Worrying myself silly over zika and Holiday

(11 Posts)
jinny121 Fri 29-Jul-16 19:45:08

Hello everyone!

I know it's probably my hormones but I am so worried about travelling to Gran Canaria soon because of the risk of zika! I have checked CDC websites and other official ones and no where in Europe has the virus and no advise. I plan on buying myself sun cream with insect repellent and after sun with the same. Should I be so worried about my babymoon?!?!

jinny121 Fri 29-Jul-16 19:45:59

I should also add that I will be 21 weeks pregnant when baby mooning.

Frazzled2207 Fri 29-Jul-16 19:48:52

Um why? There is no incidence in the canary islands I don't think. It's a very long way for the mozzies to fly.

jinny121 Fri 29-Jul-16 19:57:02

I know. I think I am literally worrying about everything. Thank you.

NathM Mon 01-Aug-16 22:14:34

Don't be worrying OP. Keep an eye on the travel advice but you will be grand. Gran canaria is amazing. Have a great holiday!grin

Utini Mon 01-Aug-16 22:23:23

I went to Gran Canaria a few weeks ago at 26 weeks pregnant. From what I'd read it seemed like one of the lower risk places.

Zika is transmitted by the aedes aegypti mosquito, but it is thought that a similar species, aedes albopictus, is also capable of carrying it. The first isn't found in Europe, the second is common along the Med. Canary islands don't have either species, so I don't think it's really any riskier there than in the UK.

RobberBride Mon 01-Aug-16 22:30:39

I'm TTC and recently went to Europe also worried. To make myself feel better, I wore 50% deet (safe when TTC or pg) and DH wore 100% deet, and we made sure we used protection til we could ensure that neither of us had been bitten. We blasted the hotel room with air con everytime we came in, and we avoided anywhere mosquitoes tend to hang out. We also had spf and aftersun with mossie repellant. We didn't look or smell very nice (deet smells awful), but neither of us got bitten.

jinny121 Tue 02-Aug-16 09:25:32

Thank you for all putting my mind at rest! I have brought sun lotion and after sun with the insect repellent in it and will probably pick up the deet as well! Just in case! smile

dementedpixie Tue 02-Aug-16 09:33:04

I don't think the ones with added repellent are as effective as using separates. I would buy proper repellent too

Voteforpedr0 Tue 02-Aug-16 09:33:52

It's now In Florida I read yesterday ? Not sure it's travelled as far as the Canaries as of yet.

mouldycheesefan Thu 04-Aug-16 08:10:54

Yabu to call a holiday a babymoon 🙄

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now