New York

(24 Posts)
chickenowner Sat 15-Oct-16 15:08:17

I'm taking my Mum to New York for a 4-5 day holiday and wondered if any of you had any recommendations for where to stay?

I would like a mid-range hotel and don't want to be too far from the sights, but am happy to use public transport if being in walking distance is too expensive or noisy.

Would anyone recommend Queens? Or any other boroughs?

Thank you!

Hulababy Sat 15-Oct-16 15:17:20

I would stay central as much as you can to reduce travelling.

Last time we went we stayed at the Hilton mid town, and time before we stayed at DoubleTree (Metropolitan) both in Manhattan.

First time we rented a house much further out on Broad Channel and came in by the subway each day. Was about 45 minutes. Wasn't too bad as we were staying a week, and we were with friends and 3 young children between us so the villa space and size was hugely beneficial.

Kate555578 Sat 15-Oct-16 15:27:56

We stayed at the grand Hyatt by grand central station. We were in walking distance of most things and when we weren't we were able to get a direct tube from there. I wouldn't definatly recommend and stay there again if we go again.

originalmavis Sat 15-Oct-16 15:30:00

We were in the park lane which overlooks central park - amazing location and got a good deal booking direct.

Jaimx86 Sat 15-Oct-16 15:36:55

Ive stayed in Queens - we had a huge room with a view of Manhattan for half the price of a Manhattan Room. Queensborough Plaza subway is two stops away from the Lexington Avenue subway (look at map for reference) so you're as close to the 'centre' as staying anywhere else. It suited us as we wanted to see all the sights and we're back at the hotel by 10pm. Next year, we're going again but staying in Manhattan as we want to experience the the nightlife so
have chosen a hotel by some bars we wanted to try.

Jaimx86 Sat 15-Oct-16 15:38:03

*we were back at the hotel

chickenowner Sat 15-Oct-16 15:41:02

Thank you all, I will investigate all your suggestions further!

Has anyone used AirBnB for an apartment in New York? That's another possibility...

AbelMancwitch Sat 15-Oct-16 15:44:23

Watching with interest as am also about to book somewhere - my friend told me staying in/near Times Square is just absolutely hectic and noisy 24/7 and to stay a a bit out of it so have been looking around Washington Square or slightly south of Central Park...

Rainshowers Sat 15-Oct-16 15:47:09

We stayed on Park Lane the first time we went which was ideal, could walk or easily pick up public transport to everywhere we wanted to go and had Central Park on the doorstep.

I think Air BnB isn't technically legal in Manhatten (although I have friends who have used it) so worth doing some research if you're considering it.

claraschu Sat 15-Oct-16 15:47:21

I would do air b and b. I haven't used it in NY, but have looked and seen great places. Much cheaper and nicer than a hotel, I think.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 15-Oct-16 15:47:55

NYC frowns upon AirBnB I'm told.
We too are going soon. I usually stay with mates but can't this time so we're investigating options for Manhattan but slightly less manic then the hot spots.

partystress Sat 15-Oct-16 15:53:30

We booked flights through Trail finders and they put a package together whereby 3 nights in a Manhattan hotel midway between Central Park and Times Square for almost free. Tbh though, quality of hotel really not that important when there is so much to do and see.

aginghippy Sat 15-Oct-16 15:54:53

It's illegal to rent out an entire apartment for less than 30 days in New York. Majority of city's Airbnb rentals last year were illegal.

Hulababy Sat 15-Oct-16 15:59:54

Sure you can't use Air BnB and rent apparent in Manhattan - some legal thing

chickenowner Sat 15-Oct-16 16:34:53

Aah, thank you for that aginghippy and Hulababy, I hadn't realized.

chickenowner Sat 15-Oct-16 16:36:23

Partystress Thank you, I'll have a look at Trail finders. I agree that the hotel isn't the most important thing, but I'm taking my Mum, who's in her 70s so I have to bear her in mind too!

claraschu Sat 15-Oct-16 17:56:51

Might be illegal, but it still happens. My nephew was hosting people for years. He just was supposed to be living on the premises, but he was in a separate apartment. Not sure if it was legal, but it worked well.

SwedishEdith Sat 15-Oct-16 18:24:12

We stayed at the nyma. Good value, great location, near a subway, breakfast included (bit limited but fine - can always get it elsewhere if fancy a change), roof bar with great view of ESB as on next block.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 16-Oct-16 08:43:42

No, not Queens, you'll just spend more time travelling to and from Manhattan (you're only there a few days as it is). You need to stay in Manhattan itself and in a hotel.

No to Airbnb in NYC either; short term lets of 30 days or under are illegal in this city. There are many scams and people have lost a lot of money as a result. Sites like this as well do not check the veracity of listings.

Unicorn1981 Sun 16-Oct-16 08:52:32

We stayed just hear queensborough plaza. We could get the subway into the centre really easily and it didn't take long.

Unicorn1981 Sun 16-Oct-16 08:53:22

Oh and we went for four days and squeezed loads in so I can't say it was inconvenient to our trip.

Jaimx86 Sun 16-Oct-16 12:10:42

I agree with Unicorn (see my post above). Staying by Queens Plaza saves a lot of money and takes no more travel time to tourist points than staying in some places in Manhattan.

MummaB2016 Tue 18-Oct-16 10:15:43

We've just booked Hotel Eventi on 6th Avenue. It was incredibly reasonable considering the location and it looks amazing! Not sure if we just happened to get a good deal (booked through Virgin Holidays) but it was WAY cheaper than any other decent looking central hotels. We go at end of November. So excited!

selfishcrab Tue 18-Oct-16 10:17:34

We stay in Queens and love it, a huge apartment and everything on the doorstep.
We use the subway and it takes you right into times square.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now