Recommendations for South Africa

(6 Posts)
AJC82 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:20:40

We are travelling to South Africa in November for a wedding with our 2 year old and 1 year old. The holiday will be two weeks, with the wedding in the middle, so we thinking a few days in Cape Town, a few days in Stellenbosch (for the wedding) and maybe something else. We would like to find some baby-friendly hotels/self-catering apartments or houses that might be suitable, and are also looking for childcare of some description, perhaps a nanny for a few mornings / afternoons / evenings so we can do some adult activities and to look after the littles ones during the wedding.

Has anyone been to South Africa and done anything similar that they can recommend us? We would really appreciate any suggestions of agencies that people have used or any travel tips.

Thanks in advance.

villainousbroodmare Sat 13-Aug-16 22:23:56

I think it is still the case that children entering SA are required to have their full unabridged original birth certificate with them. This is apparently supposed to prevent child trafficking. SA is the only country in the world insisting on this, and it has caused havoc for hundreds if not thousands of people. So check that out for a start!

Volatile Sat 13-Aug-16 22:36:55

We didn't take birth certificates for ours in 2007, never heard of that.

Can't advise really, but we went with 2 under 2 and a 4 year old and had a fantastic time. Car hire was expensive, but fine and essential. Like you, we went for a wedding. Hired a small house in Constantia (CT) for a week, then a few days at the wedding nature reserve, near Paarl, then we went to Addo to see some elephants, and back along Garden Route, staying at a farm along the way, friends of friends. Then last few days staying with the married couple. We stayed at a great B&B near Addo that did kids tea then when kids in bed did adult meal, really nicely in a restaurant style and quality... but they would delay till kids were settled if necessary. Constantia was stuffed full of places to rent - I understand they were formerly staff quarters. We visited Franshoek too, which was fabulous. Lots of wine tasting!

This may not be an issue for you, but we had the 2 little ones in washable nappies, and this was more of an issue than we imagined. Laundry service did not manage to clean them properly (I don't know how, our ordinary machine at home did fine, but there they stank of wee still), normal laundromat were offended at them and B&B laundry were clearly bemused too. It was like they'd never heard of such a thing.

Enjoy!

Rafflesway Mon 15-Aug-16 17:27:59

If you are staying in Stellenbosch then definitely visit Franschoek which is only a few miles away but stunningly beautiful.

Also, if you have a car, I would certainly recommend a night in Hermanus - if I recall I believe it took us around 1.5 hours to drive between Hermanus and Franschoek. The whale watching just from the shore is amazing at that time of year!

South Africa is stunning and the people are lovely! smile

Rafflesway Mon 15-Aug-16 17:30:00

Franschhoek - sorry IPad kept changing the spelling!

Jen0836335908 Sat 17-Sep-16 21:32:09

Hi

I have found this book particularly helpful when I travelled to South Africa with my 9 month old. It also has information on what legal documents you need as they have changed their laws recently on what you need to have when flying in and out of the country with children. It also has handy tips on baby essentials and childcare options should you need them. www.amazon.co.uk/Travelling-South-Africa-Babies-Practical-ebook/dp/B01LZ57VI5/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473974364&sr=1-1&keywords=travelling+to+south+africa+with+babies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now