Holiday sleep advice-16 month old

(11 Posts)
MattLegg Wed 21-Sep-16 07:39:43

We are going away on our first overseas family holiday (1week in Cyprus in a half board hotel) and my wife and I have different ideas about how baby sleeping is going to work and I want to know if I'm being unreasonable as its already causing stress before we go.
My idea is he stays up with us a little late 1 or 2 nights but apart from that we do his usual routine then try to get him to sleep in the buggy.we all go out to eat and come back later (9.30ish) and transfer him into his bed.
My wife wants pretty much to stick to the usual routine which will mean at least one of us being in the room with him from 7.30pm each night...to me defeating the family holiday idea.
How do other people do it?
Please any advice (whether it's what I want to hear or not) would be welcome.

PatriciaHolm Wed 21-Sep-16 10:13:34

We always did what you suggest. Works as long as you have a child who will sleep in a buggy - not all will!

noramum Wed 21-Sep-16 12:57:24

This is a reason while I didn't do hotels at that age, DD never slept in a buggy.

Saying that, we returned from Spain and I was amazed about the amount of toddlers in buggies, but they were hardly asleep. The families all ate from 7pm onwards, they often then went to the room, dressed LOs in pj and went back with the child wide awake. A couple of families ended up dropping the changing routine and just went out to the bar/entertainment area and let the LOs run around and made their way back to the room with a half-asleep child at 9-10pm.

TeaBelle Wed 21-Sep-16 12:59:30

I'd let dd stay up and just put her to bed when she got tired - she can normally last til about half 8 if out and about so although it necessitates eating a bit earlier, it's definitely do-able.

juneau Wed 21-Sep-16 13:07:15

Well, it depends on your DC. We have two DSs. DS1 wouldn't sleep in his buggy - not ever - so this kind of arrangement didn't work for him. He also didn't nap much during the day, so by bedtime he was always exhausted and keeping him up late was a disaster - major tantrums, crying, etc. He also wouldn't sit in his buggy and quietly play with a toy or book or something - so on holiday, as with every other day, he needed to go to bed at 7.30pm. We just had dinner with him at 5.30 or 6 and took it in turns to go down to the bar or whatever. It wasn't ideal, tbh, but it was what he needed.

DS2 was more laid back and would nap pretty much anywhere, so he could be kept up. Plus he would sit in the stroller and munch happily on something or play with a toy for ages. He was a DC I could take clothes shopping for an hour or two and he'd just sit there contentedly.

So which kind of DC do you have?

user1471507699 Wed 21-Sep-16 13:08:57

Will the time difference work in your favour i.e. If bedtime is normally 7:30, that will be 9:30 there? You could adjust to Cyprus time and keep your toddler on English time! (Might even get a lie in!)

MattLegg Wed 21-Sep-16 13:54:50

He is pretty good and will sleep in the buggy during the day but we haven't tried "putting him to bed" in the buggy.

frenchfancy Wed 21-Sep-16 15:27:23

Definitely keep the baby on UK time.

juneau Wed 21-Sep-16 19:00:49

In that case try it and see. If it doesn't work you can go to plan B.

Janek Fri 23-Sep-16 12:57:46

I just googled the time difference between here and cyprus, so i could come on and say keep your baby on uk time - we always do this when we go to europe (so they go at 20:30 instead of 19:30) and it should theoretically give you a lie-in too.

If you do the converse and try to acclimatise to Cyprus time, you might find yourselves being woken at 04:00 every day once you get home.

NicknameUsed Fri 23-Sep-16 17:56:26

If you are staying in a hotel you might find that the evening meal times won't allow you to put your baby to bed at 7.30 anyway. A lot of hotels start dinner at 7pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now