Long haul entertainment

(8 Posts)
mistyegg Wed 26-Oct-16 13:42:18

Hi, We are looking at a long haul flight next summer to visit family going with DD aged 7 and DS aged 5. I was considering getting them each their own electronic device to help keep them entertained both on the way there and when needed while abroad. At the moment, they both share my old iPad mini when needed. This will be the first time we've travelled for more than a few hours and across time zones with the children.

I've been looking at the Kindle Fire with the kids package or the Nintendo 2ds. Any suggestions if either of these would be any good (or anything else that may be an option!) thank you

Shutupanddance1 Wed 26-Oct-16 13:49:37

If your flying long haul and they like watching movies, check what inflight entertainment they have onboard (for the 7 year old at least)

Lobelia123 Wed 26-Oct-16 14:15:59

If you fly on a carrier like Emirates or Virgin, they will have amazing on board entertainment so its worth having a look at the programming, channels and games on their websites first smile I would just take your own good quality headphones as they ones they hand out are dire!

mistyegg Wed 26-Oct-16 21:26:45

Good tip about the headphones thanks! Ideally I'd like them to have something for distraction as well for airports, transfers and times with the family where they will be expected to be seen and not heard (there won't be many other children about) that will still work well abroad.

BusStopBetty Wed 26-Oct-16 21:36:01

No help on the device, but one of the best things I've discovered is that you can download CBeebies and CBBC programmes using the app so they can be watched anywhere.

NicknameUsed Thu 27-Oct-16 19:49:25

"I would just take your own good quality headphones as they ones they hand out are dire!"

I second that. We flew with VA this year and the entertainment was very good and varied, but I'm glad I took my own headset.

DarceyBushell Thu 27-Oct-16 21:21:28

2DS is good but you'd need to buy loads of games to make it work for what you want (although eBay is a great place to buy them). DH recently bought himself a Kindle Fire and says it's v good. Small screen though, not ideal for gaming.

We did Florida this year and we did use the tablets a lot at the airport, a lot of hanging about esp. when flight was delayed. Didn't use it on the plane as there was plenty for them to watch plus eldest child puked after playing for 30 mins, think it was the looking down.

NicknameUsed Fri 28-Oct-16 16:37:58

If there is a CEX near you, you can buy second hand games there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now