Dover/Folkstone Travel update thread

(16 Posts)
GoofyIsACow Sat 23-Jul-16 11:46:16

Hi all,
Last year when operation stack was in full flow there was a fantastic thread on here where people were posting from the queues and letting us know what it was really like, there were a couple of occasions that the police were saying there were hours long queues and in reality they weren't anywhere near that bad.
We are travelling a week on monday and I wondered if another thread this year might be useful?
I have read of massive delays in Dover today, we are going from Folkstone but worth knowing if it is going to be bad at this time of year.
Thanks all, all info welcome.

LocatingLocatingLocating Sat 23-Jul-16 22:14:22

Surprised not to see much mention of this on MN. Following the Port of Dover Twitter feed, the situation seems horrendous.
We're travelling end of next week, and hoping it gets better by then.
Apparently situation is going to continue for at least 36-48 hrs.

SkydivingFerret Sat 23-Jul-16 22:18:47

Looked awful today but local traffic can still get around folkestone and access to dover through Alkham valley but they're apparently closing that tomorrow so the care vehicles can get through. Quite a few unhappy people on my Facebook!

SellFridges Sat 23-Jul-16 22:21:32

My friend has been queuing 10 miles outside Dover since about 10am. Last update was about an hour ago and they were still nowhere near. She said lots of people had been throwing biscuits off the bridges to them.

She's settling her young children to sleep in the car tonight. Fortunately it's unlikely to be cold.

SkydivingFerret Sat 23-Jul-16 22:34:28

I was quite tempted to throw bottles of water to people but I didn't think they want warm half drunk bottles

QOD Sat 23-Jul-16 22:37:37

I'm in a village up above. We ventured down the hill at 6:30 and looked at the miles of traffic. Sucks

Palomb Sat 23-Jul-16 22:45:06

The French must be doing it intentionally surely? we were stuck for a couple of hours in Calais coming back last year and it was really shit. 10 or 12 hours must be almost unbearable sad

GoofyIsACow Sun 24-Jul-16 13:03:34

Oh dear, thanks all, i am also surprised I haven't seen more on the news.
I followed Kent police last year on twitter and that seemed a useful source of info too.

GoofyIsACow Sun 24-Jul-16 13:04:10

It always happens at this time of year, every single year, it's not a cooincidence...

GoofyIsACow Mon 25-Jul-16 23:41:08

According to Kent Police twitter, all Dover related roads back to normal.
Doesn't mention Folkstone but it wasn't affected from what I read.
Please keep us updated if you see different!
Thanks all

GoofyIsACow Sat 30-Jul-16 23:32:25

Just a quick bump for any info smile

ChicagoBullz Sat 30-Jul-16 23:35:27

I live nearby. Weekends are bad but weekdays seem as normal

GoofyIsACow Sun 31-Jul-16 10:23:34

Thanks Chicago, fingers crossed then!

KittensandKnitting Sun 31-Jul-16 10:31:31

I haven't heard any "news" about it and I am subjected to very long conversations from my family when there are any traffic delays and never hear the end of it when it's in full force.

They used the M20 yesterday no issues at all, or no more than normal - last year I had to travel when it was happening and took me over three hours to go around it...

QOD Sun 31-Jul-16 12:51:42

Totally normal today from jct 10 down to Roundhill Tunnels and beyond

ChicagoBullz Mon 01-Aug-16 07:43:43

www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/more-traffic-misery-at-port-99942/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now