Flying advice

(6 Posts)
tapdancingmum Wed 31-Aug-16 22:47:28

Myself and DH are going to Morocco in a month and he has never flown before and the last time I flew I was about 12!! (a very very long time ago)

We are flying with Ryanair - do I really need to book and pay for seats before we go or can we just turn up on the morning and expect to be seated together.

We are taking hand luggage only and I am getting confused about what I can take with me. If sun cream counts as a liquid can I take more than one 100ml bottle with me? If so how many 100ml bottles fill the bag that you have to put them in?

Also, does anybody know if I can take my handheld GPSr on the plane with me. I could take the batteries out but would like it as am aiming to do some geocaching whilst out there.

I hope somebody can enlighten me a little. Thank you

NicknameUsed Thu 01-Sep-16 00:41:10

I think if it is vitally important that you both sit together on the plane I would pre-book seats. Most people do these days.

You can take more than one 100ml bottle of liquid, but I think it is restricted to 10 bottles. If you need a lot of suncream I would just buy some airside. You can't take a half empty 200ml bottle through - the bottles have to be 100ml max capacity. Bear in mind that toothpaste, lipsticks and gels all count as fluids for security purposes.

I don't think there are any restrictions on electronic gadgets, just make sure it is fully charged.

Enjoy your holiday.

Cedar03 Thu 01-Sep-16 11:50:33

You can buy toiletries once you are through security anyway, as there is normally a Boots through there (depending on the airport I guess). So you might want to just buy some things like suncream once in Departures.

Jams also count as a liquid - something to remember if buying souvenirs, to think about any foods that you might not think of as being a liquid.

I'd think that you'd probably want to sit together so I'd pre book the seats.

If you are flying from one of the bigger airports - Heathrow or Gatwick in particular - allow yourself plenty of time to get through security and also time to walk to the gate as some of them are a good 10 to 15 minute walk, so keep an eye on the departure board for the Gate number.

Janek Thu 01-Sep-16 16:34:28

If you are flying eith Ryanair you need to check-in online before you travel. Check-in opens 7 days before the flight and if you check in at the first available opportunity I would be very surprised if you weren't seated together.

Checking in for the return flight could be problematic, unless you are going for less than seven days, as you will be away when checkin opens. I think there may be an app you can use though, so your boarding card is on your phone rather than a piece of paper.

specialsubject Thu 01-Sep-16 17:40:39

it isn't liquid - it is liquid, gel and paste that are the restricted items.

all toiletries, slap etc etc. So get the right sized bag and put containers of no more than 100ml in it. Advice on the airport website.

you can buy toiletries at a premium price once you are through security, but as it is dull to go shopping on holiday, get a big bottle of suncream at the airport Boots or whatever. 100ml will not be enough!

SwedishEdith Mon 05-Sep-16 09:25:10

We were able to check-in for return flight as well before recent 2-week trip. I'd print off the boarding passes as well in case any problem with your phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now