Annual travel insurance - telling them I'm ill before travel?

(4 Posts)
VagueButlmportant Sat 30-Jul-16 08:32:57

I took out an annual policy with Post Office back in March. I told them at the time I had well-controlled asthma.

I have now had a virus for 4 weeks that has caused my asthma to flare up massively. I've been to the dr 3 times, and have been prescribed oral steroids. The dose is due to run out tomorrow. I fly out to France on Tuesday.

I am a bit better now and hoping to be better again by Tuesday (if not I won't go) but if I get worse while I'm there, and need urgent medical treatment, I don't want my policy to be invalid.

Has anyone experienced this? Do I need to inform them before I go? Will they charge me a premium? Or will I be covered because I declared the asthma back in March?

I have an EHIC card but I'm not sure how much that will cover.

Grausse Sat 30-Jul-16 11:35:21

I think you know the answer. Tell them and pay up if they want to charge more. If you don't and end up needing hospital treatment they will not pay, why take the risk?

VagueButlmportant Sat 30-Jul-16 12:01:03

Yes you're right!

I'll ring on Monday morning. Just panicking!

TellAStory Sat 30-Jul-16 12:23:38

As long as the medical declaration you made when you took out the policy was accurate then there should be no problem. Phone them up to check though to be 100% sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now