Car hire abroad - hidden charges.

(4 Posts)
HexBramble Tue 02-Aug-16 08:40:43

I've not met anyone with straightforward car hire. I've not met any 'open and friendly' car hire employees to be honest. I travel in a family of 6 and we 've resorted to driving to Europe in our own vehicle before now but this year, we are again at the mercy of car rentals and hidden charges.

In the past, I have twice tried to hire the likes of a Touran/Zafira which are technically 5+2 seated cars. The +2 being seats that fold down in place of where the luggage space would be. Both times, we've been presented with a 5 seater which then ensues lots of discussion and extra charges and "you should have booked a larger vehicle" comments. Well, I thought I did book a larger vehicle hence I paid for a 5+2 instead of a 5 seater. So, we end up paying more at the desk and waiting ages for it to be sorted. It doesn't matter how pleasant I am, the people at the desk are horrid ( lots of comments being passed to colleagues in their mother-tongue).

So, this year, I've not gone for the 5+2, I have opted for a 7 seater car ("Ford Galaxy or similar"). It has costed more, but I have tried to avoid all this time and money wasting at the hire desk. But why is it that I have a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach, that we will be landed with the same nonsense? Why am I dreading the hidden charges? I'm hardly booking a cheap car for 4 people to keep down costs - I am actually booking a 7 seater thank you very much.

What more can I do? I'm a bundle of nerves already and I haven't even packed!

frenchfancy Tue 02-Aug-16 12:36:34

Why don't you ring up the car hire office and confirm with them that you have 7 seats? Car hire offices normally speak English.

ApocalypseSlough Tue 02-Aug-16 12:41:32

I know the feeling sad
I triple checked every aspect of my recent rental and still have a sinking feeling there's going to be hidden costs now I've taken it back. Didn't help that it was in this condition when I collected it. hmm

Creampastry Tue 02-Aug-16 16:22:32

I thought car hire company's in Europe hired out 5 seater cars OR 7 seater cars, and offer cars "such as" insert make/model, hence you couldn't be sure to get a 5+2 as a Zafira for example as it isn't guaranteed, just a 5 seater car. So if you need 7 seats then you have to get a 7 seater.

You should always check the car in collection and flag any marks. I sometimes video the car which is sad but a company tried blaming for me scratches once and I'm not going through that again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now