What products can I buy to help me sleep on a plane?

(33 Posts)
rookiemere Tue 30-Aug-16 20:49:32

So am flying solo to US in a few weeks for relatives wedding. After a week's childcare I'm not sure DH will appreciate me coming back with horrible jet lag, but I just don't sleep well on planes.

I've been on amazon and they have some weirdy looking neck pillows that apparently help you sleep better so I was seriously thinking of getting one of those - not the normal wedge ones, these ones look more like neck braces.

Anything else that would help - already have eye mask and ear plugs?

RitaConnors Tue 30-Aug-16 20:52:08

Noise cancelling headphones that go over your ears make a difference. You can put on some relaxing music. And blue Nytol is effective.

rookiemere Tue 30-Aug-16 21:01:08

I'll definitely give the Blue Nytol a go. I use Boots wax earplugs and they seem to be pretty good at blocking noise. The bit I find really hard is getting a comfy position to sleep in, I keep jerking myself awake.

CorporeSarnie Tue 30-Aug-16 21:05:17

A squidgy neck pillow is good, much better than the airline ones, and they often have them in pound land/home bargains, especially if you don't mind a Disney themed one. Noise cancelling headphones both give you the opportunity to actually hear movie dialogue and knock out some of the drone of the engines, much better than earplugs, and diphenhydramine is good. Set your watch for your destination when you get on the plane, and I always like to have a glass of wine with the meal, but maybe not if you're also having nytol.

FruitCider Tue 30-Aug-16 21:07:42

Promethazine aka sominex sleeping tablets work a treat!

Kriek Tue 30-Aug-16 21:07:47

Get some melatonin from a pharmacy there. You will suffer less from jet lag when you use it. I always use it long haul.

MissWimpyDimple Tue 30-Aug-16 21:09:41

I have a funny shaped J pillow which was great on a recent very long flight.

BennyTheBall Tue 30-Aug-16 21:12:28

Tylenol PM is good.

I took 2 on an overnight flight back from US this month. I find it nigh on impossible to sleep on planes, but after 2 big glasses of wine and 2 Tylenol, eye shade and ear plugs - I got about 6 hours.

SardineJam Tue 30-Aug-16 21:14:02

Buy an app 😉 Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson never fails to help me fall asleep no matter the setting! Just make sure your phone is charged and you have headphones! Once downloaded no internet access is required.

NotAnotherHarlot Tue 30-Aug-16 21:14:15

Blanket. It's cold. Thick fluffy socks. Clean ones over baby wiped feet. Shoes off. Comfy clothes. Layers. Long vest/top stops riding up when getting comfy. I like ear plugs. Neck pillows are good, try them various ways round depending on what works for you. I like a window seat so I can lean against it.

CMOTDibbler Tue 30-Aug-16 21:14:26

These are the best earplugs I've ever found for use on planes.
I like to be warm to sleep, so fluffy socks and a pashmina to wrap around my upper body and neck. Eat a nice carb heavy meal in the terminal, get on plane, and snuggle down right after take off. And then concentrate on going to sleep.
I do take some paracetamol before boarding as well to help with the aches and pains of sitting still

SardineJam Tue 30-Aug-16 21:16:19

YY on the socks! I also find my feet swell on flights so don't wear tight shoes!

rookiemere Tue 30-Aug-16 21:22:46

Some great suggestions, please keep them coming thank you.
I have already got some melatonin but i tend to use it when i get back rather than on the plane so i could dig them out.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Tue 30-Aug-16 21:23:15

Get some NyQuil zzzzz in America for the flight back.

MorrisZapp Tue 30-Aug-16 21:25:47

Ask the oldest doctor in your practice for temazepam.

MorrisZapp Tue 30-Aug-16 21:26:38

Ps she's going to the US! Every meal will be carb heavy smile

twilightcafe Tue 30-Aug-16 21:29:13

YY to Tylenol PM. Two of these will knock you out.

Caipora Tue 30-Aug-16 21:29:41

A bottle of Whiskey and when you get back you can use the empty bottle to knock some sense into your precious ickle DH. Why is he not going to let you sleep off your jetlag? Is he really so hopeless that he will need you to get off a flight and take over straight away? hmm

NotAnotherHarlot Tue 30-Aug-16 21:29:42

Putting your feet up on your carry on bag is also helpful. I tend to wear headphones on top of earplugs, discourages anyone from talking to you. Anti-social solo flyer me grin. I'm quite often out for the count before the plane is in the air.

rookiemere Tue 30-Aug-16 22:16:58

Caipora DH is a nice person and I am sure he will be fine but I am conscious that Im leaving him too it for a week so Id like yo be fighting fit asap.
Don't like whisky grin

Caipora Tue 30-Aug-16 22:20:52

Gin then wink

thatsn0tmyname Tue 30-Aug-16 22:21:29

Another vote for alcohol

NataliaOsipova Tue 30-Aug-16 22:22:47

...and another! G&T and then a couple of mini wines with dinner.

christmasmum Wed 31-Aug-16 14:48:49

I got one of those neck pillows that looks like a neck brace. Still didn't sleep but it was quite comfy and I can imagine some (normal) people would sleep well with it!

rookiemere Wed 31-Aug-16 17:41:09

Thanks christamsmum - suspect I would be exactly the same as you !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now