kids on long car journeys and/or rainy days in a cottage

(15 Posts)
yoink Mon 15-Aug-16 16:48:55

I'm sure this has been done to death, but has anyone got any tips for keeping kids entertained on long car journeys or for when it inevitably rains on our UK holiday?

Any great games you've found, or puzzle books or whatever you'd recommend?

We've got a pack of cards but I can predict whining for the playstation...

Ilovewillow Mon 15-Aug-16 17:01:49

I keep a box in the car at all times of:
Colouring books
Pens
Glue
Scissors
Cards
Stickers
Small board games
Bubbles
Plasticine
Watercolours

It's seen us through several weeks camping and various journeys!

Try Tiger for games and supplies and inspiration! My children are 8 and 3!

Sleeperandthespindle Mon 15-Aug-16 17:06:30

How old are they? We have been listening to audio books this year on journeys - an absolute godsend.

Orchard Games for under 5s
Gameswright games for 5+

yoink Mon 15-Aug-16 17:11:25

blimey, you do messy play on holiday?! <faints>

Maybe I could stretch to plasticine...

Kids are aged 4 to 11. I'm wondering in particular what little treats I can get for the older ones who have outgrown stickers.

I'll have a look at all of those, thank you!

eyebrowsonfleek Mon 15-Aug-16 17:18:27

You've had some advice for younger kids for the older ones...
Download some YouTube videos?
Have a Lego man or other figures handy?
Music
Audio Books
Car games

yoink Mon 15-Aug-16 17:27:37

audio books is a great idea. any recommendations for family books that we could all enjoy in the car?

Roygrace Mon 15-Aug-16 17:32:45

Have you seen the map game

lizardpoint.com/geography/

We all got addicted to this and learnt something too!

We all done musicallys (sp) and judged X factor style.

Loads of films

Dark night ghost story on audible (kids one obviously) light off under blankets

We also done a midnight walk (9pm ish or whenever dark) with flashlights made it spooky and fun.

We done a talent show practiced all day in secret and had prizes

Depends what you all like doing

In the car we do three and why, so top three favourite memory and why, fav food, fav country etc goes on and on and you find out things you never knew!

yoink Mon 15-Aug-16 17:36:55

some lovely ideas there Roy, thank you

yoink Mon 15-Aug-16 17:45:25

blummin eck, that map game is my new favourite website! Sod holiday planning!

Sleeperandthespindle Mon 15-Aug-16 18:17:01

Harry Potter read by Stephen Fry for us.

eyebrowsonfleek Mon 15-Aug-16 21:27:00

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy read by Stephen Fry used to send the kids off to a gentle slumber when they were young.

FabFiveFreddie Mon 15-Aug-16 21:50:09

Great ideas Roy!

daisydalrymple Mon 15-Aug-16 21:55:19

For the older ones, if they like traditional board games such as cluedo, monopoly, battleships, trivial pursuit, subbuteo, guess who etc. There are mini card versions, which come in a box about double the size of a pack of cards. Check amazon for Shuffle card game and a variety should come up (there's also another series I've never worked out if they're the same...)

OldLagNewName Wed 17-Aug-16 18:52:23

For audio books, would (original) Winnie The Pooh work? Older kids (and adults) might enjoy the humour that goes over little kids' heads. Joyce Grenfell nursery sketches?

Favourite magazine for the older ones?

We also play ' The Vicar's Cat's and 'Who Am I?' a lot.

PandasRock Wed 17-Aug-16 19:01:16

Easy quick games work for us: eye found it card version travels well, and can be done anywhere. Whot is easier than Uno for little ones.

Given your age range, are your older ones ok with doing things at little ones level for a bit? It can be surprising how much everyone enjoys 'what's the time mr wolf?' for 20 minutes or so (mine vary it for any film character they all know, and then have to match up what 'time' it is to the character - eg 'what's the time Elastagirl?' ends with 'Stretchy time!', 'what's the time, Elsa' ends with 'freezing time!' etc).

Lego! We always pack either some mixels kits to make, or we have the Lego juniors suitcase sets, and so I chuck a random assortment of bricks in the suitcase to take along.

Scrapbooking? I have the Polaroid pogo printer, and so we can while away an afternoon (or a wait for food in a restaurant) writing holiday journals and drawing pictures/printing photos to stick in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now