What does everyone think, been asked to keep children quiet at a hotel pool

(18 Posts)
Twosuperboys Wed 21-Sep-16 19:23:07

We're on holiday in a nice Greek hotel, we're the only family. Mostly quiet older couples. Our well behaved 3yo was splashing me in the pool, (the 1yo was asleep) and we were the only ones in the pool. There was only two other couples, one of who had been playing with our son earlier and helping him learn to swim (super friendly nice people) and this other British older couple. The man comes up to us and says as its a hotel pool can we keep the noise down. I said yes politely but am now feeling really sad and cross as we weren't being rowdy, being 3yo he only goes in the water for about 30 mins at a max and then reads books and plays playmobil so beautifully as he's quite an introverted little boy. He was finally getting confident in the water and now I feel stressed about keeping him quiet. My partner says it's as much our right as there's to make reasonable noise so long as we aren't excessive. Sat here worrying now. Help! What is best to do?

Coconutty Wed 21-Sep-16 19:26:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrschatty Wed 21-Sep-16 19:28:18

Ignore. Just go about your business and let 3yo enjoy!!! As was said on a recent thread if you don't want children at your hotel book adult only!!

cosmicglittergirl Wed 21-Sep-16 19:29:35

He was a guest? Not the owner?

Go back in the water and if he comes up again, don't apologise just say 'we're on holiday and enjoying the pool'. It's not as if you're kid is doing bombs into the pool and screaming.

Twosuperboys Wed 21-Sep-16 19:30:13

I shall have to admit my partner is right then and endeavour to ignore! Thanks 😊

IhatchedaSnorlax Wed 21-Sep-16 19:32:09

Agree with the others - ignore & enjoy your holiday.

Twosuperboys Wed 21-Sep-16 19:32:58

Yes was just a guest. It's not a massively typical child place, but we booked a family suite with cots and high chairs so the owners definitely welcome children! I wouldn't let the boys be unreasonable and we keep them inside at the witching hours round sleeps etc. Can't promise in a few years they won't be genuinely rowdy and then it'll be kids club resorts perhaps!

Soubriquet Wed 21-Sep-16 19:35:06

Eh? A guest on holiday actually asked you, another guest, to quieten down?

How random

If they ask again, point out politely that it's your holiday too and if they didn't want to hear children playing they should have gone to a child free resort

cosmicglittergirl Wed 21-Sep-16 19:35:12

The guy sounds like a misog. That sort of thing would niggle at me too b

littlepooch Wed 21-Sep-16 19:38:01

I agree - ignore. If you want absolute peace and no risk of children playing and being children then book an adults only hotel. That's what we used to do pre kids. You and your little boy have as much right to enjoy and relax and shouldn't be feeling all on edge and stressed x

StripyHorse Wed 21-Sep-16 19:41:39

Perhaps they thought by avoiding school holidays they would avoid all children.

Tough.

Ignore the grump and enjoy your holiday.

Blu Wed 21-Sep-16 19:44:25

Tell him that as I is a hotel pool he might prefer to sunbathe somewhere quieter if he doesn't like the sound of the pool being used.

PikachuSayBoo Wed 21-Sep-16 19:46:33

His problem for not booking an adult only hotel.

Maybe he was hungover but even so he should have bitten his lip and not said it.

Tiredandtested Wed 21-Sep-16 19:50:24

I think if he was running round screaming by all means a quiet word would be appropriate. But normal swimming and playing in the water he can piss right off.

Maybe you & DH can show DS how to dive bomb?

dementedma Wed 21-Sep-16 19:51:55

As long as your wee one isn't shrieking and splashing other guests, then no problem. Carry on!

TheCraicDealer Wed 21-Sep-16 19:52:37

His problem for not booking an adult only hotel.

Exactly. Please tell this arsehole the next time he slopes over, "sorry you feel that way. Maybe for your next trip you can book an adults only hotel". Then smile sweetly and cannonball into the pool.

Twosuperboys Wed 21-Sep-16 19:53:47

Good idea 😉

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 21-Sep-16 21:42:07

Ignore the nasty person who made such a comment. His problem indeed for not booking adults only accommodation.

Enjoy your holiday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now