Taking a Trunki on to a Ryanair flight as cabin baggage

(20 Posts)
vfoster Fri 22-Jul-16 15:29:06

Hi everyone, I'm flying with Ryanair next month and am considering buying a 'Trunki' suitcase for my 2 year old so she can take enough to keep her entertained.
I have spoken to Ryanair and Trunki and have been told that I can take it as cabin baggage, that I can't that it is too large and that I might be able to if the staff feel like it basically!
I'm really frustrated as it could cost us £100 each way to check it into the hold according to Ryanair.
Basically it seems that they might let us take it or might make us pay which does not help my anxiety!

Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience? If it makes any difference we have booked priority boarding!

Thanks for your time grin

dementedpixie Fri 22-Jul-16 19:46:20

I'd just take a backpack tbh. Easier to carry and not as bulky

BusStopBetty Sun 24-Jul-16 14:50:35

I agree, Trunkis are one of things that seems a really good idea, but are actually a pain in the arse. Take a rucksack so you have free hands for child wrangling.

BeaArthursUnderpants Sun 24-Jul-16 14:58:07

Another vote for a backpack. If you're flying Ryanair it's not long haul and I can tell you from experience that kids need a lot less for flights than you think. Why even take the chance on having to pay, especially if it's going to cause you anxiety??

Hersetta427 Mon 25-Jul-16 09:51:59

Trunki's look lovely but are a royal pain in the rear to open and steer. Second a backpack too.

mrsmortis Mon 25-Jul-16 10:21:29

Ryan Air's official twitter feed said in March that they would accept Trunki's as hand luggage. I'd print the page and take it with me. Possible after retweeting it to get confirmation.

twitter.com/ryanair/status/460065532730179584

But honestly, how far are you flying? We've done the west coast of the USA multiple times and while we take trunki we wouldn't need anywhere near it's full contents to keep the kids occupied. DD (age 4) can go away for a long weekend on the stuff you can get in a trunki. I will say that them always having somewhere to sit at the airport is a big plus though.

JeanGenie23 Mon 25-Jul-16 10:24:36

Just to add, I looked into buying a trunki for my 2yr old Dd and it does say on them only suitable from 36mnths+ I am not sure why, but I don't think they are worth the bother until the child is much older. You will k lay end up carrying it yourself!
At the minute the Disney store have Mickey Mouse suitcases on wheels (small hand luggage size) for £11.50

CMOTDibbler Mon 25-Jul-16 10:45:56

Take a rucksac instead. Trunkis are a pita, and for every child I've seen using one nicely in the intended way (I spend waaay too much of my life in airports) i see 20 with parents carrying trunki and child, trunki being swung into other people, parent trying to pull trunki and getting banged in the ankles etc. And they are hard to get things out of on the plane as they have to be opened up.

vfoster Mon 25-Jul-16 11:14:31

Thanks for your advice everyone!
We'd thought of a Trunki as my 2yr old is still having multiple accidents a day and won't gets a bit distressed in nappies (but I'm not a baby sad). We thought we'd need a bit of space for a few sets of clothes/shoes to be honest. Though we've been considering just dealing with the nappy thing.
I've managed to get Ryanair to tweet me confirmation even though customer service said absolutely not (they are far more accommodating on a public forum!) so think we'd be fine.
Now I'm reconsidering for the size! We wanted something large as we needed the extra clothes. Plus, we're only flying to Barcelona (not even 3 hours) but we are going to catch a cruise so would also need swimming stuff in our hand luggage. I've ordered one just to see it in real life but we may end up just trying to sqeeze it all in our hang luggage!

Thanks again!

MelitaInLondon Mon 25-Jul-16 11:15:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Danglyweed Mon 25-Jul-16 11:20:00

We always fly with ryanair, my two dd's always take their trunkis as hand luggage. But at 5 and 7 they are old enough to understand that we will not be pulling them along etc.

dementedpixie Mon 25-Jul-16 11:29:57

www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/4984737.htm#customer_reviews - maybe something like this?

FennyBridges Mon 25-Jul-16 11:32:03

We love ours. Really handy and all air lines have taken it, including Ryan Air xx

BillieMax Mon 25-Jul-16 12:04:50

BusStopBetty Mon 25-Jul-16 12:47:09

You can squash a hell of a lot into a smallish backpack. A trunki only has an 18l capacity. Get some extra large ziplock bags to separate items.

MelitaInLondon Mon 25-Jul-16 12:47:29

AuditAngel Wed 27-Jul-16 21:42:29

Please be careful letting a 2yo ride on a trunki, my daughter face planted the airport concourse and ended up with a lump like an egg on her forehead. We have banned them (plus we always seemed to end up carrying the blasted things)

Makemineacabsauv Wed 27-Jul-16 23:57:38

My friend's son used one two weeks ago on Ryanair flights. Agree that they are a pain in the areas although the teenagers in our party all wanted one!! We use backpack suitcases that can be trundled with a handle and wheels, carried by hand or worn like a back pack with the straps in a wee zipped pocket on the back of the case, dead handy and cheap,

monkeywithacowface Thu 28-Jul-16 00:07:40

Trunki's are a nightmare. Totally impractical. If you have other hand luggage plus a toddler I would say get a backpack.

lottiegarbanzo Thu 28-Jul-16 00:13:04

Ŵe love our trunki and the way it opens makes it easy for dd to pack it herself. It's useful for her to sit on in long queues. It's a friendly, familiar thing when travelling. Good for one-night stays at GPS' when at home.

It is now a risk to other people's ankles (so I have to accompany it behind dd, or pick up the trunki)!

It's capacity is quite small. You can get much bigger allowable hand luggage.

Yes, we used it as hand luggage with Ryanair recently. Checked measurements, all fine.

Yes priority boarding helps. You definitely get all your (permitted) hand luggage inside the plane. If space runs out, later passengers to board might have theirs moved to the hold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now