Buggy bassinet and flying

(13 Posts)
Thenadish Tue 23-Aug-16 22:10:10

Appreciate views on this please from those who have travelled with a newborn/ young baby.

Our buggy (uppababy cruz) consists of a frame with a bassinet until baby is 6 months ish which you swap to a seat beyond that. So far pretty standard.

We are going away and airline says collapsible buggy is fine to take but the carrycot bit/ bassinet doesn't completely fold flat. The hood goes down and the bottom squashes up a bit. Is this ok? If not what have others done? We need to take it with as baby is only a few weeks and also it will double as our travel cot.

Thanks in advance! X

welshweasel Tue 23-Aug-16 22:13:23

Yes that's fine, a two piece pram counts as one item so you could also take a car seat if needed.

Longdistance Tue 23-Aug-16 22:14:58

I've taken a double buggy with carry cot etc, when flying and shoved it in the hold.

I ordered a bassinet with them for on the flight over and return, so got a bulk head seat.

welshweasel Tue 23-Aug-16 22:15:44

Just be warned that some airports will completely trash your pram though, and your travel insurance will not cover you for it. The airline may give some compensation but not much. If you must take it then make sure you put it in a bag (you can buy them off amazon) or do what we do now (lesson learnt the hard way) and take a cheapy pushchair suitable from birth, we got ours from Aldi for £23.

welshweasel Tue 23-Aug-16 22:17:36

Oh and take a sling with you if you're flying into a big airport as you won't get your pram back until the luggage collection and it can be a long walk and wait in security.

Sweetpotatoaddict Tue 23-Aug-16 22:18:36

Flown with easyjet with uppababy vista put the the carrycot in its bag, had a car seat as well and no issue at all.

joliepapillon Tue 23-Aug-16 22:20:15

We took our uppababy cruz with a bassinet on the plane and we folded the bassinet up (May have taken the mattress out but can't remember as was over 2 years ago) and put it in a suit holder bag thingy. The airline could attach the baggage label to the suit bag. The suit bag was then put in the hold with the base.

It was fine like that.

JassyRadlett Tue 23-Aug-16 22:22:15

Who are you flying with? Our pushchairs have always fared better when we check them at the gate, and get them back at the gate on landing.

welshweasel Tue 23-Aug-16 22:24:23

I've always checked it at the gate but never got it back until baggage hall. That's with 3 different airlines. Would be so much better to get it back at the gate but despite asking every time it never happens!

JassyRadlett Tue 23-Aug-16 22:29:52

Welsh, we've had great experiences with Singapore, and BA but only into Heathrow.

AppleMagic Tue 23-Aug-16 22:32:34

I think it mainly depends on the airport not the airline.

Thenadish Wed 24-Aug-16 01:24:37

Ah thank you. We are with BA going in and out of Gatwick. So it doesn't count as extra it's part of your pushchair allowance of its checked at the gate? That's good to know. Defo using the sling! Thank you! Also good point about it getting trashed. When you mention suit bag is that the bag it comes with or literally a suit bag? I'll have a look for protection on Amazon. Thank you thank you!

joliepapillon Wed 24-Aug-16 22:23:35

Yes literally a suit bag! Was a last minute solution as I hadn't thought about it until the day before we were leaving and it worked fine. Although the proper bag would possibly be more suitable grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now