Athens - anyone been recently?

(6 Posts)
Viewofthegarden Fri 16-Sep-16 19:16:01

Has anyone been to Athens recently? My DS and DH are keen to go for a short break there, but having read some recent posts on Tripadvisor, I came away with the impression that pickpocketing (often carried out by organised gangs) may have become so endemic there that it would be at risk of spoiling the trip. Can anyone advise? If you are able to say how it compares to other European cities you have visited, that would be helpful.

mummymeister Sun 18-Sep-16 01:05:16

i went to Athens with one of my DC over Easter this year and we had a great time. we got a flight and hotel deal at the last minute which was perfect. really easy to get around in Athens as we got a 5 day metro ticket. enjoyed the city guided tour as well as visiting all of the ruins. we felt a lot lot safer in Athens than we did in Barcelona. las ramblas there was absolutely horrible.

I was a bit surprised at the sheer number of run down buildings but no, we didn't have any problems at all.

Sounbelievablydull Mon 19-Sep-16 12:42:48

I went last year- I was alone and felt very vulnerable.
Got ripped off by a cab driver.
The city is very run down.
It was great to see the Acropolis though

mummymeister Mon 19-Sep-16 15:33:02

we preferred the agora and also all the little sites dotted around. the acropolis walk up was good but once up there it did all feel a bit artificial as most of it is in the museum next door and what you are seeing are replicas. it was also very slippery!

LuchiMangsho Mon 19-Sep-16 15:36:22

No didn't feel unsafe. Went with DH and DS (4). We stayed in a little Air BnB place. We did the Open Top Bus Tour, went to the Acropolis Museum and climbed to the top of the Acropolis. Saw the Agora, walked around the Plaka and Monastiraki and ate lots of souvlaki. It was lovely.

Viewofthegarden Mon 19-Sep-16 23:58:47

Thank you all for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now