Heraklion, Crete - what to see and do?

(9 Posts)
FunnymalsOnPop Fri 12-Aug-16 07:11:02

We're going to Heraklion, Crete, and would love some tips for things to see and do. Our dc are 10 and nearly 6. Thanks!

reup Fri 12-Aug-16 07:12:24

Knossos and the linked museum (it's a joint ticket I think).

NicknameUsed Fri 12-Aug-16 07:13:34

As well as Knossos I would do a trip to Spinalonga and the Lassithi plateau.

FunnymalsOnPop Fri 12-Aug-16 14:03:32

Thanks for these suggestions. We're thinking of hiring a car for a couple of days - anyone done that? Any tips on what to do or NOT do?

leccybill Fri 12-Aug-16 14:05:48

Apparently Elafonisi is lovely.

We're in Crete now, near Chania, and it's baking hot. 38° and no breeze. I'd leave the ruins until later in the day.

reup Fri 12-Aug-16 15:13:37

We stayed near Reithymon and had a car. It was nice driving over the mountains to the south side of the island - the sea was calmer there too.

ginghambox Fri 12-Aug-16 15:34:47

We go to Crete at least twice a year love the place.
Elafanosi is stunning but is over 200km from Heraklion so about a 3-4 hour drive.
Knossos is very busy and a bit meh (in my opinion). We prefered Apetra.
Yes to Spinalonga and Lassithi, Samaria gorge is amazing but a very long day and quite a hard walk.
If you avoid the strip Malia old town is very nice with some great resteraunts.

ginghambox Fri 12-Aug-16 15:38:26

*restaurants

FunnymalsOnPop Wed 24-Aug-16 09:18:00

Thanks for this. We are in Heronissis, so reasonably close to both Knossos and Spinalonga. Anyone done an excursion to either of these places, or is hiring a car the best way to go? Loving the sun, and the food!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now