Air b&b feedback

(15 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Wed 17-Aug-16 20:38:01

Used air b&b a bit now - some smazing , some OK.

Where we are now is like museum , and not on a particularly good way.

We have stayed in lots of places on France. We expect a degree of quirkiness. Bare wires in the bathroom being normal and interesting room layouts.

This one takes the prize though. It said 2 rooms and there are two rooms. A living room with a TVs sofa and double bed , and a dining room with dining table chairs and 2 put you up beds and a cot !

The kitchen is antique. The oven is broken , the fridge works but is out of the ark and bits are broken. Equipment old and minimal.

Bedding clean but threadbare. Beds actually they'll do though ancient.

It is what it is and the fact there are no reviews is acincern ( issue airs b&b don't post your review if the host doesn't review you ?) and we'll make the most of it - with wine and eating out we can do 5 days , but I think it's fair people know what they are getting.

Ca hosts avoid reviews like this ?

Wonderlust123 Wed 17-Aug-16 21:28:59

I stayed in two airbnb places in France during July. One was lovely, as we're the hosts. I gave them a glowing review, and they did likewise for me.

The second place however was quite similar to what you described. Waited outside it for 20 mins before the guy finally arrived. Was basic, felt old and dirty. Also, used the washing machine which ended up soaking all our clothes without even cleaning them. And the photos of the apartment were deceptive.

The bed was a fold away one (again, unclear from photos and info). When we tried to fold it away the day we were leaving it was tricky to do. I found a screw on the floor after, but considering it wasn't a particular clean and tidy place to begin with, I didn't think any more of it.

Anyway, left the keys in the postbox (guy didn't even meet us again), and later received a barrage of angry messages about how we'd broken his bed. (If there was anything wrong with it, it would just have been that the screw had coke out of somewhere).

So, that all made me think we twice about giving him a negative review, because I didn't want a negative one back on my (fairly new) profile.

Though after seeing your message, I might actually right up my review tomorrow.

Excuse the essay!

Helenluvsrob Thu 18-Aug-16 09:30:12

I'm taking photos as I go! So far we've swept the warderobe before putting clothes on and found a place for 4 has 2 mugs and 2 teacups !

Helenluvsrob Thu 18-Aug-16 09:32:45

Though view from the breakfast table is stunning !

trafalgargal Thu 18-Aug-16 09:36:26

I'd review using words like quaint and describe stepping back in time , simple , there's a whole language of subtext in Airbnb reviews

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 18-Aug-16 09:40:08

Air BnB is very different from how it was 10 years ago. I think any complaints or bad reviews are done off site a bit like eBay so you don't get a true picture of what the place is like.

I stayed in a hovel last year, seriously filthy and you'd have thought from the reviews it was perfect. Halloween cobwebs,no light bulbs bathroom hadn't been cleaned ever,blood in the sheets etc!

We chalked it up to experience but wouldn't use Air BnB again because it reflects badly on you if you complain.

situatedknowledge Thu 18-Aug-16 09:41:55

I've been wondering about this. We've used it 3 times now, and they have all been wonderful. All 3 reviews posted. However next week we are off to a really expensive one, with only a few reviews published but scant availability. The owner has changed the dates at short notice, and added a comment on the description about never answering the door. He has also said he is out of the country with visa problems. I'm worried he is going to disappear, and we will lose out on our dream holiday. I can't see how we can warn others if it happens, or be sure to get a) our money back b)somewhere else to stay if we land in a tourist city mid summer. confusedsad We want it a lot though, so are currently crossing fingers and putting our fingers in our ears a bit. grin

Mov1ngOn Thu 18-Aug-16 09:43:29

Eeek thats putting us off trying air bnb. I thought it was a bit like trip advisor in that you could look at the reviews/photos etc

Id hate to risk a holiday staying somewhere dirty sad

Pigeonpost Thu 18-Aug-16 09:44:06

I'm a bit wary of places with no reviews. As an Airbnb host I would advise leaving an honest but polite review. The host won't see your review until you see his so there can be no tit for tat. Airbnb only works if people are honest. You could probably leave some of the more detailed criticism for the private feedback section but I think it's important to say in the public review how things are not as described/ pictured.

Pigeonpost Thu 18-Aug-16 09:46:44

PS Airbnb do post your review if the other party doesn't review. They wait 14 days to give them chance to do it but it always gets posted. The party who didn't review then can't anyway if past the 14 day deadline. It's a good system.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 18-Aug-16 09:46:51

I really wouldn't use them for a big holiday after our experience.

It was really weird,the place was really nicely kitted out so the photos were great but the filth was unbelievable. And the crack in the bath meant we couldn't stand in it as it was so bad we were afraid we'd fall through! It had been up and running for 3 years and I don't think it has been cleaned in that entire time!!

Helenluvsrob Thu 18-Aug-16 12:28:15

Thanks all. I'm sure I can put a suitably coded review and explain that 2 rooms means that is all there are - That there is no " living area " as such at all.

I keep taking photos of everything we might get accused of breaking that are already broken too !

Quite liking having a bed in the living room. Getting more cuddles with the 17yr old tha. At home smile

petitpois55 Sun 21-Aug-16 11:38:42

We used airbnb in copenhagen for the first time this year. The apartment was great, and was exactly as described. I'm thinking of using them for our summer holiday next year.
I've actually stayed in two other airbnb properties booked by friends who use them all the time.
I'm put off by having to pay straight away though. I love that you can cancel with booking.com, and rebook something if it's more suitable nearer the time.

mummymeister Sun 21-Aug-16 12:45:13

The original aims of the airbandb site no longer really reflect what they actually are. they are now just an advertising portal for accommodation like all the others - homeaway, owners abroad etc.

I would seriously get on to airbandb because if it isn't clear in the blurb then this is not truthful advertising and they should be taking all reasonable steps to ensure that things are as advertised.

we used to use them but to be honest there isn't any real advantage these days. I also wonder how some of these places get away with not providing standard fire protection etc which other rentals and hotels have to.

Helenluvsrob Wed 14-Sep-16 07:19:41

Update in case anyone wonders.

Applied for refund of cleaning charges and got it! So £66 back. That was nice. Not sure it's tempted me back yet but will see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now