Lanzarote and passport validity

(6 Posts)
MilesHuntsWig Tue 08-Nov-16 22:02:25

Evening all. Can you help me with a quick sanity check please...

DD's passport runs out at the end of Jan - we're going to Lanzarote in early Dec. I've checked the FCO website and it says that should be ok - as long as your passport's valid for the whole stay it's all fine.

But... I'm sure you used to have to have at least 6 months on your passport when travelling to Spain, have I misremembered or gone mad, or was that something else like airlines requiring min 6 months left or something?

TIA

dementedpixie Tue 08-Nov-16 22:30:32

Some countries need 6 months remaining and others don't. You should be fine for Spain

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 09-Nov-16 14:46:50

From the Foreign Office website on travel:-

"Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. This applies to the whole of Spain, including the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands (Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza and Formentera)".

WeAreEternal Wed 09-Nov-16 14:53:45

The general rule is:

In Europe you can travel right up until it expires (as long as you return to the uk before the expiration date.

For the rest of the world you need 6 months after your return date valid on your passport.
Although a lot of countries don't really mind.

The canaries are definitely ok, I flew to Grand Canaria with only a couple of weeks left on my passport last summer.
All they do is give you a document at the airport to say that all your documents have been checked and are valid and you keep it with your passport.

YerAWizardHarry Wed 09-Nov-16 14:54:57

We are in Tenerife right now and DPs passport runs out in January, totally fine hasn't even been mentioned

MilesHuntsWig Wed 09-Nov-16 20:39:41

Fab, thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now