Liquids procedures as observed at Birmingham today !

(14 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Wed 17-Aug-16 09:42:03

Bloody useless rules !

Lady in front produced a " legal" wet bag and popped it in her tray. Then put another in ! The security chap said " how many people travelling ? Just one ?" She said yes, he shrugged and passed it through.

Also security lady trying to find the owner of a huge wet bag ( large sandwich bag) size saying " checks done please collect this "

Annoyed as we were here last week and were clearly told that even my single use lenses had to definite be in the wet bag !

Btw took wet wipes not in bag and no problems

Kirriemuir Wed 17-Aug-16 20:53:58

What's a wet bag?

Helenluvsrob Wed 17-Aug-16 21:10:17

Sorry I mean the sealable ok attic bh you put wet things in !

Hassled Wed 17-Aug-16 21:13:01

But I don't think there's a limit on how much you can take, as long as there's not more than 100ml of a thing. No reason why you can't have multiple bags of 100 ml containers.

mannekenpis Wed 17-Aug-16 21:17:06

I recently rammed all my stuff into 1 bag at a UK airport and then noticed that noone paid any attention, so on the return I split the stuff between 2 bags. Could have squeezed it all into 1 (well maybe would have given some to DH) but I don't think it really matters so long as all the individual containers are under 100ml.

Hersetta427 Thu 18-Aug-16 10:02:39

Wet wipes don't need to be in a liquid bag. I must have flown 50 times since the rules were introduced - always with wet wipes and have never once been told they should have been in with liquids.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 19-Aug-16 10:09:17

You are only allowed one plastic bag, max size about one litre or 20 cm x 20 cm square, per person.

They shouldn't have let more than one through if they are following the rules.

When coming back from Spain a few weeks ago, DP ended up with both our bags in his tray, and they never said a word, even though strictly, he should have only had one bag. We weren't obviously together because someone had pushed between us in the security queue.

Maybe they are starting to relax this ridiculous and pointless rule, which could easily be got round by groups of terrorists if they were determined to do so.

venusinscorpio Fri 19-Aug-16 10:17:05

Hassled, there is a limit of one sealable plastic bag which holds no more than a litre per person. It doesn't always get adhered to, but that's the rule.

venusinscorpio Fri 19-Aug-16 10:20:21

I never put wet wipes in it and have never had a problem, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they threw them away, so happy to risk that and have more space in the liquids bag.

venusinscorpio Fri 19-Aug-16 10:21:52

I find in general flying home from Spain, Greece etc they aren't as bothered.

dementedpixie Fri 19-Aug-16 10:26:28

Wipes don't need to be in the bag and I have never heard it called a wet bag. It's supposed to be one clear resealable bag per person max size 20x20cm with liquids/gels/pastes in containers of 100mls or less. A bit pointless if they don't enforce it everywhere though.

midcenturymodern Fri 19-Aug-16 10:29:46

I flew last week and they said 1 litre per person in up to 100ml containers but didn't specify the size of bag, which they definitely did the lat time I flew out of that airport 2 years ago.

MadisonAvenue Fri 19-Aug-16 10:31:59

I always thought it was one bag per person and have always stuck to this, although my husband doesn't carry much in the way of toiletries in his hand luggage so he takes some of my make up hoard.
I asked, not long after the rules came in, about wet wipes and was told that there was no need for them to go in bags. Even if there's a problem and they're confiscated there's always a Boots airside to buy a replacement pack.

cardboardPeony Fri 19-Aug-16 22:44:08

I didn't even know it was one bag per person. I flew a few weeks ago and my stuff was in a clear a4 filing pouch, also didn't know you needed a special bag! No one said anything

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now