Would you still go to France on hols

(13 Posts)
starwarsismyreligon Tue 26-Jul-16 19:15:18

We are due to leave for France in a few days for a campervan holiday, with young kids. Was nervous after recent attacks but today's news of the priest being murdered has got me really nervous.
We have planned Disneyland for the weekend, then on the open road, staying in Aires and campsites along general direction to med for a week.
We have the option of just driving through France and heading to Spain

What would you do??

hemel07 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:50:44

We are due to go a week on Saturday and I'm not sure if we're going to. Todays news was just the final straw. I know it can happen anywhere but it IS happening in France. I'm a nervous wreck just thinking about it. Its so sad.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 26-Jul-16 19:53:42

I'm going on Friday. Camping in Brittany, staying in Normandy en route. No second thoughts apart from the exchange rate and ferry delays

concertplayer Tue 26-Jul-16 19:55:01

I could not face the long delays due to security and low level of comfort
when travelling currently so I would not go anywhere this year.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Tue 26-Jul-16 19:55:48

going with bells on. France is stronger than this scum and so are we. I love France and I will not let these fuckers ruin it for me.

PippaFawcett Tue 26-Jul-16 19:57:01

We have got a holiday booked and we are going ahead. Fortunately we are flying, not getting the ferry. I know there have been a lot of incidents recently, but I genuinely think it could happen anywhere still.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Tue 26-Jul-16 19:57:17

Yes.

Gite in Brittany.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:58:22

Hmm. I don't know. Probably if planned. But I wouldn't make new plans to go,

NavyandWhite Tue 26-Jul-16 19:58:55

We are going next week. I've been very pragmatic about the attacks as absolutely terrible as they've been but admit that after today's murder of the priest I am unsettled.

DH is having none of it though. Just a horrible situation all round isn't it?

mrsmortis Wed 27-Jul-16 10:01:37

Am I a bad person in that it hadn't even occurred to me to question if we ought to cancel? We're going to Paris in 3 weeks. By Eurostar so we should avoid any problems at the ports.

I think maybe I'm so blase because I worked in London during the IRA bombings and I gained a 'you just get on with life' attitude.

MajorClanger123 Wed 27-Jul-16 11:38:06

I'm feeling nervous I have to admit (and also hate to admit!). We're going down south towards end of August. My inlaws also live in France (Normandy) so we visit alot, but this has left me feeling shaken.

I did, however, read an article after Nice attacks (but before yesterday) that the odds of being run over in the UK are still massively higher than being caught up in a terrorist attack in Europe. But I guess its a control thing - you feel you can somewhat control your odds of being in a road traffic accident, but not of somebody walking into a cafe and bombing the hell out of the place.

NavyandWhite Wed 27-Jul-16 11:46:12

MrsMortis I think it's better to have your outlook than worrying yourself to death.

DH is of the stance that what will be will be. I am to a degree but I am waivering a bit. The priests murder yesterday has really shaken me.

But if I cancelled next weeks holiday then what, never go into the city, never get on a plane, never go to a large shopping centre or a the tube. You'd just make yourself even more anxious and unhappy.

So we will be going.

rosy71 Wed 27-Jul-16 11:49:26

We are going to Brittany this weekend. We are taking the ferry to Brittany rather than Eurotunnel, which we usually use, because of all the hassle in Calais. Hoping all will be OK. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now