Dreading Holiday

(82 Posts)
onceinawhilethere Wed 27-Jul-16 12:37:19

Hubby has booked a holiday, I've been looking at the reviews that some of aren't very good, I'm secretly dreading it :/ What would / do you do if you turn up and it's awful?? Is there anything you can do??

foreverandalways Wed 27-Jul-16 12:38:52

Lucky you.....a husband that books a holiday for you...just be grateful.....thank him for booking it......I don't even know whether I still have a husband so just hold onto yours and enjoy the holiday!

onceinawhilethere Wed 27-Jul-16 12:44:10

Sorry you don't know if you still have a husband :/ I don't know your circumstances as you don't know mine so find your comment a little unhelpful... I'm trying to find out if we could change the hotel before we go or just wait and see what it's like when we get there if it's awful could you change hotels when you've arrived???

Drowzeee Wed 27-Jul-16 13:26:15

If its just 'some' of the reviews that are not good then I would go anyway. I've been on a couple of holidays where reviews weren't great but I really enjoyed them. Surely your DH checked reviews before booking?

What are the things that people are saying that make it sound awful?

Adarajames Wed 27-Jul-16 13:34:33

Are the majority of reviews bad, or just one or 2? You cant please everyone so would wxpect so e, but if majority are bad, then Id see if can change venue without great cost

onceinawhilethere Wed 27-Jul-16 16:25:31

It's quiet a few reviews saying its tired, old fashioned, charge €45 per week for air con and food is basic or terrible confusedHubby doesn't do reviews ( I now wish I didn't :/ ) I normally book them but was just to busy at the time, serves me right I guess blush I know I sound like a spoiled brat as we've had some fantastic holidays maybe that's the problem wink

leccybill Wed 27-Jul-16 16:29:19

Does it look OK in the photos?

I'm a slave to TripAdvisor usually, but last year we went to a newly opened place in Turkey which had many bad reviews. I considered changing the accommodation but glad I didn't in the end as it was actually fantastic and the reviews were just nitpicking. People are more inclined to have a moan on TA rather than leave praise.

Lower your expectations and then you might get a pleasant surprise?
What's the destination?

Chewbecca Wed 27-Jul-16 16:31:34

Can you name it / link to the reviews so we can see how worrying they are?

Costacoffeeplease Wed 27-Jul-16 16:33:36

Yes put on a link, maybe someone else will have been and can give an opinion?

MorrisZapp Wed 27-Jul-16 16:34:49

Have you spoken to him about it? Why did he book this place? Seems odd for adults to let others book their holidays without discussion.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 27-Jul-16 16:36:17

Tired and old fashioned isn't people saying its dirty and unhygienic. I think I would just say sod it. I'll have a drink, get some sun and see another country. I would eat out in the evenings anyway unless you're in the middle of nowhere

SilverBat Wed 27-Jul-16 16:49:47

I feel your pain!
Maybe you're like me, and when you get there you will just take a deep breath, compare the views to what you see when you look out of your windows at home, have a couple of drinks, and do what you are supposed to - relax!
That said, I was responsible for the holiday we just took. I spend ages pouring over Trip Advisor reviews, and specifically booked a certain priced room. When we got there we had been upgraded as it was my birthday. I must be one of the few people that actually asked to be downgraded back to the room we had booked grin

onceinawhilethere Wed 27-Jul-16 17:43:09

I can't figure how to do a link blush but hotel Alexandra laganas zante confused I'd looked at it and put it on my mental not to book list but after a few words of me doing far to many jobs whilst hubby is relaxing he did the deed much to my shock now horror serves me right for moaning in the 1st place wink

MiddleClassProblem Wed 27-Jul-16 18:16:08

I went to zante 14 years ago on a girls holiday. I can tell you it's all very walk able for restaurants etc. How do you feel about nightlife? It's got a big scene out there

Chewbecca Wed 27-Jul-16 18:16:18

Is it just you and DH or is it a family holiday?
If a family holiday, I would try to get the tour operator to move you to another hotel.
If just you and DH, I'd go with it, just sleep there & enjoy the beach, weather and try to find some good tavernas.

elodie2000 Wed 27-Jul-16 18:22:23

Same as me last year. I'd booked a caravan and saw reviews after booking which said that the vans were tired and old... The photos seemed to confirm this. We arrived and the whole park was fantastic including the caravan which overlooked the sea.
I nearly cancelled several times and was dreading it. Fingers crossed for you OP.

BusStopBetty Wed 27-Jul-16 18:32:52

Did you mean the Alexander? It's an 18 to 30 hotel. If you would really, really hate that can you swap? It says the upper limit is 35 - any chance you're over that?

Drowzeee Wed 27-Jul-16 18:39:31

The Alexander is the only one I can find as well and if that is the right one, I understand your concern!

It wouldn't be the cost of aircon, it being tired and old fashioned or the crap food that stopped me from going, it would be the fact that it is an 18-30 hotel. I've been on a few such holidays and whilst I had a great time in my twenties I wouldn't fancy it at all now I'm in my forties a bit older.

justaweeone Wed 27-Jul-16 18:57:35

Firstly how old are you and Dh?
Also what diet of holiday were you planning to have?lots of hotels in Greece are like this, basic rooms, pay for aircon etc
Haven't be AI in Greece ( or anywhere as part of the holiday for me is eating out) but food will probably be a bit basic however pool looks good and I've been to that resort when in my 20's (that was the early 90's)
and had a great holiday!
An few drinks and a bit of Greek sun and you'll be sorted grin

justaweeone Wed 27-Jul-16 18:58:13

Not diet
Kind of holiday!!!!blush

OnyK Wed 27-Jul-16 20:18:38

I usually look for 4+ stars on TA, but I've stayed in some 3/3.5s and they have been fine. Yes they've been basic and a bit dated, but not horrific!
You usually have to pay for aircon and safes in Greece and those prices are quite usual.

Having said that, the 18-30 thing would put me off too and that Laganas is quite a 'young' resort. I think I would try and change it, if I could. If not, contact the hotel and ask for a quiet room!

onceinawhilethere Wed 27-Jul-16 21:13:05

Were both a lot older than 50 with a small child sad---- I really really want to cry will call tour operator tomorrow or stay at home hmm

NoMudNoLotus Wed 27-Jul-16 21:16:22

OP flowers.

I honestly would stay at home.

Laganas is ok if your 20 .

NoMudNoLotus Wed 27-Jul-16 21:21:31

OP the bad reviews outweigh the good sad

Coconutty Wed 27-Jul-16 21:24:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now