Traveling on Saturday got insurance but no ehic

(5 Posts)
earthyambitions Thu 20-Oct-16 21:33:58

Going abroad for the first time in many, many years! We have travel insurance bought through the travel agents online but didn't know about the ehic card which I've just read about. Does it matter that we don't have the cards? What will they give us that insurance doesn't? Is there anything I can actually do about it at this point?? confused

AveEldon Thu 20-Oct-16 21:36:36

Apply online for the EHIC anyway www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do
You will then be covered even though you don't have the physical cards
Insurance will often expect you to have the EHIC

LIZS Thu 20-Oct-16 21:38:10

Insurance may not pay out if you don't have one as it could reduce their costs. You can still apply online now, just take a copy of the relevant reference numbers and the contact number from overseas should you need to claim. You don't need the physical cards to be covered.

PurpleAlerts Thu 20-Oct-16 21:38:41

I think you can sign up for the EHIC cards on line and print out the details if the cards don't arrive on time. Be careful though- EHIC cards are free and there are official looking websites that charge you £15!

earthyambitions Thu 20-Oct-16 21:53:45

Thanks all I've done it on the website. It says it will be processed within ten days. I'll print the confirmation email and take that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now