Getting a child's passport when parents don't have one?

(6 Posts)
hugoagogo Sat 06-Aug-16 18:28:27

I am trying to apply for ds's first passport and it seems to say I have to give further proof of nationality as neither dh or I had passports when she was born.
Am I reading that right? all of us were born in the uk and have always lived here, it's not as if we weren't elligible, we were just poor and had no intention of traveling abroad.
I have emailed the passport office for further clarification, but in the meantime I hope someone here can reassure me I don't have to call my non-contact dd and ask for his flipping passport!

Skittlesss Mon 08-Aug-16 09:29:26

I've just got passports for my children and as far as i remember it didn't say passport when they were born, just asked for your passport details. I don't see why it matters if you have one now.

PotteringAlong Mon 08-Aug-16 09:31:39

Surely your birth certificate will be proof of nationality?

DeathMetalMum Mon 08-Aug-16 09:36:02

Birth certificate will suffice. Neither of my parents had a passport when I applied for my first one, pretty certain I just sent off their birth certificates as proof.

BaronessEllaSaturday Mon 08-Aug-16 09:40:44

You may have been born in the UK but depending when you or your DH were born you may need to provide further proof on right to citizenship. Prior to 1st January 1983 you got automatic citizenship by being born here after that date it relied on your parents being citizens.

Have you been requested further information from the passport office or is it just looking at the list of details you need to send. When I did the application online for my dd it gave me a full list of things to send in with her application including things like my parents birth certificates and marriage certificate, it wasn't needed though all I did have to send was her birth certificate. I didn't have a valid passport when my dd was born but I did when I applied for hers.

hugoagogo Mon 08-Aug-16 23:01:46

I have had a reply and because dh and I were both born in the UK before. 1982 it should be ok. Phewee!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now