£3500 - where to go at the end of August?

(12 Posts)
bridgetjonesmassivepants Sun 23-Oct-16 19:06:27

Am sure that this has been done to death but please bear with me...
1)NOT FRANCE!!! Been far too many times.
2)The budget must include transport and self catering accommodation.
3) Must have a pool, preferably a waterpark.
4) 10 days to 2 weeks duration.
5)Travelling from York - do not want to be stuck in a car for two days to get to destination.
6) Two bedrooms are a must.

I've got three ideas myself but thought I'd ask for the collective wisdom of Mumsnet to see if there are any fantastic ideas that I haven't considered.

BackforGood Sun 23-Oct-16 22:34:16

How many people ? Obvs if you are spending £3500 on two people, it's different from spending that much to get a holiday for a family of 8.

Can you fly from anywhere that is a reasonable drive from York ?

bridgetjonesmassivepants Mon 24-Oct-16 08:10:49

Yep, that info would be helpful, two children ( 8 and 10) two adults, can drive and fly!

EarSlaps Mon 24-Oct-16 08:23:26

We did Lake Garda for less than that. We flew to Verona with BA (was under £700 for four), spent three nights in a hotel in Verona then seven nights here. We hired a car. In total it was £2500 plus food and spending money.

There are two water parks around Lake Garda and a theme park. Plus amazing views, lovely food, beautiful towns etc.

UnderCoverGuvnor Tue 25-Oct-16 15:38:16

Another vote for Lake Garda - we went this year and have just booked to go back next year. Flights from Heathrow to Milan for 2 adults and 2 children cost £480 (daytime Saturday flights in August including baggage). We will hire a car and are staying in the same apartment www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g950408-d10568345-Garda_Lake_above_Toscolano-Toscolano_Maderno_Province_of_Brescia_Lombardy.html
Lake Garda is beautiful and you can do as much or little as you want to, there are water parks and Gardaland themepark.

bridgetjonesmassivepants Wed 26-Oct-16 06:57:20

Cheapest flights I can find to Verona at the end of August are £1400... Will check Milan.

bridgetjonesmassivepants Wed 26-Oct-16 07:01:40

Milan is cheaper, around £700ish.

UnderCoverGuvnor Wed 26-Oct-16 09:08:11

I booked Heathrow to Milan - we are going 29th July. Last year we flew with Easyjet - Gatwick / Milan it cost us £280 for the four of us with 2 cases, they haven't released the flights yet for August 2017 they are due on sale anytime now. We booked with BA in August and were happy to pay a bit more this time to have first pick of the flight times, Heathrow is much better for us then Gatwick. We have done a deal direct with the apartment owner and had our pick of the summer dates, it's popular and great value and we didn't want to risk waiting!
Keep an eye out for Easy Jet releasing the summer flights - great value if you can get one of the lower fares.

EarSlaps Fri 28-Oct-16 12:35:50

£1400 shock we've flown four of us to Tampa for that price!

We booked our tickets for Verona around October time (and we were surprised we got an ok price considering the opera festival was on). We even flew business class on the way back. Might be worth having a look at other times, routes etc.

Chewbecca Fri 28-Oct-16 12:42:37

Fly to Athens, drive to Pelepponese.

EasyJet & Ryanair flights are not released yet for next summer but tend to be cheapest when they first come out.

OohNoDooEy Fri 28-Oct-16 12:46:26

Costa Brava

Jet2 to Girona - £800 for Aug 7-18
Car Hire
Rent this for £1370 - www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/roses/741818

JoJoSM2 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:00:55

The cost of flights will probably be the deciding factor. Have you try skyscanner? You could enter you want to fly 'everywhere' and it will show you which countries you can fly on a budget to. You could then add the accommodation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now