Insect repellant

(5 Posts)
MattLegg Wed 21-Sep-16 07:53:44

Can/should children below 2 use insect repellant?

Dowser Mon 26-Sep-16 22:53:18

We've bought incognito l there's no nasties in it.

Iwillorderthefood Mon 26-Sep-16 22:59:03

I believe that there are wristbands that they can wear, however I do not know the name of it. Hope all goes well.

SJane45S Tue 27-Sep-16 08:46:12

Where are you off too? The level of protection you'll need will depend on where you go! If you're off to the tropics the wrist bands by themselves won't be a fail safe - a mosquito snacked on my ankle right next to one out in Central America this summer. I did use the plastic spiral ones on my daughter - they ran out faster than the stated 3 days though. Deet based products are not recommended for under 2's. We used mosi-guard natural in the evenings which you can use over 6 months and that worked!

KnitNerd Sun 02-Oct-16 21:45:51

DEET is OK for anyone over 2 months old. It's overkill if you are just wanting to avoid being bitten, vital if you are in an area where there is a risk of disease such as malaria. Icaridin/picardin is the next safest option. Other things do work but some work very badly such as incognito. All of them have chemicals, but then so do most shampoos etc. The problem with the weaker repellants is that you need to use them more often, which means more of the chemicals being applied to the skin. Keep covered up with long loose clothing to protect against the sun and the insects. Use a good strength insect repellant and you'll only need to apply it a couple of times a day. Making sure your living area is safe by using plug ins is very helpful too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now