Has anyone been to Vietnam/Cambodia in the rainy season?

(7 Posts)
msrisotto Sun 06-Nov-16 21:04:37

We're hoping to go next year ideally but might not be able to do it in the dry season. Any experiences?

AnyFucker Sun 06-Nov-16 21:06:47

Perhaps not quite the same but I have been to Thailand and Bali in the rainy season

My experiences were that you got short, intense periods of rainfall 9(approx an hour or two) then the skies would clear and the sun would come out

The humidity was very high all the time though

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sun 06-Nov-16 21:07:36

Watching with interest as am planning to go to Cambodia next year. Vietnam is less of a problem, I think, because the north and south of the country have different rainy seasons, so you can plan your trip to avoid the rains.

ScarletBegonia1234 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:25:45

I have....Siem reap was under 3 foot of water!

mmgirish Sun 13-Nov-16 10:35:44

I have a few times. You can be lucky and miss out on the rain. Or you can get caught up in monsoon rain with lots of flooding.

msrisotto Sun 13-Nov-16 13:04:21

Ok fair enough thanks. I won't risk it as it's such a lot of money/leave from work we'd hate to be disappointed

ShanghaiDiva Mon 14-Nov-16 13:17:53

Vietnam is wet in the north (sapa area) in the summer, but Hoi an is dry then and is a lovely place to visit. Have been to Hanoi in the summer and weather was mixed - rained on one day, couple of days were overcast, but remainder was sunny. There are plenty of things to do in Hanoi. ( museum, water puppet theatre, cooking course, shopping) if weather is not great. Not an ideal time to visit ha long bay, but you might get lucky with the weather and could book at short notice - I saw lots of trips being advertised when we were there.
Friends of mine went to Siem reap this July and weather was fantastic, but it's a risk and walking around Angkor wat in the rain is no fun and there is not much to do there that is not outside. Pnohm penh would be easier if weather is mixed. - palace and museums etc.
If you want to go to SE Asia in the summer Malaysian Borneo and Bali, Java are dry then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now