Air BnB properties

(4 Posts)
backinthebox Mon 24-Oct-16 23:08:24

Quick question - how clean would you expect an air BnB property to be?

We rented a private house with only 24 hours notice. We had another property rented through air BnB but the owner told us with only 36 hrs notice that parts of the property would not be available to us for the duration of our stay, and this meant that our stay in that property would be impractical. So we looked for another one at very short notice and are in the one we are in now.

So we know it was short notice, but it isn't cheap. It is obviously someone's home and they have vacated it for us but the fridge is full of their food and is father grotty, the bins are overflowing, the bathroom bins have their rubbish in, and everything is basically tidy but, well, a bit sticky. They have secured their personal belongings by sellotaping the wardrobe doors closed.

We've rented houses before but never from air BnB, is this kind of thing fairly normal or are we in a grotty one?

mummymeister Tue 25-Oct-16 17:35:15

depends. are you in the UK? also you will have to make sure that you feed this sort of info back to the website and not just write it off as one of those things. you are paying money for a letting and therefore it should be as clean as any other holiday let that you have been in.

tbh we have used airbnb before ourselves but very cautiously as I am always a bit worried about how they comply with letting rules to do with things like CO monitors, gas safety and fire safety. in the uk if you let a property out then you need things like fire risk assessments and it seems that airbnb type places get round these rules.

I think you may have got unlucky - but they didn't have to take the booking so if they didn't think it was enough time to clean up etc then they should have turned you down.

certainly feed this back in case they do this to everyone.

crocodarl Tue 25-Oct-16 20:20:13

Um, NO! That is not OK. I have been an Airbnb host for nearly 5 years and I can say for sure that is not acceptable - hosts are given very clear guidlines regarding cleanliness and if they don't do it, like mummymeister says, you have to make sure all that goes into the review. Also, you have 24 hours after arriving at an Airbnb property to decide if it's acceptable before Airbnb releases your payment to your host. So you can contact Airbnb help and get a full refund if this kind of thing happens. Hope you took some photos to back up your case.

frenchfancy Fri 28-Oct-16 13:52:22

Not acceptable at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now