Holiday with toddler - what toys to pack?

(9 Posts)
Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 12-Sep-16 14:13:33

We're going self-catering for a week on Med coast with 2yo DS. We'll be close to a beach and have a swimming pool, but weather can be changeable at the time of year and worried about keeping amused when we are indoors.

We'll be quite tight on our baggage allowance so looking for good ideas for light, non-bulky things to take to keep DS entertained.

Avebury Mon 12-Sep-16 14:19:29

Balloons/Aqua draw/small world people/ paint brush to paint patio with water/toy cars/party bag type toys/spray bottle

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 12-Sep-16 16:03:53

Some great ideas there, thank you! Balloons is an excellent one!

I was also planning to bring some chalk for patio drawings but I need a few more indoor activities in case we have terrible weather.

He is obsessed with his train track but I'm not taking a bag full of Brio with me, too heavy! Trying to think of some creative ways to recreate a track with what we'll have with us - kitchen roll tubes perhaps?

FlyingCat Mon 12-Sep-16 16:09:43

Play dough (small pots and makes sure to treat as liquids if putting in hand luggage), lacing cards and laces, small cars and cardboard 'road' segments that he can arrange endlessly, Building blocks made of cut up sponges.
Fuzzy felt shapes and background, reuseable stickers,
Tablet with YouTube connection!
Nothing that will cause tears if lost!

Laquila Mon 12-Sep-16 16:16:55

A travel Aquadoodle, without a shadow of a doubt.

A haberdasher's tape measure, the kind that pings in when you press's button (hours of fun).

A sticker book

A pack of plasticine

A blow-up ball

dinkystinky Mon 12-Sep-16 16:53:13

small cheap tubs of playdoh from pound shop, sticker book, small cars (some new cheap ones you can wrap up are good), bouncy small ball, blow up ball and bubble mixture all hits with ours at that age

as well as socks for sock puppets when desperate!

Stellabystarlight Mon 12-Sep-16 16:57:29

For the roads for cars/tracks for trains we take a roll of masking tape to stick to floor. Light, disposable and lots of fun. Pound shops do packs of 5.

T0ddlerSlave Mon 12-Sep-16 17:05:26

And if weather good early on make sure you collect pebbles/shells to play with if it rains.

Purplehonesty Mon 12-Sep-16 17:11:33

We're in spain right now and my kids haven't played with anything other than matchbox style cars.
Dd won a teddy at a theme park and made it a bed but that's it.
They've been too busy out and about in the pool and visiting places.

We did bring their iPads tho and in they've watched tv on them (you tube on wifi) whilst waiting to go down for dinner etc.

We bought woggles and a blow up boat for the pool when we got here. They can easily spend a whole day in the pool and have to be dragged out for lunch and drinks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now