Canary Islands - which resorts with nearly 4 year old?

(11 Posts)
TigerMoon Sat 19-Nov-16 09:09:55

Thinking of having a week away in January to Canary Islands (as should be warm without having to go long haul). Having trouble finding something though as I'm fussy on requirements and don't know much about the Canaries.

Can anyone recommend good resorts to choose for me, DH and DD (nearly 4 years)?

We would want somewhere with a beach, restaurants, things to do, without needing car hire.

Also - DD doesn't sleep so well if in the same room so would be looking for a hotel with interconnecting rooms, a two-room apartment or a large room with separate sleeping areas - can anyone can recommend accommodation that sounds like it would fit the bill?

Thank you!

GazingAtStars Sat 19-Nov-16 09:16:38

I liked costa adeje in tenerife

Artandco Sat 19-Nov-16 09:18:07

I think without a car your pretty trapped in one space, as everything is spread out

dreamingofsun Sat 19-Nov-16 09:20:59

adeje not been to but sounds good. playa blanca on lanzarote, peurto de mogan gran canaria. both have slightly longer transfers than masspalomas on gran canaria (which we visited but didnt stay at but looks decent) and peurto del carmen lanzarote (which is hilly, and u need old town end). weather in jan maybe ok, maybe not. we've been in feb and been lucky but they have said that previous weeks have been iffy a couple of times

INeedNewShoes Sat 19-Nov-16 09:29:57

Playa blanca, Lanzarote, is chilled out and seems geared towards more sedate tourists (ie not loads of clubs and being collared by staff standing outside bars luring you in for 2 for 1 cheap nasty cocktails).

I liked playa blanca and we ate well at the local restaurants and found enough to entertain us by doing a couple of organised coach trips.

I couldn't stand Puerto del Carmen. It was like a cheap nasty England. The restaurants were generally not good and very geared towards perceived English taste. The focus walking down the main street seemed to be alcohol and full English breakfasts served with chips.

Mogan on Gran Canaria was lovely when I visited but that was twenty years ago.

dreamingofsun Sat 19-Nov-16 09:32:34

ineed - which area of puerto del carmen were u in?

INeedNewShoes Sat 19-Nov-16 09:37:13

Dreaming i can't remember which bit. Where I was staying (nice apartment in quiet back streets) was nice but there was nothing there apart from a decent ish Italian restaurant. I walked the full length of the main street desperately searching for the nice bit without ever finding it! Are you going to tell me there's a nice part away from the sea front that I missed!?

ItsJustaUsername Sat 19-Nov-16 09:39:42

Caleta de fuste in fuerteventura is good for little ones. 5 minute drive from airport, pedestrianised area with restaurants and lots of playparks dotted about. Lovely beach in front of the big shopping centre which also has a cinema complex. We rented a private property in a small complex, it even had stair gates/pool toys etc.

dreamingofsun Sat 19-Nov-16 09:47:09

ineed - .were you near the harbour? thats the old town area. we have found the food to be quite good there. yes you get all types of restaurants, but the food has always been to a decent standard. its not all spanish - agreed - i've had the best beef and ale pie in a lovely complex away from the front near our apartment and my husband raves about the english breakfasts (we just embrace good food rather than authentic spanish when we are there) oh and the fish and chips at the irish bar are the best ever anywhere. there are also more authentic restaurants in the back streets where the locals eat as well. i agree the other end of the resort is tatty

lazyb0nes Sat 19-Nov-16 10:00:49

We went to Fuerteventura in October with our almost 4 year old and loved it. We stayed in Corralejo here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/9671594?eluid=0&euid=fbb79fc0-1663-4190-a5c0-b7197fc2c426
We did hire a car though which was the right move for us as we went to El Cotillo three times during the week. First time in the Canaries and I loved it, will defo be going back. Beautiful beaches, gorgeous weather without being too hot for me, and if you don't like really touristy places that can be avoided. The sand dunes/Flag Beach near Corralejo are great, as is El Cotillo.

TigerMoon Sat 19-Nov-16 11:52:00

Thanks for all the recommendations - will check out your suggestions.

lazyb0nes that property looks lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now