School trip this weekend to Normandy

(20 Posts)
edmel Wed 27-Jul-16 00:18:27

This trip has been booked and paid for for several months. I have been more and more nervous about it since all the attacks in France - but after today's attack in Normandy I'm ready to tell my daughter I don't want her to go. I'm not at all bothered about the money, but am I ruining what would likely be a wonderful experience for her? Or being sensible by keeping her away from somewhere so volatile at the moment? It's the thought of being so far away if anything happened....
What would YOU do in my situation?

Graceflorrick Wed 27-Jul-16 00:20:44

I wouldn't allow mine to go and I'd happily pay for extra treats to compensate her your missing it. I'm a worrier though blush

atomsatdawn Wed 27-Jul-16 00:42:23

I started a thread about this earlier.
Mine was one of her only friendship group who didn't drop out of a Paris trip after the Charlie Hebdoe attack but she is due to go to Normandy with her new school soon and I don't feel comfortable letting her go tbh which annoys me as I don't want the bastards to win sad

dreamingofsun Wed 27-Jul-16 10:05:22

churches in the uk have also been put on alert.

you could look at this another way - and say - well they are going to be super-vigilant now, whereas before the Nice attack the security services in France look as if they were getting a bit slack.

would you let her go to London? thats probably just as dangerous

antiqueroadhoe Wed 27-Jul-16 10:14:01

It would ruin a wonderful experience.

Cancelling plans and holing yourself up at home is exactly what these terrorists want, and would also send the message to your child that your anxiety is in control of her enriching experience.

Nanasueathome Wed 27-Jul-16 10:15:38

My daughter and her family are in Normandy at the moment
They have no issues where they are but are keeping alert just in case

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Wed 27-Jul-16 10:23:08

Whereabouts in Normandy is the trip going in relation to Rouen? Because Normandy is bigger than Wales, so ask yourself: if there was trouble in Cardiff, say, would you stop her going on a trip to North Wales?

DianaMitford Wed 27-Jul-16 10:32:42

I'm not a worrier but I definitely wouldn't be letting my children go. It's sad, it's probably an overreaction but it's just too unstable there at the moment

NotSoFancyHanky Wed 27-Jul-16 10:37:54

I don't think I would let go either. Pre kids I would have gone but don't think I would risk kids now but compensate child somehow otherwise.

BurningButtocks Wed 27-Jul-16 10:40:09

Let her go.

CodyKing Wed 27-Jul-16 10:44:25

Id let her go - and have a nice time - these places tend to be more out of the way - and they haven't attacked twice in the same area - it will be safer then most cities

MrBoot Wed 27-Jul-16 10:50:29

I'm asking this for myself but teadcabove that French security may have been slack but honestly I can't understand how they can be on top of lone terrorists who are targeting ordinary people's lives. It is making me so anxious as I can't see how anybody can 'win' or how it will all stop.

MrBoot Wed 27-Jul-16 10:50:52

*read above

Abraiid2 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:22:56

My daughter was in France last week with an exchange, had a great time and said security at public places was very, very high.

LyndaNotLinda Wed 27-Jul-16 12:33:18

MrBoot - one of the perpetrators in this instance was wearing an electronic tag. They absolutely could have been monitoring his movements more closely, particularly as he'd already tried to get to Syria to fight.

OP - I would let your DD go. She is very, very unlikely to be caught up in a terrorist incident and she will have a marvellous time.

MrBoot Wed 27-Jul-16 12:42:16

I didn't know that but surely even if he was wearing a tag, he entered a church. What can they do? Monitor each individual? Chase to all locations he goes to? The only way they could effectively monitor him is if he was in prison.

I imagine they can monitor group activity more easily but one or two gunmen who possibly are outside a main group. It just seems so impossible.

Makemineacabsauv Thu 28-Jul-16 00:14:47

Let her go, we have no idea of where they will strike next and we can't live our lives hiding in a bunker. They could target a school, church, hospital in the UK, Croatia, Sweden, NZ or wherever next and we can't foresee what they will do. I bet security in France is super high right now. My dd was booked to go to a theme park with school in England days after the accident in M&Ds theme park in Scotland. So didn't want her to go but she went and was fine. She would have hated me not letting her go. It is a scary world we live in and we all want to keep our kids safe but we need to let them live life.

edmel Thu 28-Jul-16 11:42:42

Thank you for all your replies.

She wants to go. The school has checked with the FCO and ABTA and there is no warning not to travel, so they are going ahead.

So I've decided to let her go. But I'll be wishing the week away until she's back!

jenpetronus Fri 29-Jul-16 08:20:15

Try not to worry. I live here (in Brittany) there is extra security in busy public areas. She is no more at risk in Normandy than anywhere else.

SanityClause Fri 29-Jul-16 08:23:22

If she's going where I think she might be going, she'll have a fab time. (Two of my DC went to this particular place.) But, do make sure that you send clothes that dry easily, and a big plastic bag to pack them in to come home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now