New York restaurants for a special occasion...

(14 Posts)
Jaimx86 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:29:09

Please can someone advise me on restaurants in New York. We want to book one or two for a special occasion.

I always through I'd go to Per Se, but now I've looked at Daniels and The Modern, I'm wondering if I'd prefer them instead. I'd love to
hear off anyone that's dined at one of these places.

Can anyone also recommend the 'best' sushi place in New York? Doesn't have to be in a restaurant, it can be a back street cafe or takeout.

Anomite Sun 18-Sep-16 21:41:43

Sushi Zo in the West Village- does a tasting menu only..

sushizo.us

Jaimx86 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:58:35

Animate, that looks great. I'm happy for the chef to tell me what's best to eat that day. Will show it to DP who is sushi mad!

Jaimx86 Sun 18-Sep-16 22:01:24

Anomite

OneFantasticFox Sun 18-Sep-16 22:10:57

I've been to Daniel's on Upper East Side. It was sublime!

Anomite Sun 18-Sep-16 22:17:53

Jaimx- I have just pm'd you my list to take a look at! Have fun!

Jaimx86 Sun 18-Sep-16 22:19:41

Did you have any problems booking Daniels, FantasticFox? Would we be better asking our concierge to book?
Thanks, Anomite!

WaitingForEgg Sun 18-Sep-16 22:26:41

Balthazar is lovely. Depends what kind of food you like?

Joneseygirl77 Mon 19-Sep-16 06:54:46

Try the sushi restaurant in the Bryant Park hotel. Excellent sushi in there- we had a great meal.

Jaimx86 Mon 19-Sep-16 07:14:16

Thanks, Jones. We're staying near there so that sounds ideal.

Waiting, I like most food except for fried food, pasta and traditional roast type meals. Ideally, I'd eat seafood all day, every day grin

Ememem84 Mon 19-Sep-16 07:40:49

Benjamins near grand central. Best steak I've ever had.

Avoid hakasan. Service was awful. They didn't care that they'd messed up our order. (The only bit that got then to treat us better was me saying "do you know who I am?" The server looked horrified, apologised then kissed my ass the rest of our time there. And I'm pretty sure all of our drinks were free. No idea who she thought I was though. I didn't pretend to be anyone...)

Jaimx86 Mon 19-Sep-16 17:20:50

Thanks, Ememem. The menu at Hakasan looks huge! Puts me off a bit...

TheWildRumpyPumpus Mon 19-Sep-16 17:38:06

We used to live in NY and did all the 'fancy' restaurants.

My favourite is Gramercy Tavern, their tasting menu is divine.

One if by land, Two if by Sea is also amazing.

If you want more local hangouts I'll have to do some research to remember names!

Jaimx86 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:32:48

Thank you. The menu at Gramercy Tavern looks great - a seperate cheese menu! Yum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now