Is there still such a thing as a last minute package bargain?

(9 Posts)
fluffiphlox Thu 03-Nov-16 17:00:35

If so, where do you find them? Thanks.

mummymeister Fri 04-Nov-16 09:42:28

No is the short answer to that. there are lots of places now that people used to go to that they wont go to this year due to either unrest or Zika. that means the same number of people trying to book fewer destinations. it happened last year as well. also with brexit the price of a foreign holiday will be more due to the exchange rate which doesn't look like it is going to change any time soon. the major bargains are the ones booked a year in advance plus you do get the choice. A travel agent friend of mine once said that the last minute bargains are the holidays that no one else wants and you have to ask yourself why that is.

have a look now at some of the comparison sites like expedia, ebookers and skyscanner for flights. you might find it cheaper to pick a package that you want and then book the individual elements yourself rather than through the package company.

CatatonicLadybug Fri 04-Nov-16 09:56:24

Well I will say yes, because we took a last minute bargain on a package holiday last month. We booked what was obviously a cancellation because one day it wasn't there at any price and the next day it was there with just one set of dates and about half the usual price.

We booked direct with the resort and not through any third party who would take a commission.
I checked their website quickly each morning and evening for at least a few weeks so I knew what the prices and availability was like and could spot anything new or suddenly cheaper. We also knew how far out they gave partial refunds for cancelled bookings, so mostly looked for that timeframe in case someone cancelled the last day they could get some money back.
We were very flexible with dates (kids not in school yet helped- not sure anywhere would have a half term bargain).
As soon as we saw the deal, we booked without having to have a family conference about it or anything. I phoned DH at work to confirm he could take those days off and booked right then.

Years ago I would have used LastMinute to book an actual last minute bargain but that's a much more challenging game these days than it used to be!

purpleleotard Fri 04-Nov-16 09:59:09

Have you looked at holidaypirates.com?

fluffiphlox Fri 04-Nov-16 10:15:35

Thanks all.

Dowser Fri 11-Nov-16 20:53:45

I've just paid £45 for flights to canaries in three weeks time.
Get a cheap apartment.
Bargain

fluffiphlox Sat 12-Nov-16 00:13:53

Thanks for the tip.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 14-Nov-16 08:32:40

I also got cheap flights to Lanzarote in December, even cheaper than Dowser. Use skyscanner to check prices, but mine were with Monarch and there were also cheap with Ryanair but from a different airport slightly further away.

fluffiphlox Mon 14-Nov-16 19:51:28

Thank you too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now