Can I take a cool bag of quorn products in hand luggage?

(38 Posts)
tactum Tue 16-Aug-16 17:04:03

Wierd question i know! Going to Portugal, all veggie, fussy eating kids. Am I able to take a fabric cool bag with quorn products and ice packs on as a piece of hand luggage do you know?
Are there any restrictions on fresh foods?
Would be useful as obviously won't be able to get any out there!

Anyone know?..... thanks in advance

specialsubject Tue 16-Aug-16 17:47:18

No liquids, gels or pastes above the limits.

If they are veggies wont they eat lovely vegetables such as you get in europe?

tactum Tue 16-Aug-16 17:54:52

You'd think wouldn't you??!! But having some basic quorn would make things a lot easier.

Quorn itself is a solid. I suppose the risky thing would be the ice packs but if they took them away that wouldn't be the end of the world. Do you think that would work?

MsWorthington Tue 16-Aug-16 17:56:13

They will take the ice packs, they contain liquid. If you're taking hold luggage just pack the Quorn in there with ice packs, well wrapped up, and it'll be fine.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 16-Aug-16 18:02:45

Why is it obvious that you can't buy that sort of stuff there? Genuine question, I've never tried to buy Quorn or similar abroad.

I wouldn't bother with faffing around taking fresh food over. They'll find something acceptable on most menus surely, even if it's just omelette.

Jaimx86 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:07:03

I took a full bottle of water through security (again) last week. I was so worried about getting caught with 11 liquid make up items instead of 10 that I forgot about my water. They also let me take my breakfast through that is forgotten to eat on the way, so you can definitely take food.

eurochick Tue 16-Aug-16 18:07:45

The ice packs will definitely go unless they are less than 100mls and in an appropriate sized liquids bag.

eurochick Tue 16-Aug-16 18:08:26

Solid food is fine. I often travel with lunch or a snack.

tactum Tue 16-Aug-16 18:08:56

You just can't, trust me. You really can't - the concept of vegetarianism is pretty scarcely understood, and the concept of substituting even more so. We're self catering and as I said the kids are fussy, so for the sake of making things easier all round on what I want to be a relaxing holiday I am more than happy to pack some quorn.

Thanks for advice, I'll wrap some quorn in plastic bags with ice packs in the main luggage. That would seem to be ok, yes?

Artandco Tue 16-Aug-16 18:11:48

I wouldn't bother there a loads of options in Portugal. You can buy lentils, various beans, etc etc very easily. Fruits, salads, cheeses etc. Just don't worry about everything being as fully nutritious for one week. It's they live off tomato pasta and watermelon they will survive.

exexpat Tue 16-Aug-16 18:13:33

Quorn is just a British thing, but I've been finding more and more veggie foods in European supermarkets in recent years. I haven't been to Portugal for a while, but I've found tofu, tempeh, veggie burgers and similar in French and Italian supermarkets - however, although they are fine for me, they would probably have been rejected by my fussy-eating vegetarian children when they were younger, as they are not identical to what they eat at home...

I'd go for the check-in baggage option, or if that's not possible, try to get mini-icepacks and separate them out for security.

MsWorthington Tue 16-Aug-16 18:32:16

I'm sure it'll be fine in hold luggage. Meat, dairy and fresh fruit and veg can be an issue depending on the country, but as Quorn is weird, alien fungi highly processed stuff (I'm quite partial to it, but it is odd) I can't see it being an issue.

And all those people talking about the lovely fresh food the children can eat there have clearly never had a fussy eater child. Children won't starve themselves/ can live off pasta and sauce all week? No and no, in my experience.

specialsubject Tue 16-Aug-16 18:52:33

True, although what a shame - access to veg that taste ( can t buy that in the ) and preference for nasty tasteless processed muck.

Still, if they were rational they wouldnt be kids. Hope you can get some decent food, op!

Kirriemuir Tue 16-Aug-16 19:24:46

The ice packs will be taken off you. Try it in the case all packed up well.

BikeRunSki Tue 16-Aug-16 19:32:47

Ice packs will be taken off you. Believe me, I've tried.

I'm also veggie, and manage ok in Europe, lots of cheese, lentils, eggs, beans, salads....

Could you take some dried soya mince, Beanfeast, Sosmix type stuff instead of Quorn?

Vvlgari Tue 16-Aug-16 19:39:01

I've never found Quorn in French or Italian supermarkets though ones in cities may be different.

I doubt you'd be able to take it in hand luggage, though you might get away with it in hold baggage.

tactum Tue 16-Aug-16 20:24:07

I have obviously already tried all the suggested foods at home as a responsible vegetarian parent - being in the sunshine won't magically turn them into beings keen to devour rejected foods. Just trying to make the holiday as relaxing as possible for all of us!

Thanks to everyone for the practical advice and Mrs Worthington for empathy!

Justtrying Tue 16-Aug-16 21:19:28

Pack in with ice packs in your hold luggage, I'm flight crew and can't even take ice packs, yogurts, hummus etc in my packed breakfast/lunch/ dinner. Not to mention toiletries or contact lens solution.

Anything resembling a liquid, gel or paste will be taken off you.

Anything under 100ml can be packed in your hand luggage in a small, 1l capacity, 20cm X 20cm sealable plastic bag, no a clear zip wash bag isn't accepted, even if the same size.

Your pastic bag must be sealed and hole free.

I am subject to the same rules numerous times a day, everyone has a job to do, it is frustrating but rules are rules.

A1Sharon Wed 17-Aug-16 10:06:58

Special that is a very snide remark. Totally uncalled for.
I'm veggie, and I eat plenty of fresh veg/lentils/grains/pulses etc.
But occasionally I will have a quern burger/sausage, or use the mince in a chilli.
I also do bean chilli etc, but sometimes I use Quorn. So what? Get off your high horse.

A1Sharon Wed 17-Aug-16 10:08:23

Also, OP, meant to say check if there is a store that sells UK goods, they might have one near the airport. Ive discovered that there is one in Palma, and I will stop there on my way to Pollensa next time, TO GET SOME QUORN!!!wink

Shannaratiger Thu 18-Aug-16 20:19:31

Sorry to hijack thread but we're thinking of going to Majorca next summer. I'm alergic to wheat and dairy. Can i assume I won't be able to bring a carton of Alpro Soya milk or Nairn gluten free oat cakes?
Or do you think I'll be able to buy it over there?

BikeRunSki Thu 18-Aug-16 20:36:36

Soya milk should be OK in hold luggage, and I don't see a problem with oat cakes.

A1Sharon Fri 19-Aug-16 09:33:16

Shannaratiger just pop them in your hold luggage, should be fine. I think it is meat products you can't take.
And I think that there was gluten free section in the supermarket? I'm sure I saw Alpro there too.

Misty9 Fri 19-Aug-16 13:01:37

I'm gluten free and was fine in supermarkets in majorca - once you find the section there's quite a bit iirc. Or check pharmacies as European countries often have free from food in those. Schar is a European brand and easily available smile

Misty9 Fri 19-Aug-16 13:03:29

To add, coeliac disease is common in Spain and they're pretty set up for it, so most sausages etc are gf. It was great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now