Bavaria, getting cold feet

(20 Posts)
nocakes Thu 21-Jul-16 23:27:29

Off to Bavaria in a few days. With 2 boys aged 8 and 10. Don't really know what we were thinking when we booked. Getting seriously cold feet as to how to entertain them in unpredictable weather.. We are used to wall to wall sunshine type breaks but decided we should show them something else. Panicking now...anybody been and has encouraging advice???

ShanghaiDiva Fri 22-Jul-16 14:15:07

I used to live in Bavaria (Regensburg) and summers were invariably nice and hot. Where are you going?
Lots of great museums and castles for rainy days.
Schloss Linderhof is great and you can combine this with a trip to Oberammergau home of the passion play. I really like the Deutsches museum in Munich. There are also plenty of cinemas showing films in English if you get really stuck. Also some great art galleries in Munich - neue Pinakothek for example. Munich also has a zoo.
Regensburg is a lovely city - there's the cathedral and the stone bridge across the Danube and the sausage kitchen next to it.
A trip down the Danube is nice and plenty of great walks - eg from the Befreiungshalle in Kelheim to Kloster Weltenburg.
You could take a trip down the Danube from Regensburg to Walhalla.
I am sure you will have a great time smile

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 22-Jul-16 14:25:46

We had one of our best holidays ever in Bavaria last year. We were near lake Chiemsee. We had 14 solid days of sunshine, it was too hot some days! We swam in three different lakes, hired bikes, saw the schlosses, went in a cable car up a mountain, ate lots of very reasonably priced meals out served by warm and friendly people. We also had 3 days in Munich which is an absolutely charming city. I envy you, actually! have a great time smile.

nocakes Fri 22-Jul-16 23:32:47

Thanks ! We are staying in Fussen. But given today's events we are wondering whether to cancel altogether. Feel scared and sad!

nocakes Fri 22-Jul-16 23:33:59

We have 7 nights in fussen booked followed by 3 nights in Munich.

ShanghaiDiva Sat 23-Jul-16 03:28:07

Agree - so tragic. My in laws used to live in Munich and I know that area by the Olympic stadium really well sad

Alasalas2 Sat 23-Jul-16 04:11:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wickedfairy Sat 23-Jul-16 18:54:15

If you cancelled every time something bad happened, no one would ever go anywhere!

We are going to the same place as you in a few weeks , can't wait! The weather looks warm, apart from a few storms. Go and enjoy!!

NotCitrus Sat 23-Jul-16 19:09:08

I'm off to Bavaria soon - not been there before and the kids have never been to a foreign-speaking country!

Not sure whether to hire a car - is Munich driving feasible and parking OK, or to be avoided? And how feasible are the most impressive Schloesser? Which would be best - dcs 8 and 5, plus MrNC loves castles.

Staying in Landsberg which looks nice and may want to go to the Ammersee. SIL and I speak reasonable German though Bayerisch could be interesting! Kids getting excited about icecream, sausages, cream cakes and different bread...

NotCitrus Sat 23-Jul-16 19:12:00

I live in London so figure most places are probably less risky for being blown up/getting shot or slashed up. Munich's probably safer than much of America with poorly-trained scared police (planning to visit family there next year...)

tasmaniandevil Sat 23-Jul-16 19:23:29

We had a holiday in Bavaria last summer, an hour south of Munich. It was brilliant, public transport was efficient and easy to navigate and the hotel gave us tourist cards which gave us free entry to loads of stuff.
Germany is a huge country, go and enjoy yourselves!

nocakes Sat 23-Jul-16 21:08:35

We have decided to go. We are going to try to avoid the underground in Munich as far as possible but otherwise we are just going to be sensible and vigilant. There is no point trying to predict what might/might not happen. You are all right, got to get on and enjoy. NotCitrus I am not really an expert, I recommend googling "Bavaria with kids." Several useful websites come up. The ciaobambino one gives some good info re castles. I think Munich is ok with a car but it's a very long time since I was last there, pre dc, don't take my word for it!!

nocakes Sat 23-Jul-16 21:11:13

NotCitrus my tag didn't work above!!

ShanghaiDiva Sun 24-Jul-16 01:15:10

I wouldn't hire a car to travel within Munich as public transport is excellent. When pils lived there, they only used the car to go outside the city.
Schloss Linderhof is about an hour south of Munich and a great day out which you can combine with the village of Oberammergau.

concertplayer Sun 24-Jul-16 21:45:03

Neuschwannstein is a famous castle In Bavaria built by the mad king
Ludwig. It is fantastic.
German cafes in Bavaria sell yummy cream cakes Order at the counter
not from the waitress
Sod the sados who want others to be miserable like them.
S germany is gorgeous

noramum Mon 25-Jul-16 13:03:15

Bavaria is great, Füssen beautiful and there is lots to do in bad weather. You may actually get nice weather.

We spend several holidays in Germany, we are German and use it to teach DD about it and practice her German skills. We never had boredom.

Take swimming stuff, the swimming pools are great, more waterpark style very often. You have great museums, lots of castles, zoos etc.

For Munich, the public transport is great, if you come from outside, Park + Ride is your friend.

pegitout Mon 25-Jul-16 18:07:30

Thanks noramum. I was wondering about swimming pools, have been googling but I haven't had much success. I am looking forward to it and now and the kids are excited. I do actually speak German too so may be brave enough to try it out!!

NotCitrus Mon 25-Jul-16 21:20:30

Thanks noramum. Is it likely to be a problem if the kids can't swim - will they be able to use a few small slides (ages 8x2 and 5)? Two love water and the other is terrified if gets splashed...

What is a 'Naturfreibad'? Unheated, nudist, has trees nearby, could mean anything!?

I'm assuming there are still excellent ice-cream sellers with small scoops so you can have 3-5 flavours including cinnamon, mint and ginger and others not commonly found here.
Am looking forward to the Konditoreien!

noramum Tue 26-Jul-16 12:47:26

Swimming depends on the pool. They often have either a big pool with lower areas for non-swimmers or/and a separate one.

Naturfreibad - I would classify it as a open air pool in a nature setting, trees around, lawn, not a lot of facilities. It could also be a natural pool like a lake.

For example we went here a couple of years ago:http://www.felsenbad.eu/

PaulDacresMicroPenis Tue 26-Jul-16 12:57:30

<waves>
we are off to Tannheim (just over the Austrian border) next week, I have reserved our tickets for the Schwangau castles as it is apparently very busy with huge queues at this time of year.
link here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now