Holidaying alone

(8 Posts)
TheLegendOfBeans Sun 18-Sep-16 18:14:21

Good evening

My awesome friend has just split from her "D"P and is in long overdue need of a treat.

I know that there are several companies out there that do group holidays for solo travellers but I'm at a loss as to what to recommend.

Have any of you guys done this and can you recommend anything I can send to my chum? Budget prob around £700 max and likely departure date November.

TIA xx

DanniiMinogue Sun 18-Sep-16 18:21:18

Does she simply want a break or does she specifically want to be part of a group holiday?

I travel alone a fair bit but have never booked through a company primarily because it seems to cost quite a lot more than me arranging a similar package online and because I don't really want to be stuck with a bunch of strangers (normally quite a lot older than me).

Despite organising my own travel, I've always met people whilst away - people tend to be friendly anyway when they're away and more so once they see you're alone.

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 18-Sep-16 19:57:20

Thanks Dannii, I think she'd want to go as part of a group?

3Eggses Sun 18-Sep-16 21:09:11

What sort of thing are you looking for? I've done trips with Explore (Sri Lanka) and Dragoman (South Africa). Both are fine. G Adventures and many of the others are also fine - it mostly depends what the rest of your group are like.

Are you looking for warmer weather? If so I'd recommend Asia (India/Sri Lanka/Thailand/Nepal) or Central America at that time.

I think you may struggle with budget though - the tour might be under £700 but flights and spends will take you over.

If weather is not an issue then Christmas markets in Europe will start popping up in Novmber. Group tours to these might attract an older clientele though... how old is friend?

Trekking in Nepal could be done cheaply - she could join a group once there...?

If you can give a few more details I will do my best to throw ideas.

clippityclop Sun 18-Sep-16 21:11:30

My friend has used the holiday company Jules Verne in the past, don't think they charge a single supplement. They do city breaks and river cruises.

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 18-Sep-16 21:34:45

She's mid thirties, like me, and whilst quiet I think would really enjoy a group hol with people of a similar age.

It seems like the best groups go to places as Eggses mentioned but yep, budget is a bugger.

Ach, she's having a shit time and I really just want her to get out there are do all the things she's wanted to do that her deadbeat BF held her back from doing past few years plus I want to get credit for coming up with amazing suggestions haha

Thanks everyone for ideas x

BarbaraofSeville Mon 19-Sep-16 09:53:02

Does she want to do a particular activity? I've been on scuba diving and mountain biking holidays both with DP and on my own and there's always been a mix of people there - singles, couples, groups of friends and even families.

So if she signs up to an activity holiday, she should find that it is a similar mix.

For diving, mountain biking, and hiking, there are often lots of local companies in resorts that take groups out - for example if she goes to Funchal, Maderia, there are lots of companies offering guided walks along the Levadas, which are the inland canals that are used to move water around the island.

Revealall Tue 20-Sep-16 17:05:35

I'd not recommend it. If she's in the early stages she's probably feeling the " being alone" bit keenly. It can be hard work talking to strangers if you are used to having someone who knows you well around. Holidays with mixed groups including couples could be even worse. It wears off once the benefits of being single come into sharp focus!

Can't you take her away. A good girls trip is brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now