Am I being totally nuts and unreasonable!

(20 Posts)
user1473509591 Sat 10-Sep-16 20:31:36

Please bring me back to earth. I feel like I'm having a mid life crisis at 25, unresolved PND and a general lack of fulfillment in life has made me crave doing something I wanted to do before I had kids - rep in a drinking resort like maga.
My partner says 'yeah go for it' but I think if I genuinely put my name down to do it he would think differently about it. I have two young kids who would be 6 and 2 by next summer, a job (that will probably be okay with me taking three weeks off) and start a degree in october (but it's through the OU so I should be okay there too) but am I an awful selfish mum for wanting to leave my kids for that long for a boozy working holiday? I want to feel like me again but a night out in the next largest town never feels like enough sad (just FYI I've been out three times this year, I'm not a raging party alcoholic)

ihatethecold Sat 10-Sep-16 20:40:57

Who will have the kids?

user1473509591 Sat 10-Sep-16 20:41:26

My partner, the kids dad. He's self employed so works when he wants x

wenchystrumpet Sat 10-Sep-16 20:43:17

Sounds fun, go for it.

Drquin Sat 10-Sep-16 20:46:07

I'm of the opinion your life doesn't need to get put on hold just because you've got kids. So by all means do whatever makes you happy. You'd be leaving the kids with dad for a few weeks. Not unreasonable in itself.

But ...... Is there more to it? You mention "unresolved PND". Is that something you could address in other ways? Would speaking to someone, a doctor maybe, help?

The ideal scenario is you get the PND resolved, as I'm not convinced the three weeks in Magaluf is the overall solution. But only you know what will be the best option for you and your family. flowers

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 10-Sep-16 20:49:15

You couldn't be a rep for 3 weeks.

specialsubject Sat 10-Sep-16 21:32:00

regret to say that's my thought too. No-one will take you on for that short a time. Also the job is 6 days a week full-on work, not a night out!

get the PND sorted then look at the next step.

user1473509591 Sat 10-Sep-16 21:50:35

Sorry, typo, meant 4 weeks and there are definately places that will take you for that length of time. It's just something I've always wanted to do grin

ImperialBlether Sat 10-Sep-16 21:50:43

"You've done too much, much too young
Now you're married with a kid
When you should be having fun
With me!"

OP, don't go there. You've made the decision to have children and no, going to Magashag or somewhere and working as a rep isn't an option now.

Sorry to sound harsh.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 10-Sep-16 22:33:09

I've been a rep - theres a reason there are companies who only take people for short periods it's because no one will stick with it for a season - you have to wonder why?

It won't be partying and having fun - it will be hard work

RootTeeToot Sat 10-Sep-16 22:40:37

What do you like about the idea of being a rep?

specialsubject Sun 11-Sep-16 10:09:40

Having idly researched this kind of thing - there are times of year for these jobs and it takes a little while to get set up. It isnt like the other kinds of repping where you get the job in advance.

Save up and go on holiday?

specialsubject Sun 11-Sep-16 10:18:36

Which you could do by buying one of the 3-4 week packages from the firms that do it. Flight, room, bar crawls. Dont forget insurance that covers work.

mouldycheesefan Mon 12-Sep-16 06:47:24

It's not a good idea. Consider why you want to do this.
Sounds like you have a very supportive partner though, I wouldn't chuck that away to piss and shag it up in Spain.
Read some accounts of those who have done it. The dreadful Shona sibary from the daily mail recently had a piece about her 17 year old dd doing it.

TheOddity Mon 12-Sep-16 06:53:59

It's pure fantasy, which is fine. By this time next year when baby is two, it will all feel a lot better. Spend your energy on going to the doc about your end and don't get fobbed off. Your partner is obviously a peace maker and you are obviously sick of caring for small children (I empathise!)

mummymeister Mon 12-Sep-16 13:13:57

I think others are right. you have to get used to the "new me" with kids not the "old me" without. takes a lot of adjustment whoever you are. going off for 4 weeks to be surrounded by pissed single people having sex isn't going to make you feel any more like you. You will be working hard whilst they are playing hard.

get the pnd sorted out first, then revisit this idea.

AmberGreyson Mon 12-Sep-16 13:17:30

i don't think that it's a problem, go ahead

Makemineacabsauv Mon 12-Sep-16 23:42:10

I was a rep for years a long time ago and it's a job I loved and would dearly love to do again but I have kids. My plan is to do it in retirement as a lot of companies prefer more mature reps! Personally I wouldn't do it all n your situation and as a pp said there is a reason why some companies will employ you for 4 weeks. I repped lager lout resorts and it's not all fun and games, you deal with a lot of problems and spend many hours at hospitals and police stations as well as the airport! I much preferred smaller resorts with less drunken nightmares to sort out. Initially I thought the party resorts would have the best night life but they didn't.

KitKat1985 Thu 15-Sep-16 14:37:35

Hmm, aside from the fact that I do think the 'escapism' factor here may be related to your unresolved PND, I don't think repping will be what you think it will be.

People I know that have done speak of: being up at all hours to do airport transfers and excursions (perfectly common to be up until midnight dealing with an evening excursion, and then have to get up at 3/4am to meet an early morning flight), dealing with endless customer complaints, and dealing with a lot of drunken abuse. I don't think you get much time to do any partying yourself, and I think most reps are pretty exhausted most of the time.

I honestly think you may be better off looking at girly holiday. Do you have any friends you could go away for a few nights with next summer?

Jaimx86 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:32:33

Try and get your hands on last month's Cosmopolitan magazine. A journalist went undercover as a rep in Magaluf and the experience sounds awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now