Best time to book a flight

(13 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Mon 05-Sep-16 12:41:30

Having just come back from s fab holiday in USA we are keen to go back . What is the best time to get flights ? I need to get it as cheap
possible , we will book hotels privately . We used a travel agent this year but they messed up both hotel bookings and left us stranded at an airport as they messed up our transfer . When we complained they said it was up to us to check bookings and deal with any issues !

What time of year?

Where do you want to go?

(Would suggest you fly direct rather than indirect).

Pinkpeanut27 Mon 05-Sep-16 16:48:52

Next summer , probably August , not sure where but am thinking if San fransisco ,LA ,San Dieago or maybe Canada .
Definately agree about flying direct , when I say cheap I mean best value for the airline not rock bottom.
We flew with BA this year and they were ok not sure who is better .
It's a bit out of my comfort zone as we usually do easy jet to Europe .

LazySusan11 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:19:26

Personally I would look on seat guru and have a look at the seat width and pitch on each airline, LHR so SFO, LAX etc is a really long flight stuck in a 17 inch seat with little leg room.

BA have just finished their sales but they will probably have another before you go.

Icelandair have relatively cheap flights to the US and Canada

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:33:23

Thanks for that tip I'll have a look .

ihatethecold Wed 14-Sep-16 12:47:01

I always book as soon as they are released so I can pick and choose my flights.
Trailfinders are very good at helping you get the best deal.
They adjusted my flights by 1 day to save me quite a lot of cash last year.

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:58:34

Trailfinders got us good flights last year but totally messed up our hotels twice and a transfer from the airport so they are not in my best books .

ihatethecold Wed 14-Sep-16 16:01:14

Oh no. That's the first bad comment I've heard about them.
They organised an amazing Thailand trip for us all this year.

AmberGreyson Mon 19-Sep-16 13:02:15

I have read recently an article and it’s said that the most cheap tickets price is 52 days before the flight. You can also use cheap flight services like lowcost.club/ . It's very convenient to find cheap airlines and compare the prices. They do not charge commission for booking. I always use it.

lovelyupnorth Mon 19-Sep-16 15:37:28

52 days i would say is bollocks - having worked in travel thats a very risky time to book if you have a specific destination and or date to travel

we're going to arizona via canada with WestJet out of gatwick was £1500 cheaper than BA. i did look at lots of wired and wonderful combinations - always worth checking flights out of Dublin which has the added advantage of being able to clear US immigration in Dublin - though thanks to the Euro crash may not be as good as in the past.

rookiemere Mon 19-Sep-16 16:09:33

If it's school holidays then you're usually best booking asap.

I know when we went to Canada in the school summer holidays prices were actually fairly static - went up a bit about 3-4 months in advance and only went down about 2 weeks before travelling, which is far too risky for me.

We flew Air transat to Canada as they were the cheapest and I found them absolutely fine, but they changed flight times on our friends and they ended up going with KLM who they also said were very good.

I always book things directly and if it's a road trip with multiple stops, then where possible I use booking.com for the accommodation so it's all listed in the same place and is cancellable if required.

3Eggses Mon 19-Sep-16 16:57:41

Book as early as you can for peak time travel and book everything direct. There's no need to use agents for anything really these days.

I do use hotels.com to book accommodation when I can but only because they offer a free night for every ten.

rookiemere Mon 19-Sep-16 17:47:15

Actually thinking about it I also use www.skyscanner.net to keep an eye on flight prices as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now