good and should help you get around when you are too tired to walk somewhere. You can get a single ticket that gives you 10 rides. Each time you go into the metro, the machine will stamp it once. You can both share the same one (get the ticket stamped twice) and so one should cover you for the trip.

DirectorofDomesticLogistics Mon 28-Nov-16 22:26:05

Great thank you for all of these :-)

Dogolphin Fri 02-Dec-16 15:05:04

Is there anything that would appeal to a 12 year old? I spotted a Chocolate Museum?

MrsJW15 Fri 02-Dec-16 15:16:31

The Musical Instrument Museum is pretty good. You get a set of headphones and when you walk over to each item, you can hear what the instrument sounded like. It's very clever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now